Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my NEW sport exhaust with muffler. Will install tomorrow

Attachments

·
Registered
51 Posts
Very nice! Cant wait to hear a sound clip. Mufflers are smaller than Q50 version. Believe I will go this route also but plan to powdercoat the tips black.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Nice can't wait to hear it. I'm currently getting my Sport exhaust without mufflers installed, if the exhaust with mufflers sound better, I will be switching over to them.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
3,698 Posts
Cant figure out how to embed the youtube video
So was that a cold start? My muffler delete is loudest at idle with a cold start. On a scale of 1-10, with 1 being stock loudness and 10 being muffler delete loudness. What number would you give the kit with mufflers during cold start?

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
So was that a cold start? My muffler delete is loudest at idle with a cold start. On a scale of 1-10, with 1 being stock loudness and 10 being muffler delete loudness. What number would you give the kit with mufflers during cold start?
Was a cold start. Id say it was about 6+. Still has the deep tone, just not so much in your face. There is a slight drone, but nothing the radio doesn't drown out at a not so loud level.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
3,698 Posts
Was a cold start. Id say it was about 6+. Still has the deep tone, just not so much in your face. There is a slight drone, but nothing the radio doesn't drown out at a not so loud level.
Yeah, guess I should have waited on a kit with mufflers. Not sure if I'll switch it. Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Sounds about right...hearing the straight pipe version compared to the Q50 version of the muffler sport kit....straight pipe is a 10 in terms of tone and aggressiveness, and the Q50 sport kit with the (longer than Q60 version) mufflers was a 4 at best...with its shorter mufflers, a 6-7 is basically the best this Q60 muffler sport kit could hope to achieve.

The biggest difference is going to be with stop-and-go traffic tolerance between these two kits (Q60 straight pipe and muffler)...the straight pipes are insufferable when you're stuck in bumper-to-bumper, stop-and-go traffic...i'm not seeing that being an issue with the muffler version though. Maybe do an interior noise vid, Joe?

·
Registered
686 Posts
Man I dunno guys....no offense to any of you that have this installed, but I just really can't get behind it. It's still too quiet on start-up and it sounds....I dunno....I just really don't like how it sounds. I feel like I'm the only one on this forum that doesn't like it though. I'm still in love with the FI kit. Sure it's 4x the price and it'll void the warranty but....I just think it's the better system.

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
Man I dunno guys....no offense to any of you that have this installed, but I just really can't get behind it. It's still too quiet on start-up and it sounds....I dunno....I just really don't like how it sounds. I feel like I'm the only one on this forum that doesn't like it though. I'm still in love with the FI kit. Sure it's 4x the price and it'll void the warranty but....I just think it's the better system.
For me its perfect. The car is fast enough and I really don't see a need spend 1K+. Maybe if i was 20 years younger, sure. But I'm rather happy with my purchase and outcome

·
Registered
85 Posts
Are there any other options at the $600 price point? I am not sure I like how it sounds 100% but in the 2nd vid I do like how it sounds when it's revved high. http://www.infinitiq60.org/forum/in...60sm-release-date-5-8-2017-a-6.html#post83665

·
Registered
244 Posts
Dude, you do you....some of us don't want to needlessly spend $1,300 + taxes on the FI system, especially those of us who live in a state where the downpipes can't even be sold to due to emissions...

The FI kit is certainly awesome if you actually want to take advantage of the potential gains and pay another $500-800 for a tune to realize those potential gains...besides the obvious high cost factor, the FI also has more drone.

This sport exhaust muffler kit is a sweet spot in terms of price and sound over stock...that's really all there is to it. I'm still in my late-twenties and even I have absolutely no desire to let the whole world know what my engine sounds like beyond what this NISMO kit is already capable of. You should be happy with FI since it's a full catback replacement...it's awesome. But a lot of us don't need to go beyond a small axle back replacement to get a much, much better sounding exhaust over stock. :)

·
Registered
686 Posts
Trust me, I don't want to spend that kind of money either. I don't even HAVE that kinda money. I'm 33, married with a mortgage and two car payments I didn't want to have at the same time. Thank God I don't have kids! It's just my personal preference that I just don't like the way the sport system sounds. I think is rather have nothing at all. I'm really glad you guys are liking it though. Maybe I just need to hear one in person.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
3,698 Posts
Trust me, I don't want to spend that kind of money either. I don't even HAVE that kinda money. I'm 33, married with a mortgage and two car payments I didn't want to have at the same time. Thank God I don't have kids! It's just my personal preference that I just don't like the way the sport system sounds. I think is rather have nothing at all. I'm really glad you guys are liking it though. Maybe I just need to hear one in person.
So is yours still stock?

·
Registered
244 Posts
It's just my personal preference that I just don't like the way the sport system sounds. I think is rather have nothing at all.
My dude...you are confusing the crap out of me. :)

I think you are severely underrating how good these sport muffler kits sound, and touting FI, but then you're saying you'd rather stay stock than get 60-70% the sound of a full FI system for 1/4 or 1/3 the price while also not having to worry about warranty/emissions issues? :confused:

It needs to be reiterated that the stock exhaust is so bad that you don't really need anything more than these sport mufflers kit to get an enormous improvement on the exhaust sound/notes, which is why people prefer to try and spend as little money as possible for something that really should have just come stock on the car from the factory...we are talking about price/performance here from an axle-back developed by the people who know and understand how to engineer a component best for this engine (NISMO) after improving on the Q50 version vs. a full-on aftermarket cat-back replacement....in all actuality, these kits aren't really comparable because one aims to improve performance + exhaust sound whereas the other aims to improve just the exhaust sound with no performance increase.

We have enough members now giving direct feedback after having personally owned the various exhaust systems available right now so I think it's safe to say that if you're not convinced enough of how good or bad a specific exhaust system sounds then you definitely need to hear them in person...otherwise, your bias is probably towards FI and hearing anything else and thinking your mind is going to change is absolutely not going to happen at this point.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts