Infiniti Q60 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Really?
I used to own a 2008 Infiniti G35-S and if I ever forgot the key in the trunk and shut it, the trunk mechanism wouldn't let the trunk actually clip shut. I thought that was a great mechanism and safety feature.
Yesterday with my 2017 Infiniti Q60 3.0T Premium, I was changing outside of my car whilst my fiance was inside the passenger side changing as well for our pre-wedding video shoot. I happened to throw all my belongings from my pockets into the trunk while I was changing and mindlessly shut it. As we come to leave I realized that the car wasn't responding to me and wouldn't open my driver's side door. It hit me, the keys are in the trunk (and by this time my fiance had already stepped out of the car and closed her door). I assumed the proximity of the key to the trunk would be sufficient (since it's in the trunk) to open with the taillight mounted trunk button. It wasn't. We were locked out. And stranded 2 hours away from home. Luckily, my fiance didn't lock the door and we were able to get in through her side. But that's a significant oversight. Driving this car after the G35, I'm really starting to get the impression that Infiniti cheaped out on a lot of the nice features that made my G35 so special. In all fairness, I love my Q60...but I'm upset about all the features that have been removed from the car that made it so practical in previous years. Step forward in looks, 3 steps back in functionality. At the rate Infiniti is dropping in quality, I may just move to another manufacturer when it's time for my next car.

·
Super Moderator
2,121 Posts
Have you tried it again at home without all the clothes in the way? If the signal from the remote is blocked by clothes or other things in your trunk, then it can't be picked up and the car won't know the key is in the trunk. I remember picking on my wife (long story) by intentionally leaving the keyfob in the trunk and shutting it only to have it pop back up without locking every time.

Heck, I just tried it again and not only did the trunk pop open, the car emitted a high pitched whine until I had pulled the keyfob out of the trunk and shut it properly. My other keyfob was no where close and sitting in a RFID blocking bag (where all my spare keyfobs are placed) so I know it was properly isolated and taken out of the equation.

Let us know if it does it again for you. If it does, it may mean either that the keyfob needs to be replaced or they need to check the receivers around the car. Check with both keyfobs in case it is the keyfob. Look at the clothes/bags that the keyfob was in or around. Metal lining or metallic based items (RFID blocking wallets, purses, etc.) can sometimes act like smaller Faraday cages to an extent and disrupt the signal from the keyfob.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Holy Cow just think if you stopped for a secluded birthday suit swim!

Reactions: testrage

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
I had the same thing happen on vacation in Colorado. Locked my key fob in the trunk and it did lock without warning and none of the outside lock buttons worked. The wife's key fob was back at the hotel some 20 miles away. We had her cell phone so we were able to get a locksmith to get into the interior but not the trunk. We used the trunk lock release button on the dash to open the trunk. The strange thing was before we opened the trunk I tried to start the car and it started right up with the fob still locked in the trunk. Also I found out you can't fold down the rear seats from inside the car.
Maybe it has to do with the switch in the glovebox to disable the trunk lock? I don't know will have to try it.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I think it can only happen if you lock the doors first and then shut the trunk's lid closed. Otherwise - you have to lock the car with lock button on the fob or car will keep beeping without getting locked if there is a key in the trunk

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Thinking about it, what happened was the car was already locked, I walked up to the car and opened the trunk. The Key was in a shirt, I put the shirt into the trunk and not thinking I closed the trunk. I never opened the car, I only opened the trunk using the push button on the rear of the car. I never used the key fob to lock or unlock the car. Strange!!!!

·
Registered
95 Posts
This happened to me but the key was on the passengers side. Ofc i was at home and i have the app. But i wanted to know how i can open it if i get locked out since sometime id leave my keys on tje passenger side and get out to work. Plus im still on a 1yr intouch free subs. I dont want to pay that just too expensive but it looks like its a business strategy for careless people like me.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
3,698 Posts
Also I found out you can't fold down the rear seats from inside the car.
Maybe it has to do with the switch in the glovebox to disable the trunk lock? I don't know will have to try it.
I believe the only way to unlock the rear seats is with the lock release straps that are in the trunk.

·
Registered
199 Posts
wow that sucked bro.. On my old G35 you could let down the back seat with the button on the rear deck.. Also, in regards to the key.. if you left the key in the car and you locked the door and close the door is would not lock and beep.. I'll try to lock my car and see what happens

·
Registered
7 Posts
i have only one key fob. Is the infiniti dealer my only option on getting a second one. I am a little paranoid of locking myself out and being totally screwed.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I believe so but I would order one from one of the discount Infiniti on line businesses. I know I ordered stuff form them in the past since they were members of our group here.

·
Registered
442 Posts
i have only one key fob. Is the infiniti dealer my only option on getting a second one. I am a little paranoid of locking myself out and being totally screwed.

Two new for $70. About $75 to program both. And the spare keys cut!

KeylessOption Keyless Entry...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
I locked myself out of my 2017 Q60 last night. I put my purse that contained the fob into the trunk and closed the trunk. The car did not give me any warning, it locked the entire car. This was a concern of mine when I purchased the car. I thought it was virtually impossible to lock the fob in the trunk. How did this happen and how do I prevent it from happening again?

·
Super Moderator
2,121 Posts
@Lynne, does your purse have built in RF blocking tech? Many have them nowadays. Even if it doesn't have it, it is possible that your purse shielded the fob's RFID signature from your car so the car couldn't tell it was in the trunk.

If possible, I would repeat by placing the fob by itself outside of your purse and in your trunk and see if it locks (see my post up top responding to the OP). If it does then I would take it to your dealer because it's not supposed to do that and is supposed to automatically reopen.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts