Infiniti Q60 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my Q60RS is only a few weeks old and I've only driven it 3 times as I'm driving my other car until the lease is up on that one. The first time I drove it I noticed some brown drops of liquid near the fog light and front lip on the passenger side front corner. I wiped it off and didn't think anything of it. I thought it was something from the road that may have gotten on there. Well today, I drove it to work. I parked the car and look at the same area and there are more spots and drops of brown liquid all around the fog light and front lip. It appears to be oil from what I can tell. Any ideas what could be leaking oil that far up front and to be leaking on the outside of the car like that near the fog light?? I will bring it back to the dealer at lunch to see what they find. :|

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
3,698 Posts
So my Q60RS is only a few weeks old and I've only driven it 3 times as I'm driving my other car until the lease is up on that one. The first time I drove it I noticed some brown drops of liquid near the fog light and front lip on the passenger side front corner. I wiped it off and didn't think anything of it. I thought it was something from the road that may have gotten on there. Well today, I drove it to work. I parked the car and look at the same area and there are more spots and drops of brown liquid all around the fog light and front lip. It appears to be oil from what I can tell. Any ideas what could be leaking oil that far up front and to be leaking on the outside of the car like that near the fog light?? I will bring it back to the dealer at lunch to see what they find. :|
Let us know

·
Registered
153 Posts
So my Q60RS is only a few weeks old and I've only driven it 3 times as I'm driving my other car until the lease is up on that one. The first time I drove it I noticed some brown drops of liquid near the fog light and front lip on the passenger side front corner. I wiped it off and didn't think anything of it. I thought it was something from the road that may have gotten on there. Well today, I drove it to work. I parked the car and look at the same area and there are more spots and drops of brown liquid all around the fog light and front lip. It appears to be oil from what I can tell. Any ideas what could be leaking oil that far up front and to be leaking on the outside of the car like that near the fog light?? I will bring it back to the dealer at lunch to see what they find.
Maybe condensation from your air conditioner

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
3,698 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So the dealer said they find no leaks anywhere? I dunno ... this is strange indeed. They said maybe it was the road I was on and something splashed on the front of the car.

I will give it a few days and see if the mysterious brown oily liquid returns. I wish I were wrong, but I'm fairly certain something IS leaking. I thoroughly cleaned it up the first time I spotted it, and today there it was again appearing to be leaking from the fog light housing. My car is crying brown liquid wishing I drove it more?? I will let you guys know the outcome.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
3,698 Posts
So the dealer said they find no leaks anywhere? I dunno ... this is strange indeed. They said maybe it was the road I was on and something splashed on the front of the car.

I will give it a few days and see if the mysterious brown oily liquid returns. I wish I were wrong, but I'm fairly certain something IS leaking. I thoroughly cleaned it up the first time I spotted it, and today there it was again appearing to be leaking from the fog light housing. My car is crying brown liquid wishing I drove it more?? I will let you guys know the outcome.
Maybe a dog or cat is pissing on your car. Maybe the Tattaglias have something to do with it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
bird poop? jk! seriously, not sure what color of your car is but birds seem to like white-colored cars...i see most droppings on white than on any other color.

·
Registered
359 Posts
It might actually be a thing. My car isn't leaking anything onto the ground, but there is a consistent brown oily residue on the underside of my front lip. I'm not sure what it is or where it's coming from. I assumed I was picking it up from the road somewhere until I saw this post. I'll ask the dealership about it.

·
Premium Member
329 Posts
Is it really dark colored brown or more of a light color? Maybe a picture of the drops on the car would give us a better picture of where they are and what you're seeing? Did you drive it in the rain ever before seeing the liquid? It sounds like the liquid/oil you find drips out after you drive it which may have come from a puddle somewhere? If that was happening on mine I'd pull the bumper off completely for inspection but then again that's not something everyone is comfortable doing.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi, the car was washed after the dealer visit so the spots are once again gone. I drove it back to work and home and so far the spots haven't returned. However, if it is a small leak, it will take some time for it to ooze back down to where it is collecting.

As mentioned, my car has been driven 3 times since picking it up. No rain whatsoever. I dont think a picture is necessary anyways. It appears to be leaking around the black fog light housing on the front passenger side. From there it appears it is traveling down towards the lip in that corner (just a few inches from the fog light housing on the body colored lip).

Now, as mentioned, I wiped it off once a couple weeks ago. Haven't driven the car so I haven't really inspected it each day that it has sat in the garage. Got to work and saw the same brown oily substance around the fog light housing and a couple wet drips on the front lip in that area. I touched it and for all practical purposes it felt and looked exactly like oil.

I drove it home last night and parked it, but I do not see anything accumulating yet. I will inspect it every day to see if anything accumulates. I will report back if I see it again.

To me it is too coincidental that I wiped this off once already for it to come back in the exact same place and look exactly the same as it did 2 weeks ago. It is not from the road and although amusing, I do not believe it to be animal poop or pee.

The engine compartment is very tightly packed so I cannot see anything from the top. I would have assumed the dealer would have put it in the air and pulled the lower tray off to inspect it.

I believe the car has dual oil coolers correct? Where are those located? There has to be something located within the front bumper area that has a slow small leak.

Logan, it was medium to darkish clear brown, like somewhat fresh oil (100 miles on my car).

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
3,698 Posts
I believe the car has dual oil coolers correct?
There's a inter-cooler for the turbos that has it's own coolant reservoir, but I don't believe there are two oil coolers.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I would just take pictures for the dealership and tell em' to keep it over night and they'll see it for themselves if they want. Leaking oil is something you definitely don't want no matter how small the leak is.

I mean, you could just start tearing down the front end and figuring it out but why bother.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I've been doing some research and it appears there is a tiny heat exchanger for the air/oil cooler mounted towards the passenger side in front of the radiator. Possible the oil lines running to this thing have a tiny leak. I will def keep an eye on it in the coming days and start the car each day to see if I can get it to start leaking.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sadly it may be quite possible that it is or was an animal of some sort using that exact spot on my car as a toilet. I park nose in against the wall now in our parking garage and the spots havent returned. To think I was rolling this stuff in my fingers and smelling it ....

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
3,698 Posts
Sadly it may be quite possible that it is or was an animal of some sort using that exact spot on my car as a toilet. I park nose in against the wall now in our parking garage and the spots havent returned. To think I was rolling this stuff in my fingers and smelling it ....
:laugh: told you. I'll bet it's a freaking cat

·
Premium Member
329 Posts
HAHAHAHAHAHAH

Sorry I'm not laughing at you, just the irony of it. At least you didn't do a taste test!

·
Registered
359 Posts
Mine may have been coincidental timing. After a thorough wash and careful monitoring, the problem has not returned for a couple weeks. It must have been something I picked up on the road somewhere.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I'm sorry but that killed me lmao. But hey, it's kinda bittersweet right? It wasn't really an issue but you may have gotten some stuff on your fingers and nostrils that really shouldn't have been there lol. Could have been a lot worse ;)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts