Infiniti Q60 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2000 miles on my car. After having it for one week, I immediately noticed a shutter at 30 miles per hour after slowing from 60. I took it to the dealer who indicated the wheels needed aligning. Really, after driving it less than 1 week? Anyway, they aligned the wheels and initially, the issue seemed to be resolved but now it is back. The dealer had the car for a week and indicated they could find no problem and also did not feel the shutter when they drove it.

I agreed to take the car back but I still feel the shutter every day I drive it sometimes at high speeds. In reading forums posts, I see that older models of the Infiniti have had this shuttering issue and after much pain, the dealer either replaced the transmission or the CVT (whatever that is). This morning smoke was blowing out the exhaust.

The ride in this car sucks and I'm concerned at each moment for my safety. Anyone else with a newer model car experiencing this 'shuttering' issue??? Help!

·
Registered
500 Posts
You should contact Infiniti Corporate and open a case with them, see what they can do. Even look into your local lemon laws, to see at what point can it come into play with your Q60.

Keep us posted on how things go.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Did they re-balance the wheels when they did the alignment? Do you feel the shutter in the steering wheel or the brake pedal?

If you feel it in the steering wheel, and you feel it at high speeds while NOT braking at all, it's probably unbalanced wheels.

If you feel it in the brake pedal and/or the steering wheel WHILE braking, it's probably bad rotors/pads. In 2007 I bought a brand new Nissan Maxima that came with warped front brake rotors. This manifested in a shuddering during braking. I made them replace the pads and rotors. They wanted to just machine the rotors, but I insisted on new ones. No problems after that. You should insist on new ones, too, if this is your problem. They're clearly defective if they're warped already.

I'm not an expert. Just sharing a similar problem I once had. Make sure you're assertive, though. Whatever the issue is, they need to figure it out and fix it. Nothing else is acceptable on a brand new car with 2000 miles. I'd try to return it using the lemon law if they can't do anything.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I have 2000 miles on my car. After having it for one week, I immediately noticed a shutter at 30 miles per hour after slowing from 60. I took it to the dealer who indicated the wheels needed aligning. Really, after driving it less than 1 week? Anyway, they aligned the wheels and initially, the issue seemed to be resolved but now it is back. The dealer had the car for a week and indicated they could find no problem and also did not feel the shutter when they drove it.

I agreed to take the car back but I still feel the shutter every day I drive it sometimes at high speeds. In reading forums posts, I see that older models of the Infiniti have had this shuttering issue and after much pain, the dealer either replaced the transmission or the CVT (whatever that is). This morning smoke was blowing out the exhaust.

The ride in this car sucks and I'm concerned at each moment for my safety. Anyone else with a newer model car experiencing this 'shuttering' issue??? Help!
Now I am not a mechanic, but what was stated below about "rotar/break" causing shuttering when breaking may be true. My 2012 Kia has the same shutter and it was because of it. Now not saying it would be same reason but worth to check out/ask

·
Registered
500 Posts
Now I am not a mechanic, but what was stated below about "rotar/break" causing shuttering when breaking may be true. My 2012 Kia has the same shutter and it was because of it. Now not saying it would be same reason but worth to check out/ask
Past experience is always valuable in these situations since often a lot of components function the same and they function in that same way for years.

Hopefully what you said ends up providing real direction to solving it.

·
Registered
591 Posts
If smoke is coming out of the exhaust, it's best to bring it in to the dealership and maybe ride with them when they test drive it so you can point out the shuttering.

·
Registered
308 Posts
That's typically the best thing to do ^^

Go with them on the test drive so you can re-create the situation so they feel it. The smoke thing on the other hand, that's something really important to bring up.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Smoke out of the exhaust could be Turbo issues

·
Registered
327 Posts
I know this may sound STUPID to ask but it must be asked...

What type of gas are you using? Are you going to some run down gas station putting regular gas, or are you putting premium 91+ octane at a tier 1?
That's not stupid at all, very very valid question right there.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Mine has a slight shutter as well

I noticed a shuttering (but no smoke coming out of exhaust) when I first picked up my Red Sport. I had a 2014 Q50 that ran so smoothly that there were times that I didn't think that the car was actually running. I think that they fine tuned that older VQ engine to as close to perfection (as they could make it) after all of those years in use.

My guess is that some of this, not all of it, is a function of the new VR turbos. I notice it more in the Red Sport models that I tested, and in my own Q60 RS, than in the 300 hp models I drove.

I had a previous car, a 4 cyl. 270 hp turbo 2012 Buick Regal GS that also shuttered a little bit while at idle and at around a 30-40 mph shift point. I also remember that I would see more exhaust coming out of it, as well.

Just giving my 2 cents. I hope that you can get things worked out for you.

·
Registered
359 Posts
It's "shuddering", by the way.

+1 for the question about fuel type. The high compression engines are very sensitive to octane rating, so make sure you're using at least 91 AKI, per the owner's manual.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Holy thread resurrection batman.

A) original post was about a QX60 problem, not a Q60.

B) Even if it were a Q60, given the date of the OP, it would be about the old Q60, not the new one with the tt engine.

Reactions: Garnoch

·
Super Moderator
2,086 Posts
The new VR seems to stutter a little at start-up for me probably because of direct injection but the original post was actually about a convertible Q60 (probably a 2014/15 since there weren't any Q60s in 2016).

"Shuddering" or "stuttering", whatever it was on those wouldn't have been normal given the setup of the VQs.

Also, the OP hasn't been seen in about 2 yrs now so I doubt they're coming back for any input even assuming she still has her car. I'd recommend starting a new thread in this section if you have issues so that it gets better visibility :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts