Infiniti Q60 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m gonna vent for a little and give some back story so here we go...I bought a Q60rs last year used with Less than 20kmiles...turbos were replaced at around 28kmiles under warranty..oil pan was replaced and an oil change was done 33kmiles..I’m currently at 36kmiles and I get a CEL...I bring it to the dealer and they say I have engine sludge and the car needs a whole new motor..wtf😤😤...they submitted a warranty claim to Infiniti and it was declined because of lack of maintenance but from the SA own mouth i was negligence...keep in mind I’ve been to the same dealer and did the required maintenance of the vehicle...there excuse is lack of oil changes..honestly every oil change I did not take it to the dealer I’ve done some on my own and went to local shops because lest be honest..it’s just and oil change..you drain the oil replace the filter and fill it back up...anyway I spoke with consumer Infiniti consumer affair and they said the same that engine sludge is lack of maintenance..but how when the last 2 oil changes were done by y’all Infiniti dealer...they had to drop the whole motor to replace the turbos under warranty and if I need a new oil pan they have to replace the oil as well..those are 2 oil changes technically not counting what I did at a Mr. tire or NTB or any other local places that are reputable with ASE master mechanics...they want me to pay $2xxxx for a new motor...are they crazy...I can buy a used Q60 cash for the price...or use that as a down payment for an M4...I love Infiniti and want to stick with the brand..I went to get a c43 amg coupe and they had the red sport there so I got it because I saved $7k with comparable performance. if anyone can chime in...can Infiniti decline a warrant when they just replaced the turbos and had to drop the engine in March under warranty when if there was engine sludge they should have seen it...also if I do all the recommended services..keep in my I bought the car at 20k miles so I Dnt kno how the prior owner cared for it..there’s another post were I had the serpentine belt replace and the SA say they do multi point inspection of the car...how is the engine sludge at 36kmiles😤😤😤 and so much services has been done and it wasn’t caught after this particular dealer supposed have done 2 themselves...when the turbos wer changed and wen I needed a new oil pan...honestly I’m just venting because now I’m driving my truck and it’s not as warm anymore to take out my motorcycle but wtf INFINITI they need to replace this motor...one more thing...the vr motor can go 10kmile intervals between oil changes and I do mine between 3k-5k depending the season and how much or how hard I’ve been driving the car..I’m done with this post just needed to vent and not hear it’s gonna b ok Fuuuuuu😡😡😡😡😡😡😤😤😤😤😤

·
Super Moderator
2,980 Posts
Do you have receipts from the oil changes not done at the dealership? Was full synthetic and the proper weight oil used? Recommended oil change is every 10,000 miles. At 36,000 miles the car would have needed only 3 oil changes per the maintenance schedule.

Reactions: HDI_Q

·
Registered
80 Posts
They're playing hard to warranty with you. I would 100% show them receipts. If you had thrown them away, check on a card statement or from the shop. If not, Infiniti should know the oil has been changed. Like you said, they recommend 10K OCI's. Technically you should have 3 oil changes with the oil being changed at Infiniti at 26K that they have on record. I would raise **** over there. You didn't do anything wrong. It just sucks that you have to make sure the shops have used the correct oil and filled the correct amount. Even then, there should be no sludge at that low miles...

Reactions: MikesQ60_3.0

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
0w-20 full synthetic is wat I used along with K&N filters..I’m spoke with consumer affairs and they are telling me although I can prove that the oil changes were done they cannot be sure they were done correctly unless the dealer did the work...BS..it’s a f’n oil change done by ASE mechanics...I’m waiting on the regional manager from consumer affairs to give me a call but I keep y’all posted

·
Super Moderator
2,980 Posts
0w-20 full synthetic is wat I used along with K&N filters..I’m spoke with consumer affairs and they are telling me although I can prove that the oil changes were done they cannot be sure they were done correctly unless the dealer did the work...BS..it’s a f’n oil change done by ASE mechanics...I’m waiting on the regional manager from consumer affairs to give me a call but I keep y’all posted
I have no opinion on K&N automotive oil filters but their motorcycle oil filters have been problematic.

·
Registered
80 Posts
What was the CEL for and do they have pictures of the oil sludge? Can you still drive the car like normal?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
CEL was code p0011 and p0012 something bout camshaft timing which they said was due to the sludge...but shouldn’t there be signs when they dropped the motor to replace the turbos under warranty or at least wonder y the turbos are failing and need replacement...or when they charged me $500 for a new oil pan there had to been signs...I’m not a mechanic that’s y I’m asking questions

·
Registered
136 Posts
Yes, if they dropped the oil pan they should have seen some sludge if it was there. According to Google, it takes about 34k miles or more of not changing the oil to cause sludge. That's if you don't burn it all or run out of oil first. So if you have any "documented" oil changes with Infiniti anywhere after the first 5k miles, you should be good to go but this dealer isn't playing ball. It also sounds like this dealer is a POS.
Do you happen to have another around you could take it too for a 2nd opinion? I would try that next. If not, then junk yard VR30 would be my next try. I found one on buyusedengine . com for $4500 with 37k miles. After that you just need to find a reputable shop to install it. Sorry you are having to deal with this and a craptastic dealer. Hopefully it all works out in the end

·
Super Moderator
2,980 Posts
Sounds as if they just don't like pyrits

·
Registered
27 Posts
Yes, if they dropped the oil pan they should have seen some sludge if it was there. According to Google, it takes about 34k miles or more of not changing the oil to cause sludge. That's if you don't burn it all or run out of oil first. So if you have any "documented" oil changes with Infiniti anywhere after the first 5k miles, you should be good to go but this dealer isn't playing ball. It also sounds like this dealer is a POS.
Do you happen to have another around you could take it too for a 2nd opinion? I would try that next. If not, then junk yard VR30 would be my next try. I found one on buyusedengine . com for $4500 with 37k miles. After that you just need to find a reputable shop to install it. Sorry you are having to deal with this and a craptastic dealer. Hopefully it all works out in the end
Where did you get your engine from again? If I can’t get this other dealership to work with me imma just have to buy a used engine, even tho I don’t want to. I stay in Georgia so Z1 is close but they quoted me over 12k just to change out the pistons and rods. Is there a place where I can just updated the rods and pistons for under 8k?

·
Registered
136 Posts
I didn't actually buy the engine, I was just looking around in case anything ever happened to mine once I void the warranty.(I haven't yet) I still have a hard time believing you have sludge at such low mileage. Did you actually see it? Not saying they are lying but the previous owner would have to have never changed the oil and the dealer you purchased from had to have skipped it as well(IM-uneducated-O)

I'm just down the road in Charleston. AV Tuning is local here and would be able to do it but prob. not much cheaper if any cheaper at all.. I had Anthony R&R my King's Performance Turbo kit(POS) and install a custom Inline Pro turbo kit along with some custom fabrication like heat shields, down pipes, etc. We dyno'd the car at 525rwhp @6k rpm(8k is redline) but had to stop due to tires breaking loose after 6k. I was running it daily around 450rwhp. They turn out some pretty nasty/reliable R35s, R32s, S2K, etc and are great people to work with.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I didn't actually buy the engine, I was just looking around in case anything ever happened to mine once I void the warranty.(I haven't yet) I still have a hard time believing you have sludge at such low mileage. Did you actually see it? Not saying they are lying but the previous owner would have to have never changed the oil and the dealer you purchased from had to have skipped it as well(IM-uneducated-O)

I'm just down the road in Charleston. AV Tuning is local here and would be able to do it but prob. not much cheaper if any cheaper at all.. I had Anthony R&R my King's Performance Turbo kit(POS) and install a custom Inline Pro turbo kit along with some custom fabrication like heat shields, down pipes, etc. We dyno'd the car at 525rwhp @6k rpm(8k is redline) but had to stop due to tires breaking loose after 6k. I was running it daily around 450rwhp. They turn out some pretty nasty/reliable R35s, R32s, S2K, etc and are great people to work with.
I’m not sure about the sludge issue (I have an entirely different issue (rod knock), I’ll have to either try and go to another dealership with mods off, find a used engine or rebuild it. I really just want to rebuild it so I know I’ll have a longer lasting engine but getting a free one sounds better. Does AV tuning have a website by chance?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Sorry! Got mixed up on the issue. They used to have a website but it went down for updates and they never brought it back up. They have Facebook and Insta that they keep pretty active. Av Tuning and Development is the name of the shop. Rebuilding with better internals would be awesome but would be a bit pricey.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Sorry! Got mixed up on the issue. They used to have a website but it went down for updates and they never brought it back up. They have Facebook and Insta that they keep pretty active. Av Tuning and Development is the name of the shop. Rebuilding with better internals would be awesome but would be a bit pricey.
I wish it wasn’t so pricey lol but it’s the price you pay if you wanna play 😂. If I could find a nice engine I would get one. I just clicked the link you showed but it’s for RWD and I’m AWD :/

·
Registered
80 Posts
Bro keep fighting. It seems like the cam angle sensors are dirty from the oil or defective. You shouldn't have to worry about that with such low miles. If anything, take the sensors out and clean them really well. Do a fresh oil change and see how that goes. You still haven't answered how the car drives. I'm sure it still can drive, but will have timing issues.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The car drives fine. I only took it into the dealer because of a CEL. If not for that I would have no idea the engine had sludge. I’m here at the dealer as I’m typing this in the waiting room to bring them my invoices of oil changes to see what they say

·
Registered
27 Posts
The car drives fine. I only took it into the dealer because of a CEL. If not for that I would have no idea the engine had sludge. I’m here at the dealer as I’m typing this in the waiting room to bring them my invoices of oil changes to see what they say
Where are you located by chance? If that dealership says they won’t help go get another opinion from another one. Also are you stock?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Unfortunately I cnt even go to another dealer. Upon leaving today and speaking with Infiniti consumer affair once a warranty claim is submitted to Infiniti it don’t matter which retailer I go. I just learned today that the dealers are actually retailers and they are all the same...my car is completely stock except a catback which is noted in the file and ruled out as a possible reason for sludge. I dropped the invoices and OCI wer 24xxx miles 29xxxx and the next one was done by the dealer was the car is currently located..the SA explained to me that the sludge could have been from a failed oiled pump and oil wasn’t being sufficiently pumped into the motor from the pan...that alone should honor my claim...I explained to them there was some type of failure somewhere because the turbos were replaced under warranty and I needed a new oil pan under 40,000 miles if the oil pump failed why wasn’t it caught...so I got 2 new turbos and it wasn’t looked into why are they failing?...they just replaced them. I’m gonna keep the community informed through the whole process so no one else go through it and if so know was is expected

·
Super Moderator
2,980 Posts
Unfortunately I cnt even go to another dealer. Upon leaving today and speaking with Infiniti consumer affair once a warranty claim is submitted to Infiniti it don’t matter which retailer I go. I just learned today that the dealers are actually retailers and they are all the same...my car is completely stock except a catback which is noted in the file and ruled out as a possible reason for sludge. I dropped the invoices and OCI wer 24xxx miles 29xxxx and the next one was done by the dealer was the car is currently located..the SA explained to me that the sludge could have been from a failed oiled pump and oil wasn’t being sufficiently pumped into the motor from the pan...that alone should honor my claim...I explained to them there was some type of failure somewhere because the turbos were replaced under warranty and I needed a new oil pan under 40,000 miles if the oil pump failed why wasn’t it caught...so I got 2 new turbos and it wasn’t looked into why are they failing?...they just replaced them. I’m gonna keep the community informed through the whole process so no one else go through it and if so know was is expected
Seems that if the oil pump failed you should get a Master warning light along with a message that reads: Low Oil Pressure - Stop Vehicle

1 - 20 of 42 Posts