Infiniti Q60 Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No coolant that I could see in the intercooler reservoir, and low coolant below the MIN level in the engine coolant reservoir -the same levels hot or cold. Brought it to the dealer today and they said they couldn't find any leaks, and just topped it off. The car has 62k miles so I still have the factory powertrain warranty. All my oil changes have been performed by the dealer, obviously they have never mentioned anything abnormal about the oil. I did check the dipstick before my last oil change, it just looked black, no chocolate milkshake.

Only symptoms I can think of is I do believe I smell coolant while driving and obviously the empty/low reservoirs. The car is stock except for the helmholtz mufflers.

What would you guys do? The engine oil currently has 500 miles on it.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
3,699 Posts
What would you guys do?
Check the coolant daily per owner's manual. If it drops head back to the dealership because you should not suffer any loss even over a year.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Only symptoms I can think of is I do believe I smell coolant while driving and obviously the empty/low reservoirs. The car is stock except for the helmholtz mufflers.

The engine coolant could be disappearing because 1) a leaking water pump, thus the smell:

Possible water pump leak on 17 RS

or 2) engine block porosity, which allows the coolant to get into the oil. I would take a sample of the engine oil in about 500 miles (1k miles on oil), and send it off to Blackstone or another oil analysis company to check for higher than normal silicone in the oil, which would indicate coolant contamination.

Over on the infinitiq50.org forum, we have a sticky for engine block replacement, mainly due to porosity issues:

Consolidated VR30 Block Replacement Thread

Good luck!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies guys. I did check the water pump TSB, I didn't see any coolant by the pulley. The levels for both reservoirs were both filled to the Max by the dealer Wednesday when I checked the car right at the dealership and this is what I've seen since then:

Wed hot, intercooler coolant by Max, engine coolant by Max
Thurs cold, intercooler coolant by Max, engine coolant by Min
Thurs hot, intercooler coolant by Max, engine coolant by Min
Fri cold, intercooler coolant by Max, engine coolant empty
Fri hot, intercooler coolant by Max, engine coolant empty

I have ordered a pump and test kit from Blackstone, and will keep checking until then. I'll keep you guys posted. Thanks.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update:

Sat cold, intercooler coolant by Max, engine coolant empty
Sat hot, intercooler coolant by Max, engine above Min
Sun cold, intercooler coolant by max , engine coolant empty
Sun hot, intercooler coolant by max , engine coolant above Min
Mon cold, intercooler coolant by max, engine coolant below Min
Mon hot, intercooler coolant by max, engine coolant above Min

So I thought it was gonna be clear however the engine coolant has been fluctuating from slightly above Min to empty. I'd like it to be consistently empty so I can show the dealership. So a little bit of waiting for the oil pump so I can send a sample in for analysis, and waiting for the engine coolant to be empty to warrant another trip to the dealer.

·
Registered
‘17 Q60 RS 400
1 Posts
No coolant that I could see in the intercooler reservoir, and low coolant below the MIN level in the engine coolant reservoir -the same levels hot or cold. Brought it to the dealer today and they said they couldn't find any leaks, and just topped it off. The car has 62k miles so I still have the factory powertrain warranty. All my oil changes have been performed by the dealer, obviously they have never mentioned anything abnormal about the oil. I did check the dipstick before my last oil change, it just looked black, no chocolate milkshake.

I’m having the same problem right now. I have a 17 q60 RS with 20k on the dash and at a dead stop the engine temperature rises and the fan gets louder and louder. I’m thinking I either have a leaking water pump or porous block (once again)
Update:

Sat cold, intercooler coolant by Max, engine coolant empty
Sat hot, intercooler coolant by Max, engine above Min
Sun cold, intercooler coolant by max , engine coolant empty
Sun hot, intercooler coolant by max , engine coolant above Min
Mon cold, intercooler coolant by max, engine coolant below Min
Mon hot, intercooler coolant by max, engine coolant above Min

So I thought it was gonna be clear however the engine coolant has been fluctuating from slightly above Min to empty. I'd like it to be consistently empty so I can show the dealership. So a little bit of waiting for the oil pump so I can send a sample in for analysis, and waiting for the engine coolant to be empty to warrant another trip to the dealer.
Ive had the same problem on my ‘17 q50 RS and it resulted in them having to drop the engine and replacing it due to coolant getting into the oil. Now I’m having having the same exact problem on my ‘17 q60 RS as well but I only have 20k miles on the dash. I just bought the car in January and I’m already having problems 5 months in. The coolant is just disappearing and the dealer has no idea why because there aren’t any leaks. They replaced the water pump and it’s still doing the same ****. I’m bringing it in to them and once it gets fixed I’m trading the car in and never getting an Infiniti again!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I still wait for my engineer but this moment not fix my car.
I still have warranty and when fix this problem i think sell car.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The Blackstone oil report is in, and it has good news. It states the engine is wearing well and there are no signs of coolant in the oil (or fuel, or water contamination either). They recommend checking for external leaks regarding the missing coolant. I did check my coolant levels recently and they are not much different than what I reported a month ago.

Next trip to the dealer I will have them look again, when I floor it it does smell like coolant, they should be able to find it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I still wait for my engineer but this moment not fix my car.
I still have warranty and when fix this problem i think sell car.
I am in the same boat as you! I think I'm getting rid of the car, I have never had a car need an ENGINE at 6k miles before ans it seems alot of people have the same issue. I have been in many car communities and this the worst for failed engines

·
Registered
41 Posts
That's what I'm waiting on. 10 minutes after I dropped the car off the dealer said it needed a new engine. But infinti is dragging thier feet.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts