Infiniti Q60 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been lurking here a little while to get a feel for ownership of this gorgeous car. I currently own a 2014 Lexus GS350 F Sport AWD. I purchased it 2 years ago as a CPO with 19k miles. It has 28k now. I absolutely love the car except for the fact that it's black. Looks great when clean but keeping it that way is a part time job.
But every 2-3 years I get the itch for another car. When I first saw the Q60 I was smitten. But with the Lexus being such a wonderful car I'm going to need a little convincing to trade, so I have a few questions for everyone here. Has anyone gone from a GS to the Q60? If so, any regrets or are you glad you made the switch? For the rest of you owners: do you regret your purchase? What car did you trade/sell for your Q60?
I'm only interested in the 3.0L with either 300 or 400hp. If I could find a lightly used RS at the right price I may not need much convincing to trade. My GS is fully loaded except for Mark Levinson and HUD so a loaded Premium or Sport may work as well.
I plan on driving a Q this week. And I do have a history with Infiniti. I owned a G35X for six trouble free years, the longest I've ever kept a car. That says a lot about the brand from both a style and mechanical perspective.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I have owned a LS 400, an IS 300 and a IS 250. I have owned a G35 Coupe and now a Q60 RS. Sorry haven't owned G350 but in general I have always thought of Lexus as great car with Mercedes as tier main competitor while Infiniti more of a BMW / Audi competitor.

This is just my general opinion but here are the reasons why I don't buy Lexus anymore;

1- In the early years Lexus provided great value. Everyone would ask me what is this car. Now that Lexus is successful, people buy it because of the name versus the product. Price has gone up while reliability is not as good. My early Lexus cars never broke but the last one has had numerous flaws and repairs.

2- Once I had an Infiniti I realized that it was a tighter ride then my various Lexus cars and I could never go back.

3- I always thought the GS series in the past was always kind of lost between the LS and IS. It seemed it existed because it fit in as a price point medium.

4- I just put $5,000 into my IS 250 for two axel replacements and other repairs. Yes its 7 years old with 100,000 miles but my other Lexus cars never hit me for repairs this badly.

5- Lastly a another personal preference. Who in their right mind likes that front grill -- its fooking ugly!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have owned a LS 400, an IS 300 and a IS 250. I have owned a G35 Coupe and now a Q60 RS. Sorry haven't owned G350 but in general I have always thought of Lexus as great car with Mercedes as tier main competitor while Infiniti more of a BMW / Audi competitor.

This is just my general opinion but here are the reasons why I don't buy Lexus anymore;

1- In the early years Lexus provided great value. Everyone would ask me what is this car. Now that Lexus is successful, people buy it because of the name versus the product. Price has gone up while reliability is not as good. My early Lexus cars never broke but the last one has had numerous flaws and repairs.

2- Once I had an Infiniti I realized that it was a tighter ride then my various Lexus cars and I could never go back.

3- I always thought the GS series in the past was always kind of lost between the LS and IS. It seemed it existed because it fit in as a price point medium.

4- I just put $5,000 into my IS 250 for two axel replacements and other repairs. Yes its 7 years old with 100,000 miles but my other Lexus cars never hit me for repairs this badly.

5- Lastly a another personal preference. Who in their right mind likes that front grill -- its fooking ugly!
Your points are well taken with some validity. To point 1. I value reliability more than anything when it comes to buying a car, truck, etc. thus my reason for buying the GS. Of all the Lexus products it has the highest Consumer Reports rating for reliability. Point 2. The GS F Sport in Sport + is as firm or more firm than my G35. It's not a brittle ride but is the right balance between sport and comfort IMO. Point 3. The GS has always been the black sheep of the Lexus line up, yet many owners believe it's their best car in the line up. Because it's somewhat unloved by some Lexus customers and pretty much ignored by much of the automotive press its resale value is considerably less than the run of the mill ES or RX or even the LS. Point 4. I haven't owned mine long enough to have had any issues pop up. Point 5. I agree, the "Predator" grill, especially in its current form is an acquired taste. The 2013- 2015 is a toned down version of the present wide open maw. My '14, being black, is the least objectionable looking. In F Sport and black it looks more like Darth Vader's helmet...lol! Once I drove the car I was able to look past it. I cross shopped the M37/Q70 and the BMW 535 and it won hands down.

With all that being said the Q60 has spoke to me in a visceral way. I joined this site because of that, not to defend what I already own. I'm "in the market" for a new car and the one that has my attention is the Q60. Infiniti has hit a home run with the styling both in and out. It's just absolutely stunning! I have a feeling I will be posting pics of one sitting in my driveway soon. I'm just looking for owners opinions on whether or not they are satisfied with their decision to own this work of art. Thanks Omenx for your honest assessment.

·
Registered
153 Posts
5- Lastly a another personal preference. Who in their right mind likes that front grill -- its fooking ugly![/QUOTE]

Totally agree about the grill

Reactions: Omenx

·
Registered
430 Posts
I owned my G35 Coupe for over 14 years and it was as solid as my LS 400 that I had for 13 years -- no real problems with either. I wouldn't say the same for my IS 250 AWD. I know Infiniti struggled with the Q50 out of the shoot so anything can happen. I was serious about an M4 but similar to Lexus, I think people buy them because of the name versus value / performance.

I saw my first Q60 on the highway this past week and liked that fact. BTW, I was at BMW dealership with the Sales and Technical guy and they were looking over the parking lot for a M4 to test drive. They couldn't tell one model from another looking 300 feet away! LOL true story.

Lexus, BMW, Audi all make great cars. You wont regret anyone of these you buy.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I had one. GS was a great daily driver. Needed more power. Build quality and materials were better on the Lexus. Never gave me a problem. Just wanted more sport with my next car so hence my new q60s awd.

·
Registered
93 Posts
On that note you should get the RS vs the 300hp 3.0T if you want a bigger leap in performance - it will be too close to the GS with the 300hp version in terms of power feel in my opinion (even if it is faster)

No regrets moving to the new Infiniti - it's just a different car - and that's what I was looking for

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Jeffos, sweet GS. Love the wheels and lip. Sitting on tannabes? The one thing I don't like on my GS is the wheel/tire gap. I'd like to have her lowered but don't wanna mess up the ride and alignment. What wheels are those?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
On that note you should get the RS vs the 300hp 3.0T if you want a bigger leap in performance - it will be too close to the GS with the 300hp version in terms of power feel in my opinion (even if it is faster)

No regrets moving to the new Infiniti - it's just a different car - and that's what I was looking for
Well, I went to the closest dealer yesterday (60+ miles) and drove a magestic white premium with driver assist, premium plus and cargo package. What a gorgeous car. Very Jaguar-like in its styling and visual beauty. I love how it has that hunkered down look. The character lines down the side cast a wonderful shadow that really accentuate its beauty. The rear end is unique without being overstyled like a Lexus RC. The aggressive front fascia, perfectly sized grill and "angry" headlights are both masculine and elegant at the same time.
So here's my assessment of the test drive. You are right Jeffos, the 300hp is very comparable to what I'm used to with the GS but daggone.....the Q60 is too quiet! The cabin noise is a little more evident, not objectionable, but I was disappointed in how quiet the exhaust is. The GS, with its "sound generator" emits great sounds in the cabin that's unexpected in a Lexus sedan. I was really expecting the sweet sounds I had with my G35X, probably the best sounding car I've had and was a little shocked at how subdued the Q sounded.
The seats were not the semi aniline and were comfortable but without the side bolster adjustment and super tight leather I'm used to, felt less sporty. In normal setting the steering was a little light and really didn't tighten up until on the highway. The steering wheel feels great. I found no objectionable blind spots but would still want BSM. Entry and exit to the car was easy for me, a big surprise, seeing how low the Q is compared to my GS. But after years of crawling in and out of 4 different S2000s I've owned getting in and out of the Q was not an issue. And I'm 65 years old and 6' tall. The Bose system sounds very comparable to the Lexus Premium. The limited time I had to test the handling proved enjoyable but closer to my GS than my buddy's 370Z.
My final assessment of the particular car I drove is its a great grand tourer that's so friggen beautiful to look at. But I guess I need to drive a Red Sport. The one the dealership had for test drives was out and my time was limited there so I didn't get a chance to drive one. Looks like I'll be heading back to the dealer soon.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Jeffos, sweet GS. Love the wheels and lip. Sitting on tannabes? The one thing I don't like on my GS is the wheel/tire gap. I'd like to have her lowered but don't wanna mess up the ride and alignment. What wheels are those?
Thanks Avant Garde wheels and it's on RSR Coilovers (it's AWD)

And yes try the RedSport - it will be the sport feel you'll like. Also ditch the run flat tires and it gets much much smoother.

For sound there is a new stillen intake that will add the GS intake sound you will like

1 - 12 of 12 Posts