Infiniti Q60 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
742 Posts
all the steps or one in particular?
After marking the gear, does the sub-assembly just come out? Are their retaining clips/bolts to remove?

I'm mechanically-inclined, just never disassembled/re-assembled a differential...

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
all the steps or one in particular?
After marking the gear, does the sub-assembly just come out? Are their retaining clips/bolts to remove?

I'm mechanically-inclined, just never disassembled/re-assembled a differential...
once you drop the ring gear off and slide out a large dowel holding everything together the gears pop right out. You then either replace them with new gears or reinstall with your machines gears. Then slide the LSD upgrade in the middle. Once it's in there you have to pop 2 little clips off of the LSD upgrade which allows the springs to give tension on the gears. After the clips are popped off you remove the 4 small dowels on the LSD upgrade that held those clips in place.

·
Registered
203 Posts
This is the same thing as Phantom Grip LSD's

I thought this was a legit LSD..

Either way, these units have been used on the racing circuit for decades.

But they do work, just not a true LSD

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
^^

Correct!

I have in the plans for future stage of the car.
Cool. I'm coming up on my 1000 miles so I'll be changing the diff fluid and can report back what kind of break in based on the oil. Plan to do it again in another 1000 miles to see if the wear stops or continues.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Anyone know if older 3.7L Q50 differentials fit the new Q50s and Q60s? I know part number 38301-4GD4A from the 3.7L Q50 has the 3.3 gear ratio and you can find them way cheaper than what the actual Nissan 3.3 ring and pinion part would be.

That way I could kill two birds with one stone and not even have to have the Q out of commission while I'm building the diff.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Anyone know if older 3.7L Q50 differentials fit the new Q50s and Q60s? I know part number 38301-4GD4A from the 3.7L Q50 has the 3.3 gear ratio and you can find them way cheaper than what the actual Nissan 3.3 ring and pinion part would be.

That way I could kill two birds with one stone and not even have to have the Q out of commission while I'm building the diff.
From my searching everyone showed the stock diff as 2014-2019 as the same. However the cost is basically the price of the Z1/AMS units and likely weaker. Either way the LSD upgrade is literally less than a day's labor so you wouldn't have the car out of commission anyways.

·
Registered
24 Posts
From my searching everyone showed the stock diff as 2014-2019 as the same. However the cost is basically the price of the Z1/AMS units and likely weaker. Either way the LSD upgrade is literally less than a day's labor so you wouldn't have the car out of commission anyways.
Perfect, I am going to get a used one, they're like $250 on eBay. It's also about getting the 3.1 gear ratio for me because I currently have the 2.9.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Perfect, I am going to get a used one, they're like $250 on eBay. It's also about getting the 3.1 gear ratio for me because I currently have the 2.9.
Going from a 2.9 to a 3.1 is not really a big jump in performance (<10% increase in ratio). I assume you also know you'll need a retune to adjust for the added gearing. The higher gear ratio is also weaker than the 2.9. Your money and time, just some info.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Going from a 2.9 to a 3.1 is not really a big jump in performance (<10% increase in ratio). I assume you also know you'll need a retune to adjust for the added gearing. The higher gear ratio is also weaker than the 2.9. Your money and time, just some info.
Yeah, I know its not a huge leap but I'd be kicking myself for not doing it while I have the diff out and everything. Also, what do you mean by a retune? You mean for the speedo?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Yeah, I know its not a huge leap but I'd be kicking myself for not doing it while I have the diff out and everything. Also, what do you mean by a retune? You mean for the speedo?
Changing the effective final drive ratio doesn't just impact speedo. The transmission shift tables are also impacted since shifts are based on throttle position and speed.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Gotcha, I'll keep that in mind. Does anyone tune our transmission yet?
I think a regular ECUTEK tune will fix it since there's got to be a table for gear ratio, I was just pointing out that you can't just swap gears and only have the dash speedo off since speed effects other things.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I think a regular ECUTEK tune will fix it since there's got to be a table for gear ratio, I was just pointing out that you can't just swap gears and only have the dash speedo off since speed effects other things.
Thanks, I appreciate you warning me then.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
1000 mile diff change done. Pretty easy to change it actually. Lots of fine particles as expected. Nothing that was alarming and no pieces is always a good thing. Will update next change in another 1000 miles.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts