Infiniti Q60 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Majestic White Q60S
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a 2017 Q60s with 24k miles and I'm SUPER paranoid about these belt issues. According to the TSB, my car isn't one of the VIN number's affected and the AC tensioner indicator is lined up correctly on the tensioner.

I've seen that the Gates Serpentine belt is a better replacement than the OEM belt. Should I take it into the dealer for an AC pulley alignment? Should I get the bates belt replacement done? Should I just wait?

Any help would be appeciated!

Link to gates belt : Serpentine Belt-Premium OE Micro-V Belt Gates K060766A for sale online | eBay

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
At 24k miles, you would know if the belt alignment was off. Does the belt look original?

Since you bought it used, cheap insurance would be to replace the belt, since it is likely the original going on 4 years old. I replaced my OEM belt with the Gates equivalent, which didn't show signs of fraying or mis-alignment, again, for piece-of-mind. I plan to replace the belt every 25-30k miles.

Reactions: Mjolnir262

·
Registered
203 Posts
I bought the car pre owned, 2 years old. My VIN wasn't on the TSB, still took to the dealer and asked to check belt. They said it was fine. A week later the belt bursts and takes an engine harness with it. Car stays on the shop for 1.5 months.

Yeah big mistake, if I were you I'd replace it asap. I replace mine once a year now :)

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
3,622 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Majestic White Q60S
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
At 24k miles, you would know if the belt alignment was off. Does the belt look original?

Since you bought it used, cheap insurance would be to replace the belt, since it is likely the original going on 4 years old. I replaced my OEM belt with the Gates equivalent, which didn't show signs of fraying or mis-alignment, again, for piece-of-mind. I plan to replace the belt every 25-30k miles.
Belt is definitely OEM but actually looks to be in good shape! According to this vid I should have the dealer realign the AC pulley before changing out the belt??

I bought the car pre owned, 2 years old. My VIN wasn't on the TSB, still took to the dealer and asked to check belt. They said it was fine. A week later the belt bursts and takes an engine harness with it. Car stays on the shop for 1.5 months.

Yeah big mistake, if I were you I'd replace it asap. I replace mine once a year now :)
Do you know if your dealer re-aligned the AC pulley at all? Sorry you had to deal with that man.

Honestly what a headache, too paranoid to drive my new car...

·
Registered
203 Posts
Do you know if your dealer re-aligned the AC pulley at all? Sorry you had to deal with that man.
I believe so. And yeah, I had just bought the car a month earlier so was pretty bummed, but now I have it for 2 years and pretty happy about it.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Belt is definitely OEM but actually looks to be in good shape! According to this vid I should have the dealer realign the AC pulley before changing out the belt??
If the belt is OEM, does not appear to have any wear on the sides from mis-alignment, IMO, I would just replace the belt if I was replacing it myself. However, if you have the dealership change the belt, then you could indicate your concern, given you just got this car, and ask for an alignment check and belt replacement.

·
Registered
2017 Majestic White Q60S
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If the belt is OEM, does not appear to have any wear on the sides from mis-alignment, IMO, I would just replace the belt if I was replacing it myself. However, if you have the dealership change the belt, then you could indicate your concern, given you just got this car, and ask for an alignment check and belt replacement.
I'm already heading to the dealership next week to see if they can program my other key fob (original dealership gave me a 2nd key fob that isn't programmed). If I tell them my belt has been making some noises and the auto tensioner is in the stretched position, would they cover the new belt under warranty?

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
3,622 Posts
would they cover the new belt under warranty?
They're probably not just going to take your word for it. They're going to inspect it first.

·
Registered
2017 Majestic White Q60S
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
They're probably not just going to take your word for it. They're going to inspect it first.
Of course, but if they see that the belt has wear and the belt tensioner indicator is shifted right, would this be something they would replace under warranty?

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
3,622 Posts
Of course, but if they see that the belt has wear and the belt tensioner indicator is shifted right, would this be something they would replace under warranty?
A belt is a wearable item like tires and brakes. Not covered under warranty unless it falls under a recall.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Depending on what your 2017 in-service date is, you either are at the tail end of the 4-yr/60k bumper-to-bumper warranty, or the 6-yr/70k mile powertrain warranty. The former would cover the belt tensioner, the latter would not.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
3,622 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Majestic White Q60S
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Registered
2017 Majestic White Q60S
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
He's referring to the indicator on the tensioner that shows belt wear.
Yep the indicator is a bit to the right (clockwise). Not trying to sound like a cheapo or anything, I've just seen others post that their belts were changed whenever an issue was found.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
3,622 Posts
Yep the indicator is a bit to the right (clockwise). Not trying to sound like a cheapo or anything, I've just seen others post that their belts were changed whenever an issue was found.
There was a recall for misalignment. A belt would be covered for that if it was determined there actually was a misalignment. If it's normal belt wear, I doubt they'll cover it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts