Infiniti Q60 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Vendor
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everybody!

Nick here from Mishimoto! I just wanted to kick off this thread since we're a few weeks into our Q50/60 performance intercooler development, and we're really excited to share! The 3.0T that Infiniti crammed under the hood of these vehicles is quickly becoming a favorite here at Mishimoto, and we're stoked to take this platform even further. Make sure that you're following along with the development here, and on our Engineering Blog:

TRICKLE DOWN POWER – PERFORMANCE INTERCOOLER KIT R&D, PART 1 – STOCK REVIEW

For those not familiar with the concept of air-to-water intercooling, let’s dive in for a crash course. The end goal for any intercooler is to pull heat from the charged air and provide the engine with cooler, more dense air, providing better combustion. Where an air-to-air system uses a fresh air source to achieve this, an air-to-water system utilizes coolant. While these systems are more complex than their counterparts, they have plenty of advantages.

For starters, water, the primary ingredient in coolant, has a superior thermal conductivity than air and is much more effective at whisking away the heat from your charged air, resulting in much more consistent intake air temperatures. Also, since the coolant is constantly cycling through the system thanks to the pump, or pumps if you opted for the Red Sport, the intercooler is less prone to heat soak.

The primary heat dissipation of the air-to-water system is performed by an additional radiator, otherwise known as a heat exchanger, which is typically added to the vehicle’s cooling stack. This means there is much more flexibility on intercooler placement in the engine bay. For example, the intercoolers in the Q50 and Q60 affix directly to the throttle bodies, eliminating any need for long intercooling piping and significantly increasing efficiency.

We've got big plans and plenty more to come, so make sure that you keep your eyes peeled!

As always, don't hesitate to reach out with any questions!

Thanks,
Nick

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
3,699 Posts
Welcome

Reactions: Mishimoto

·
Registered
15 Posts
I love how new stuff is still being developed for this platform, makes me all warm and fuzzy with my recent acquisition.

Reactions: Mishimoto

·
Vendor
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Absolutely! Make sure that you check out some of the other products we've already developed for this platform too!

-Nick
My guess is when you guys produce the final configuration for the ICs, it will likely mean the OEM engine cover will go bye-bye. Have you considered designing an engine cover that would complement the installation of your newly-designed ICs? Just a thought...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts