Infiniti Q60 Forums banner

New to the Q

12K views 244 replies 13 participants last post by  Cami60 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone.. My name is Dave and I'm glad to be here.
It'll be nice to get back to having a bit of fun again with the Q60. I had two Maserati GT's back in the day and had a blast!
I had to settle for Mazda 6 since 2018. Its a good car..never a lick of trouble.
Just put a deposit down on a red sport in graphite shadow and monaco red interior. Has the upgraded wheels and carbon package. First thing I’m doing is getting the crap tires replaced with the recommended Continental all-seasons. I think I'll keep it basically stock for now and consider performance upgrades after i've lived with it for a while.
Looking forward to maybe a November delivery. (y)

Discussion starter · #8 · (Edited)
Thanks for the welcome....much appreciated!
Pics will follow,for sure after a intense detailing and the addition of some visual tweeks i'm thinking about.
I have to say i'm blown away by the performance potential, but im not as hard-core as some...
...so some modest bolt-on stuff and a tune,just to tweek it a bit...but you never know.... You could really go hog wild if you wanted to.

Discussion starter · #9 ·
One thing i'm looking at is an OEM exterior vinyl piece with a carbon fiber look that protects the lip of the back bumper...
T99B1-5CH0B Genuine Infiniti Carbon Fiber Look Rear Bumper Protector
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light Car
Hood Automotive lighting Luggage and bags Automotive parking light Motor vehicle

Could'nt find may pics so its hard to say how its fits in with the rest of the carbon..Really need to see the whole car
Opinions and suggestions are welcome.

Discussion starter · #12 ·
I went with clear bra instead of the faux CF vinyl. To me, the CF would look out of place, especially if the weave doesn’t match.
You really would need to see how it matches up with the other carbon pieces, especially the spoiler.
Found this pic that shows the effect much better. I think it looks pretty good but there's not much detail on how it matches up, but you get a better feel for what it does visually.
Since its an OEM part wouldn't it make sense that Infiniti would want something that looks close to the other carbon they offer?

Tire Wheel Vehicle Vehicle registration plate Car

Discussion starter · #14 ·
The more i looked at the image the more i came to the conclusion it just doesn't look right..so I think i'll do the clear protector.
Also decided to get the OEM sport helmholtz exhaust kit.

Automotive exhaust Bicycle part Tool Nickel Exhaust system

Discussion starter · #16 ·
I've got a used set for sale if you're interested.
Thanks ... I’ll keep you offer in mind. After doing some homework I’m seriously considering a Cat back instead.

Discussion starter · #18 · (Edited)
I really appreciate the info. Just one of many potential modifications to think about right now.
I know for sure a catch can is a must with the GDI engine. Mishimoto or ADD W1?
Not sure.
Btw...your Q is absolutely gorgeous, IridiumRS400

Discussion starter · #21 ·
I just bought this from my dealer today ima have installed towards the end of the weekend if you haven’t bought one yet I’ll show pics this weekend
Thanks.. look forward to seeing how it looks.
I keep going back and forth between the clear and the carbon.
Beautiful color on your Q, btw....For me it came down to the Grey or Graphite.

Discussion starter · #23 ·
Jeeze.. that thing is HUGE compared to OE!
I would have to assume it delivers way more down-force, too.

Discussion starter · #25 ·
So..while i wait for my Q i've been picking the forum apart for info I'll need to make some informed decisions
on where i want to go as far as performance modifications. Lots of good info here so i thought i'd boil it down to a few
simple mods to start.

Since you have to start somewhere my starter kit will include the following....
1. Replace stock tires with Continental Extreme Contact DWS06 plus.
2. Replace stock air filters with AeF dry filters.
3. Add Mishimoto Catch Can
4. Add DTE pedal box
5. Add BMS Stage 1 (this may have to wait on a CBE)
6. Possible FI CBE (this may have to come later)
7. Infiniti performance Hemholtz axle-back exhaust kit if i don't do a CBE right away.

I'm going to do this in stages so i figured i'd start simple and work my way up to the more complicated stuff over time,if i choose to do so.
I know there's a whole lot more i could do but I think this will make for a good start.

Discussion starter · #28 ·
Thanks ...I'll add a upgraded heat exchanger to the mix.
Not sure ill need this right way,though. She'll need to be well broken in before i'll push hard enough to worry about heat soak issues.

Discussion starter · #31 ·
I’ve come to understand from other forums that unless your really run the Q hard like for track days or drag.... money spent on a upgraded HX for most normal use (giving it the beans on occasion) is not really cost effective or really all that necessary even with the 3 psi added boost from the BMS stage 1...
I’m looking for a just little more get -up-and-go....definitely no track or drag

Discussion starter · #33 ·
Heat soak...from what?.... racing down the local interstate chasing BMW’s or Merc’s hoping I don’t get pulled over for speeding?
I’m not out to prove anything to anyone so i’m not going to worry about it.

Discussion starter · #36 · (Edited)
As far as I’m concerned you get anywhere near to heatsoaking a turbo engine your abusing it no matter how efficient you heat exchange is.
I don’t plan to put myself anywhere close to those conditions when I’m driving my Q.
My goal is to make me and the Q a little happier...not go hog wild with all kinds of upgrades I won’t really need considering how I drive.

Discussion starter · #38 ·
I don’t think 3 psi more boost is going to make the stock hx anymore prone to soak than you already say it is... So I can only do three wot’s in row as apposed to five or six. I can live with that and spend the $700 somewhere else and still be smiling.

Discussion starter · #39 · (Edited)
Ok... after some soul searching and getting more useful info, i've decided that if i'm going to do performance modifications to the Q... i might as well go all-in.
well...maybe not all the way in, but more than what i first thought. I'm more that willing to admit i'm a bit of a old noob and would like to think i know more than i really do
especially about a car i'm only now getting really familiar with.
It get's hot here in KY in the summer, so it does make sense to do the heat exchanger if for nothing more than peace of mind that your protecting the engine but also giving it
the ability to perform its best when called for.

Reactions: NINaudio
Discussion starter · #42 ·
Glad to see you're coming around. I must admit I was a bit confused about your perspective of not abusing it, but then wanting to add a boost controller without increased cooling.
Sorry about that..I should have gotten my facts straight before i made my previous comments. All's well now that I have a better understanding.
Is the heat exchanger swap something my dealership can do..or do i need to find a performance shop to have it done?

Reactions: NINaudio
Discussion starter · #44 ·
Discussion starter · #48 ·
View attachment 25094
here is a pic of it. Doesn’t look like it matches oem carbon at all. Unfortunate because it looks way different on the parts photos then real life. I may call and see if this is the only one because to me this is like false advertising LOL
Definitely not a match...Hope you can get a refund.
Looks like its the clear or nothing.

Discussion starter · #49 ·
I purchased the Infiniti-branded AMS HE from Gwinett Infiniti in GA when they had an ebay store. The parts guy has since moved onto a Nissan dealership, and I lost track of him. Regardless, when I received the HE, I scheduled an appt with my local WA dealership. They were able to install it in 4-4.5 hrs @ $140/hr. The shop foreman actually did the install.

In addition to the 1-yr parts warranty, the dealership should also provide a 1-yr/12k mile labor warranty, in case there are any issues. I've had no issues with the HE since the installation in 2017.

Note: In order to bleed the air out of the IC System, Infiniti uses their Consult tool, whereas an indy shop or self installed HE would need an Air-Lift tool.
Thanks Iridium for the helpful info.
Just purchased one from Austin Infiniti for $726.10. The dealership that had it close to me was in Lexington,KY and they listed it for over $800

Reactions: IridiumRS400
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.