Infiniti Q60 Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering if someone knows the answer to this. I am considering getting a cquartz finest nano coating and wondering if anybody knows if this coating has any effect on the self healing clear coat? I do believe the Q60 has this as my salesman said it does ,and is an improvement on the original clear coat that first was developed. Thanks in advance !

·
Registered
159 Posts
If its anything near in quality to the self-healing paint that was on my 2010 G37, any ceramic coating will be significantly better and stop the paint from even needing to heal in the first place.

I bought my 2010 G37 used, (3 year lease prior to me), got it detailed and ceramic pro'd in year 5 and the paint needing a lot of work to get back to perfect and it still wasn't.

My recommendation would be to get it coated ASAP. I had Ceramic Pro on my G and I'm trying out G Techniq this time around. IMO, car looks way better with the coating on it and the fact that cleaning it is way easier is worth it on its own. Here's a picture of my Q60 right after being coated. https://www.instagram.com/p/BSXEBedhu7H/?taken-by=gavingwiebe.

Reactions: Mikesheree

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Gavin,

I know someone that applied this coating to their GT3 (not metallic) but have seen pics of a blue Q60 on this forum and i's amazing how it sparkles with metallic paint. Love your Red Sunstone. I am Canadian as well, it would have been my colour of choice, but with 2 boys the white interior was not an option. I get myRS on Saturday in Majestic White. As you can imagine I can't wait. Just sold my 2008 G37, been waiting for the successor for a long time!!!

How much did you pay for the coating. I live close to Toronto so the prices seem high as one would imagine.

·
Registered
95 Posts
A) Your salesperson is full of it.

B) It won't affect the self-healing paint because your car doesn't have self-healing paint.

"Self healing paint" was a marketing feature that Infiniti claimed back years ago. It was sort of like the door stops on the current Q60 that are supposed to hold the door open at any angle - but don't actually do squat. When I worked in software, we called this marketingware. I don't think Infiniti has made claims of self healing paint for at least 6 years.

·
Super Moderator
2,121 Posts
Yeah self healing paint was some major marketing BS from Nissan/Infiniti. That and the paint that self cleans from the Leaf commercials. These guys can barely put on a proper coat of paint without orange peal...would you really trust them to put on self-healing paint assuming it exists?

Btw, I thought ceramic coatings and the like were snake oil. Having actually gotten GTechniq C5 or wotever put on the car, I can say that it makes it easier to clean the exterior of the car. Tree sap, bird droppings, insect guts, etc come off much more easily although I have still had to use bug/tar remover. Considering I spent less than $700 on it (including a $200 prep charge), it was well worth it imo.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Thanks Gavin,

I know someone that applied this coating to their GT3 (not metallic) but have seen pics of a blue Q60 on this forum and i's amazing how it sparkles with metallic paint. Love your Red Sunstone. I am Canadian as well, it would have been my colour of choice, but with 2 boys the white interior was not an option. I get myRS on Saturday in Majestic White. As you can imagine I can't wait. Just sold my 2008 G37, been waiting for the successor for a long time!!!

How much did you pay for the coating. I live close to Toronto so the prices seem high as one would imagine.
I went with Black interior :). Didn't want to deal with white either, even though its just me.

Congrats! Definitely jealous of your friends GT3's as well, I'd love to eventually own one.

I think the normal prices vary between 700-1500 depending on how many layers you get done, if its your first car, cash etc... you can probably lower that. My G had 4 layers of Ceramic Pro on the outside, and a layer of heavy on both my sets of rims. Depending on how long you plan on keep the car I'd let that decide what you want to do. I personally did 2 layers on the inside, outside and a layer of heavy duty G Techniq stuff on the wheels, as I'm hoping to upgrade in 3 years to a new toy, so no need to go completely overkill.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I was planning on applying Chemical Guys Carbon Flex c9 coating and the videos mention clay barring the vehicle to decontaminate it. I've had my Q60 3.0 for just over a month, should I clay it or is just over a month of being outside not enough contamination to warrant it?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Coatings are very very much so worth it. Make sure the car is polished before it goes on.

Reactions: grtday

·
Registered
28 Posts
If i could rewind time, i would get the front bumper wrapped with either suntek or xpel. then ceramic coat the entire vehicle.

I ceramic coated my car right after the dealership but it will not protect you from rock chips.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Yes, the Nano coating will interfere with the Self-Healing paint feature, as the paint can no longer stretch to re-seal a small scratch.

That said, I'd still go with the coating.

When I first got my Q60, I didn't have a coating on it because I was cheap and thought I could get away with it. Within 2 months, several rock chips were showing up all over the car. After a nano coating and a clear bra install, very seldom do I see any new paint chips after having this vehicle for over a year. It was well worth loosing the "self-healing" paint feature, which does nothing on larger damage to the paint anyway.

Of the 3 nano coatings that I've had on my cars, AutobodyGuard, Opticoat, and C.Quartz Finest, the CQuartz was the best; by far. My Black Obsidian Q50 almost always looked like it was recently detailed. Also, this product has a more "wet" look than the others, which is a pro or a con, depending on your personal tastes. For me, the proof in the C.Quartz claims was that I could gently wipe off pollen after the car was out all day in the hot summer sun. The non-treated cars had pollen with the consistency of chewing gum that was very hard to remove.

The only reason that I didn't go with this option on my Q60 is that it is leased and that C.Quartz, applied by a professional, can run over $1500 and lasts for approximately 2-3 years. If it is within your budget, I think that it is one of the best products out there and makes the rich colors especially pop (e.g. Black Obsidian, Iridium Blue, and Sunstone Red).

·
Registered
6 Posts
What brand clear bra did you go with & how well does it guard against rock chips? I heard clear bras are kind of pointless since rock chips still damage the bra, though they don't damage your paint (except in extreme circumstances). Also, you have to pay to get the bra professionally removed. Wouldn't the cost of applying a bra and removing it outweigh the gains in resale value from a perfect paint job?

·
Registered
145 Posts
I have a Scratch Shield sticker under the hood of my Q50 as well as my Q60. Nissan Global are still defining it as self repair. :confused:

https://www.nissan-global.com/EN/TECHNOLOGY/OVERVIEW/scratch.html

It is a self repairing clear and works. Just use a light heat gun or hair dryer. The latter will take about 1 minute to heat up enough. Just be careful with a heat gun. Use the lowest setting on high airflow. Have used it with several scratches on my car and one I detailed recently. I only have one mark on my decklid that broke through the self healing layer and can't be fixed. Only shows under artificial light though.

In terms of Ceramic Coatings, that's pretty much all I use anymore. If you have Dark color car both SiO2 and TiO2 coatings will work well bu the latter will give you more of a "wet candy" look on say black. Here's an example on my previous Audi.

That said you can still get a great look even with SiO2 on black. I did this on my Q as it's metallic and I wanted the flake to pop more in the sun thus a deeper black look to the car vs the Candy Glow. Here's what she looks like in Sun and then Artificial Light.

Both will reflect like a mirror when fully corrected and refined. Audi vs Infiniti. The difference you see in terms of reflection is that the Audi just plain has better paint.
http://www.pbase.com/timothylauro/image/166916356/original.jpg

·
Registered
193 Posts
It is a self repairing clear and works. Just use a light heat gun or hair dryer. The latter will take about 1 minute to heat up enough. Just be careful with a heat gun. Use the lowest setting on high airflow. Have used it with several scratches on my car and one I detailed recently. I only have one mark on my decklid that broke through the self healing layer and can't be fixed. Only shows under artificial light though.
Your cars look amazing! I have been using Adams pads and polishes for some time. Do you have any other advice or precautions when it comes to using a random orbital on this special clear? Thanks!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Your cars look amazing! I have been using Adams pads and polishes for some time. Do you have any other advice or precautions when it comes to using a random orbital on this special clear? Thanks!
Thanks for the kind words. The main thing is avoid compounds, stick to foam pads vs MF or Wool and be aware of heat buildup. Good news is the clear is soft enough and corrects fairly easily even with polish alone. Here's an Irridum Blue Red Sport I detailed a few weeks back (q50.org members car) that had seen a tunnel wash or two thanks to the dealer :( Cleaned up just fine with Meg's 205 and medium cutting pads. Even if you get it 90% corrected, just park it out in direct sun a couple times; the paint will heat up and self heal the remaining swirls. Will work better come summer. Coated it with some SiO2 Ceramic and called it a day.

Sneak Peak of a few pics from the above link:

Reactions: WShade

·
Registered
14 Posts
Ceramic Coat AND Clear Bra

My dealer thought I was NUTZ to pay him $900 for a front/mirror/door edge clear bra, but this is cheap protection from rock chips and other chips/gouges. I've had it on 3 earlier cars and they look GREAT!
And the Ceramic coating was a no-brainer. I bought some Hydro-Silex and did the super-easy application on my Red Sport. EVERY surface, except tires and rubber.
People see the car and tell me "It looks WET!" from the incredible ceramic coast shine. Do complements get any better than that?
Loving this car!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts