Infiniti Q60 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone done this? How does it sounds. Is it even a good idea? I know these OEM ones suck. Also if anyone has LDPs and a muffler delete may you post a video? Thanks.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I ran AMS lower downpipes, Infiniti Motorsports Helmholtz axle-back, and OEM Y-pipe and mid-pipe. It sounded fine--a little bit louder than stock, but not by much. The OEM Y-pipe and mid-pipe are severely limiting, so a lot of noise is dampened. I imagine with the OEM axle-back, the noise will be even further reduced but still barely louder than OEM.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I'll be doing that very soon. Just ordered FI LDPs from Kevin, so I will install those when they arrive. I already have the Infiniti Sport Axle Back (no muffler version) installed with stock everything else. It sounds much louder than stock already, especially on cold starts. I can try to grab a cold start video/soundclip of just the Sport Axle Back later today, if you'd like. I can also do another once the LDPs are installed.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have the AMS LDP's on the otherwise factory exhaust on a Sport (non-RS), very minimal change in sound. I did notice the turbos seem to hit a little harder once they spool up, also not a huge change, best done in conjunction with a cat back exhaust.

·
45 Posts
Sound increase is minimal when installing lower downpipes with the factory exhaust system. Performance increase is also minimal due to retaining the restrictive stock exhaust system.

For best results I'd recommend replacing the cat-back exhaust in conjunction with the lower downpipes. We picked up 34 WHP / 46 WTQ on Red Sport models and 43 WHP / 25 WTQ on Base models. Keep in mind that these performance gains were also without a tune.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Sound increase is minimal when installing lower downpipes with the factory exhaust system. Performance increase is also minimal due to retaining the restrictive stock exhaust system.

For best results I'd recommend replacing the cat-back exhaust in conjunction with the lower downpipes. We picked up 34 WHP / 46 WTQ on Red Sport models and 43 WHP / 25 WTQ on Base models. Keep in mind that these performance gains were also without a tune.
I have the Infiniti mufler delete and I plan to get the LDP. What would the power benefit if buy CTE too?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
149 Posts
I have the Infiniti mufler delete and I plan to get the LDP. What would the power benefit if buy CTE too?
The Infiniti Motorsports axle-back exhausts do not increase performance. The two largest bottlenecks are the catalytic converters in the lower downpipes and the Y-pipe/mid-pipe. A cat-back exhaust will improve performance by alleviating the bottleneck of the Y-pipe/mid-pipe.

·
45 Posts
Exactly what Malmby said before me; the Infiniti muffler delete does not increase performance, it's purely a sound increase.

As stated above, we picked up 34 WHP / 46 WTQ on Red Sport models and 43 WHP / 25 WTQ on Base models when installing our cat-back + lower downpipes.

Let me know if you have any questions.

·
45 Posts
ead here in the forum that changing the pipes can result to excessive smoke and failed turbo. Is this true and if it is what can we do to prevent this problem?
We've sold hundreds of Q50 / Q60 exhaust systems and lower downpipes over the years and have not experienced this with our customers.

Changing the cat-back in conjunction with the downpipes ensures that you are relieve adequate back pressure from the turbos.

·
Registered
588 Posts
@[email protected] INC. I read here in the forum that changing the pipes can result to excessive smoke and failed turbo. Is this true and if it is what can we do to prevent this problem?
The DPs/LDPs/CBEs are not the problem. Infiniti could have a design issue with the early revision turbos (2016-2018 w/EGT sensor), but also maintenance and driving habits can play a factor, too.

For example, after a cold start, I try to stay out of the boost until my oil temperature is > 140 deg F - JB4 and Ecutek users can use the app to monitor temperature, otherwise, give the engine sometime interval to achieve a "warm" oil temperature. Also, before shutting down for extended time (i.e., at the end of your drive home from work), stay out of the boost for the last 5 minutes of the drive so the turbos aren't heat-soaked at shutdown. I also open my hood after pulling into my garage to allow the engine heat to escape (yes, I know, not all Q owners have garages...)

As for maintenance, do not follow the 10k mileage OCIs. Stick to 5k oil & filter changes. I use Valvoline 5W30 Modern Engine Oil and the Nissan-branded OEM Oil Filter. This oil/filter combination and OCI has consistently netted good oil analysis results from Blackstone Labs.

These driving practices and maintenance intervals have given me long turbo life on other platforms, so I'm following this same regiment with this VR30 engine.

Note: Stay away from running ethanol blends (i.e., E85), unless you want one or more stuck injectors and potentially hydro-locking the engine. I don't, but some Q50 & Q60 VR30 owners have found out the hard way...

·
Registered
56 Posts
@IridiumRS400 thank you for all the advise and knowledge you share with us here in the forum. I now feel more confident that modding my car.

I live in Chicago, do you think using 5W-30 will have bad effect on the car specially on the winter time?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
588 Posts
@IridiumRS400 thank you for all the advise and knowledge you share with us here in the forum. I now feel more confident that modding my car.

I live in Chicago, do you think using 5W-30 will have bad effect on the car specially on the winter time?
The pumpability difference between 0W20 and 5W30 will not be seen unless the temperature is -30ish deg F and under.

From the Valvoline site, here's the difference (not much) between the cold pour points of their 0W20 and 5W30:

I know Chicago can get cold, but 5W30 will still flow for the expected winter temps in that region.

·
Registered
588 Posts
@IridiumRS400 Is this the oil filter you use? It showing that it does NOT fit to my 2017 Q60 RS 400 AWD.
LOL. Don't trust Amazon - they have had a spotty record in "proper fit" of auto parts. That P/N is the Nissan-branded OEM oil filter as fitted at the factory for the VR30DDTT engine.

Here's a link to Z1 Motorsports with the model applications:

OE Nissan Oil Filter, Performance OEM and Aftermarket Engineered Parts Global Leader In 300ZX 350Z 370Z G35 G37 Q50 Q60 - Z1 Motorsports

I have been using the "oversized" Nissan-branded oil filter, P/N 15208-9E01A. For reference, Z1 Motorsports has it listed on their site:

OE Nissan Oversized Oil Filter, Performance OEM and Aftermarket Engineered Parts Global Leader In 300ZX 350Z 370Z G35 G37 Q50 Q60 - Z1 Motorsports

Obviously, either P/N will work for the AWD. I'm told the oversized filter is a little tight for the RWD applications, as the filter points to the passenger side, vs forward for the AWD.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts