·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
3,207 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
3,207 Posts
No idea.. My impression was turbo failure would cause issues with the oil.
Yup, the turbos have an oil supply, but not a coolant supply

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Yea exactly. And the intercooler reservoir level is where it should be. No issues on that end.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
3,207 Posts
And the intercooler reservoir level is where it should be. No issues on that end.
Yeah, that just cools the air after it leaves the turbo compressor

Reactions: ChrisB351

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
@ChrisB351 You could also have an engine block with a porosity issue:

Q50 Coolant Loss (SOLVED)

If your oil has some miles on it, you could have the oil sampled and sent off to a lab for a Universal Oil Analysis (UOA) to check the oil for elevated Sodium and/or Potassium, which would indicate the coolant is leaking into the oil via a porosity issue.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Im thinking the same with the block. Ive read at least half dozen stories on here and facebook with the same problems. Ive read stories of these platforms along with some others too. As for the oil it might have 3k at most since last changed and still looks new. Level is just a hair below the max mark.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
As for the oil it might have 3k at most since last changed and still looks new. Level is just a hair below the max mark.
As I mentioned earlier, I think it would be a good idea to grab a sample of oil from your crankcase and send it for analysis. Could show something or nothing.

You could use an extractor, or crack the drain plug and allow enough oil to drip into a sample container, and then re-tighten the drain plug. The Blackstone Labs oil sample analysis is $30.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Update: Dropped off Monday. They had to start a case with Infiniti and the engineers said drop the oil pan and inspect. Upon doing so they found some evidence of sludge with some kind of film buildup coating everything and it was black. They sent pics to Infiniti and long story short I need a long block and both turbos. They didnt give me an explanation to why though. Heres where it gets worse. I work for a dealer and it was a trade in. I got it with 45.6k miles. The previous owner occasionally comes by for work stuff and Ive talked with him a few times. He said he did oil changes every 5k with amsoil oil and filter, never had any issues. Im at 58,170 miles and done 2 oil changes every 5k or so with oem filter and pennzoil platinum synthetic. I checked the level last week it was full and the color still looked almost new after about 2200mi since my last svc. It never appeared to have any buildup when draining or checking dipstick. The dealer only shows 1 oil change on record from 4k miles when the original owner bought it as a demo and due to that Infiniti wont cover it. I bought my 2 filters from the dealer through my work acct so odds of finding the invoices are slim and even then they wont show mileage. If the prev owner kept any records he didnt turn them in when traded and I assume after 8mo I doubt he still has them if he even kept it to begin with but Im going to try and get in touch. Im also going to call Infiniti customer service and see if I can get anywhere on it. As for now Im putting it back stock (wheels, jb4, bms heat exchanger and intakes, and fast intentions catback) and will be looking to trade it in. Im moving to a Ford dealer week after next. Ive always been a truck guy for the most part anyway, last 3 were Lightnings. Im leaning toward a new reg cab swb 5.0 and adding a blower or turbo.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I perform my own oil and filter changes since I've owned the car since new. One habit I got into with my last few cars is to collect an oil sample at each OCI and send it into Blackstone Labs for an oil analysis (UOA). Therefore, along with the oil receipts, I have a record of when the OCI was performed, and better yet, documents the oil condition.

FWIW, I've been using Valvoline Modern Engine 5W30 oil with the Nissan oversized filter for the last three or four OCIs. In addition, I also purchased the revised (shorter) dipstick (marked with a yellow dot on the orange loop) introduced in mid-year 2019 on the Q50 & Q60 VR30 engines. With the shorter dipstick, you can safely run an additional 1/2 quart above the listed capacity in the owner's manual prior to mid-year MY2019.

I know this info won't help your situation, but for other DIY Q60 owners it may be of some value in case of a engine warranty claim.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I asked for an oil sample but by the time they had already poured it all out. They filled it but didnt change the filter. Im taking my fast intentions catback off this weekend so I may go ahead and change oil and filter while its in the air. Im wondering if I should run some sort of cleaning chemical in it first.

·
Registered
5 Posts
2017 Infiniti Q60 Red Sport Coupe. Coolant loss update: They pulled the oil pan yesterday and said there was coolant in the pan. The dealership rep indicated to me that a new longblock and both turbos would need to be replaced. I am recently out of the extended warranty. However all service has been performed at the dealership. The said they are going to bat for me as this is a very unusual issue. The repair costs more than the value of the car. Almost 30K to fix.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
3,207 Posts
The repair costs more than the value of the car. Almost 30K to fix.
Then it's totaled. Is the dealership trying to get Infiniti Corporate to cover the cost? If they're willing to repair it, would make more sense for them to give you a credit for the fair market value of your car.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Then it's totaled. Is the dealership trying to get Infiniti Corporate to cover the cost? If they're willing to repair it, would make more sense for them to give you a credit for the fair market value of your car.
The dealership is going to bat for me to see if Infiniti will take care of it. I didn't buy it from them. I found it used at another lot with very low miles but from day one I have had the pre-purchase, recalls, every service, oil changes, tires, brakes, custom infiniti exhaust, cold air intakes etc. performed at the dealership. Never missing a beat. My fingers are crossed. If not they said Infiniti may make me a counter offer.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
3,207 Posts
The dealership is going to bat for me to see if Infiniti will take care of it. I didn't buy it from them. I found it used at another lot with very low miles but from day one I have had the pre-purchase, recalls, every service, oil changes, tires, brakes, custom infiniti exhaust, cold air intakes etc. performed at the dealership. Never missing a beat. My fingers are crossed. If not they said Infiniti may make me a counter offer.
Legally, if you are no longer covered by any warranty, Infiniti doesn't have to repair it or cover your out of pocket.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Legally, if you are no longer covered by any warranty, Infiniti doesn't have to repair it or cover your out of pocket.
There is that. This is my second Infiniti and I have loved both cars. I've been a good customer so hopefully something positive will come of this. This car has been my baby for sure.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Thats where an ext warranty should cover it. Infiniti denied my warranty cause I bought the car used with 46k miles and have no prior service records. Im at 58k now and as far theyre concerned its never had an oil change so theyre denying it.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
3,207 Posts
Thats where an ext warranty should cover it.
Yup, if you have an extended warranty, followed the maintenance requirements of the warranty, have documented proof of the performed required maintenance, have not violated any terms of the warranty, and if the warranty has not expired by time or mileage, then legally you would be covered. If the warranty provider breaks the contract then you have grounds for a civil lawsuit.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts