Infiniti Q60 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I did a before and after sound meter test with and without dynamat in the trunk and I will post the results later.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I downloaded a sound meter app and decided to test the before and after dynamat install in the trunk.

I did a baseline of sitting quietly in the car with nothing on and this was the meter reading Baseline engine off.jpg .

I then idled the car with no dynamat installed and this was the result Normal idle no dynamat.jpg

I did a 60 MPH cruise with no dynamat and this was the result 60 MPH no dynamat.jpg

I then installed the dynamat and let the car idle and this is what i got Dynamat car at idle.jpg

As you can see above, there is a 10 DB difference with the car at idle. It is rather dramatic. The other side of this is that when cruising at 60 MPH with cruise control on, the difference is negligible. So, with or without dynamat installed in the trunk, cruising sound level stays about the same. BUT, I believe that sound is more road noise than drone.

Overall, i'm extremely happy with the new exhaust and the DYNAMAT install and would recommend it.

Here is a pic of trunk with most of the dynamat installed 20170527_141456.jpg

Reactions: Jayce

·
Registered
81 Posts
Excellent work. I find that the major problem with cabin drone noise is between 2000 to 3000 RPM (around the shift point), not necessarily at idle or cruising speed. By any chance did you record any information in that RPM range? Also, the droning tends to be in the low frequency range which is not the frequencies that DynaMat filters.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Excellent work. I find that the major problem with cabin drone noise is between 2000 to 3000 RPM (around the shift point), not necessarily at idle or cruising speed. By any chance did you record any information in that RPM range? Also, the droning tends to be in the low frequency range which is not the frequencies that
DynaMat filters.
I did not record in that range but driving the car now with the dynamat feels and sounds different. It may be my imagination but a lot of the drone is not being transferred into the cabin. I do hear the exhaust at throttle as I should but I don't get that loud humming at cruising speed as I used to.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Thanks for the info!

The idle noise doesn't bother me at all, so it looks like i'll be passing on the Dynamat if there is a negligible difference with it installed at cruising speeds...you just saved me some $$$. :)

I also had some passengers in my car yesterday and not one person made any mention of any drone or any exhaust complaints...I really couldn't be any happier with the sport exhaust w/ mufflers and I think the 1-2 people on this forum that have had problems with the drone might just be EXTREMELY sensitive to drone already...

·
Registered
244 Posts
I have no issues with the drone either. If I'm on the highway, the radio is on and drowns it out anyways.
I'm actually finding that I don't have the radio/music on nearly as loud as I used to before I got this exhaust installed because I actually want to hear how loud it is...I also used to only drive with the sunroof cracked open if it's nice outside, but now i'm cracking it and both windows to hear the exhaust more... :D

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
3,698 Posts
BUT, I believe that sound is more road noise than drone.
Yup, cruising at highway speeds I can't hear the exhausts over the road noise

·
Registered
79 Posts
Can you guys please tell me what the drone is like around the 2K mark? This is the reason I got rid of my sport exhaust with mufflers. The interior drone or hum that if you hover in that RPM range is unbearable. Not I know that's subjective but on my car it was really bad. It almost makes me think when I hear you guys saying its not that bad that maybe its something with my car and not others? I think it can't be, they all have to be the same but who knows. Go up a hill or incline and go about 30 to 40 mph so your stuck in gear and your RPM is around the 2K mark.. I had a passenger that actually blocked their ears because they said they felt like their head was vibrating.

I wish there was a solution without the drone, it can be done because others have done it. I just am really disappointed its this way and hopefully someone will produce a muffler with a nice low tone and no vibration throughout the cabin.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Yes, cruising and idling have never been the problem. It is that shift point area between 2000-3000 RPM that is especially annoying. I have gone from stock exhaust to Sport Exhaust, back to stock exhaust (twice), to Sport Exhaust with mufflers, and back to the stock exhaust. Another post mentioned that there was one or two people in this forum who disliked the sport muffled version. I would tend to think there are more than a few people. I have had high performance cars in the past with headers, custom exhausts, low restriction mufflers, but the exhaust noise was at the back of the car, not in the passenger cabin. I suggest that you visit the Flowmaster website. They offer a wide range of mufflers and rate them according to aggressiveness of exterior sound level but also interior resonance. There must be a reason why they do this. I think the answer is obvious. Unfortunately they don't have anything to fix the Q60 drone.

Flowmaster Street Mufflers - comes in Stainless Steel or Aluminized with choice of mild, moderate, aggressive, and very aggressive sound.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I've been reading all these posts because I'm desperately wanting to get a more aggressive sound, but all this talk of drone scares me. I've only ever had luxury vehicles in my life, the Q60 is the first sporty car I've owned so I've never experienced what exhaust drone is like.

So with the sports exhaust mufflers is there like a vibration that goes along with the drone? If you have a passenger in the car does it make you have to speak louder, or does it effect the speaker quality when you have music playing?

The dealers in Canada don't even carry this, otherwise I would love to actually sit in the car and experience it first before moving forward.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Yes, cruising and idling have never been the problem. It is that shift point area between 2000-3000 RPM that is especially annoying. I have gone from stock exhaust to Sport Exhaust, back to stock exhaust (twice), to Sport Exhaust with mufflers, and back to the stock exhaust. Another post mentioned that there was one or two people in this forum who disliked the sport muffled version. I would tend to think there are more than a few people. I have had high performance cars in the past with headers, custom exhausts, low restriction mufflers, but the exhaust noise was at the back of the car, not in the passenger cabin. I suggest that you visit the Flowmaster website. They offer a wide range of mufflers and rate them according to aggressiveness of exterior sound level but also interior resonance. There must be a reason why they do this. I think the answer is obvious. Unfortunately they don't have anything to fix the Q60 drone.

Flowmaster Street Mufflers - comes in Stainless Steel or Aluminized with choice of mild, moderate, aggressive, and very aggressive sound.
I have spoken with multiple people on the FB group as well as some who have purchased from Gwinnett, and the general consensus is these sport exhausts with mufflers have been very well received. Drone has been cited as a factor, of course, but not anywhere to the degree that you and AllMineRS400 are describing.

I don't know what it is about my RWD RS outside of like, the protective trunk cover and the fact that my trunk is largely empty, but I do not have the same experience as you guys do regarding cabin drone...it's simply not an issue and is something that not only would I be cognizant of and not hesitate to go back to stock if it was bad, but is something that I would definitely mind because my girlfriend is sensitive to pretty much ANY aggressive sounds from cars (she was already not very happy at the idea that I was going to get these in the first place, especially because she doesn't have her own car and thus if we need to get somewhere that's not the train, i'm the one driving).

In my initial review the day I got these I acknowledged that the drone for about the first 20 miles was headache-inducing and UNBEARABLE, and I had even considered turning right around back to the dealership and going back to stock, but it changed after another 20 miles and it hasn't been anywhere near as bad since...I also have friends that would be very honest with me about the drone who have ridden in my car since, and all I got were compliments and not a single complaint about cabin drone.

Anytime these things become an issue it is always the aggrieved minority who are going to come into forums and social media to voice their concerns...this is pretty much standard. I spend quite a bit of time lurking in various Q60 groups and I cannot at all say that many people have been having the same level of cabin drone issues as you and AllMineRS400 are....I hope you guys eventually do find an aftermarket solution that works. Again, it could just be the car's inherent design itself and you may be more sensitive to a certain frequency/level of drone that others are. I get annoyed VERY easily about these things, but i'd be lying if I said that i'd ever felt like earplugs were needed being in my car because of this exhaust or that i'd be embarrassed of the drone after having passengers experience it, but literally neither of those things are true and I highly doubt they ever happen.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Jayce, I greatly appreciate your comments, and I am glad that you have an exhaust system which works well for you, but "Aggrieved????" I'll have to admit I had to look that up. I think that adjective is a little too strong. Without going back and forth, I would say that I was disappointed rather than aggrieved (Oxford Dictionary: feeling resentment at having been unfairly treated), and I still maintain that there are more than a couple of people who agree with me. I spoke with Sid at Roswell (Gwinnett) Infiniti before I purchased the Sport Exhaust with Muffler system. He cautioned me to be absolutely sure I wanted to buy the newer exhaust system, because there was still a high rate of negative comments about the Sport Exhaust with Mufflers system. He stated that 50% of the people who bought the newer system were still unhappy with the results. I, of course, didn't listen to him and ordered the muffled system anyway. I commend Sid for warning me, since a salesperson rarely talks down a company product that he sells.

I tend to think that the Q60 exhaust system hits a resonant frequency in the 2000-3000 RPM range, and the stock muffler breaks the standing wave and subsequent harmonics into smaller sound waves that are more readily absorbed by the interior and trunk components. This was probably worked out during the design phase at the factory. I surmise that they "overdesigned" the muffler to break the standing wave and quash the cabin drone. The added Dynamat sound muffling material apparently helps somewhat, but it is like treating the symptoms, rather than eradicating the actual problem. I again refer you to the Flowmaster website that ranks their mufflers with regard to aggressive exterior sound AND interior resonance. If interior resonance wasn't a problem with some cars, then they wouldn't rate their mufflers that way.

I suppose that since the system is so easy to replace, I may try the "drive it for 300 miles in a row and you will like it better" technique. Perhaps the system has to go through multiple hot/cold cycles to re-anneal the new components, if there is such a phenomenon. I'll just have to get out on the interstate where I won't have to go through the gears too often.

·
Registered
327 Posts
In regards to your dynamat installation, would you mind telling us how much you've used so far and are you using a roller to apply it or is it all just by hand?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
In regards to your dynamat installation, would you mind telling us how much you've used so far and are you using a roller to apply it or is it all just by hand?
Hey Prestige, the dynamat product I purchased is this one Dynamat 19405 Dynamat Xtreme Trunk Kit Five 18" x 32" (457mm x 812mm) Panels 69103194054 | eBay.
It is Five 18" x 32" sheets. I did all of the trunk floor and removed the side fender panels and did some of the sides. I only used 3 1/2 out of the 5 sheets. I did the entire install by hand. Pretty happy with the outcome. The funny thing is that I usually drive with the music playing loudly but since the install of the new sports exhaust with muffler, I find myself turning the volume way down so that I can hear the sweet sound of the muffler. I especially love the sound it makes gearing down.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I especially like the Dynamat return policy:

"If you are not completely satisfied, return the new/unused item in the original box pre-paid (customer is responsible for shipping cost) postmarked within 90 days of purchase, with a copy of the invoice, for a refund/exchange. Once a return has been approved, the credit will be processed within 2 days to original form of payment. A 15% restocking fee will be deducted from any item returned more than 90 days after the ship date. A 15% reboxing fee will be deducted for any item not returned in its original packaging."

Have you ever tried getting that stuff off?

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
3,698 Posts
Has anyone thought about using the Boom Mat Spray? I saw a company video where they tested a strip on a drum cymbal and the results were pretty impressive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZPT70Hteo4
https://www.designengineering.com/category/catalog/boom-mat-acoustical-products/boom-mat-spray

Seems like you can get better coverage, albeit more permanent
That's pretty cool. It retards the vibration of the cymbal, but I wonder if it is as effective at keeping sound from passing through it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Its a shame they can't come up with an exhaust similar to the original G35. The sound was subtle but nice. Having to go through the trouble to use sound deadening mats is ridiculous.
I would love if someone could come out with electric cutouts. Then you could open them up when you wanted to experience a great exhaust sound, and close them up for normal driving.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Its a shame they can't come up with an exhaust similar to the original G35. The sound was subtle but nice. Having to go through the trouble to use sound deadening mats is ridiculous.
I mean, you don't have to use deadening mats at all, a lot of us with this exhaust are very happy with it and are not sharing the same drone 'issue' that others are...I sound like a broken record saying that but people keep willfully ignoring that it's a very subjective thing...i'm about 600 miles in with these sport exhausts w/ mufflers and I honestly couldn't be happier. I'd have ditched them on like Day 2 when I got them installed weeks ago because my girlfriend would have complained about them endlessly if there were annoying/unbearable drone issues, but she has had no issues with this exhaust at all. On the contrary, if these exhausts got any quieter i'd probably be complaining as I love how aggressive it sounds.

Exhaust note is, obviously, largely dependent on the engine...and in this case, these VR30DDTT turbo engines are just a much different note altogether than the original G35 V6s...and even then, we had a lot of the same complaints about the Infiniti exhausts around drone and such...this is the norm for these types of cars. There will always be people that either like or don't like a very subjective amount of drone/noise, etc. and will want to go quieter or louder. This is really nothing new unless you've only ever owned a single powerful sports car in your life. :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts