Infiniti Q60 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
3,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you use to protect/preserve the moonroof gasket?

·
Registered
359 Posts
I haven't found any preservation products yet, but one thing I do is NOT wax it. I've heard that getting car wax on the seals/gaskets will kill them.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Always good to clean it down first before applying anything. Cleaning it would rid it of any oils and dirt that could lessen the adhesion for the 303.

·
Super Moderator
2,121 Posts
Yeah, take a damp cloth and give the sealing gaskets a quick wipe down. Also, make sure there's no debris anywhere. There a few squirts of the 303 followed by a wipe down with a clean microfiber cloth or something similar and you should be good for a few months.

·
Registered
95 Posts
We use silicone spray (spray it on a cloth, then apply). Is 303 silicone? It won't damage the rubber and lasts a few months to a year.

Me? I never open my sunroof. I wish I could have spec'd the car w/out it.

·
Registered
81 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Q60 Red Sport AWD
19 Posts
Wondering the rationale out of sheer curiosity. The sunroof gasket on my last car ('09 G37S) was A-OK for the 8 years I owned it, with zero preventative maintenance.

Is there any specific reason people are concerned with this for the 2017s?

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
3,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wondering the rationale out of sheer curiosity. The sunroof gasket on my last car ('09 G37S) was A-OK for the 8 years I owned it, with zero preventative maintenance.

Is there any specific reason people are concerned with this for the 2017s?
Do you live in Texas? Yesterday (02/12/17) it hit 87 degrees F.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
3,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
327 Posts
When you live in areas where you get super hot or super cold, you definitely want to tend to rubbers and seals that could potentially get dried out and start cracking/failing.

·
Super Moderator
2,121 Posts
Also to add to what Prestige & Bevo wrote, folks that live close to the coasts may see greater degradation due to the increased salinity in the air. Couple that with high temps or low temps, higher UV exposure, and you could see premature failure or failure after warranty (which would mean high replacement costs).

·
Registered
81 Posts
What if I get it on the surrounding area? I'm guessing it won't discolor the body paint or anything?
No, it won't hurt the paint, but if you want to avoid any clean-up, a Q-Tip is a perfect applicator.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts