Infiniti Q60 Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Although it's not legal to apply tint to the front windows in NJ, I'm curious to hear from people that know tint about what they'd recommend. I don't want tint dark enough to obstruct my view or bring too much attention from the po po, but I want tint. Coming from NJ, I know very little about it though.

What percentage should I be asking for?

Is there a brand I should ask about or a feature like UV protection that I should be looking for, etc?

Considering I may be away when my car finally arrives (if it ever arrives), I've already talked to the dealer about having it done before I get back. I've also made it clear not to install the front license plate and not to put any additional badges on the car.

Thanks, all.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well how about this for timing. I just got a call from the dealer saying my car has been invoiced to them which means they may have it by Monday. The problem is I leave on Wednesday for a while. I may sign the paperwork by Tuesday but leave it with them while I'm gone to have the tint company they work with do their thing.

·
Super Moderator
2,121 Posts
You could ask the tint company what they apply most. I can say from experience that 20% is dark and may get attention depending on where it's applied. 35% is lighter and less noticeable and legal for TN (so it's what I use on all my cars except the GTR which has 20% all around including the front windshield).

I think 35% should be almost the minimum for these cars.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You could ask the tint company what they apply most. I can say from experience that 20% is dark and may get attention depending on where it's applied. 35% is lighter and less noticeable and legal for TN (so it's what I use on all my cars except the GTR which has 20% all around including the front windshield).

I think 35% should be almost the minimum for these cars.
Great info, thanks. Is there anything lighter than 35%? I'm not even sure what they come stock as.

·
Super Moderator
2,121 Posts
Great info, thanks. Is there anything lighter than 35%? I'm not even sure what they come stock as.
There is...but it's not as value added to go lighter on the tint. I'd also recommend sticking with a ceramic tint. 3M offers a lifetime warranty on their product and most shops will do the same...although I've found that shops that tint on the down low (or using unapproved % tints) will usually do cash and no receipt.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There is...but it's not as value added to go lighter on the tint. I'd also recommend sticking with a ceramic tint. 3M offers a lifetime warranty on their product and most shops will do the same...although I've found that shops that tint on the down low (or using unapproved % tints) will usually do cash and no receipt.
Thanks. I just talked to the dealer. The place that they use, use 3M. If it weren't for being in NJ, I'd go 35% all the way around, but I'm hesitant. Right now I'm thinking going either 50% all around or 50% in the front and 35% in the back but not doing the windshield. How many do the windshield?

·
Super Moderator
2,121 Posts
Thanks. I just talked to the dealer. The place that they use, use 3M. If it weren't for being in NJ, I'd go 35% all the way around, but I'm hesitant. Right now I'm thinking going either 50% all around or 50% in the front and 35% in the back but not doing the windshield. How many do the windshield?
Honestly, it looks good when the windshield tint matches (and it's functional since it's the largest swath of glass on the car) but don't do it. If a LEO is having a bad day and pulls you over, he/she's more likely to make you scrape off your windshield (for visibility reasons) than he/she is likely to do if it's just the windows and back. For the windows/back, you get a fix it ticket and go on your way mostly.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah I think it looks good too. If I were doing it just for looks, I'd do it all and darker. I'm now leaning towards just 50% all around except windshield. I'll make a decision tomorrow I think.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I did 80% on mine with a high IR and UV rejecting tint, blocks over 90% of IR and really cuts down on the feeling of the sun beating down on you if it comes in the windshield but is barely noticeable. You can tell around where the "dithering" is around the windshield edges where the tint stops just short of the solid black area. Not technically legal but light enough that it's not likely anyone will notice and really cuts down on the heat.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I did 80% on mine with a high IR and UV rejecting tint, blocks over 90% of IR and really cuts down on the feeling of the sun beating down on you if it comes in the windshield but is barely noticeable. You can tell around where the "dithering" is around the windshield edges where the tint stops just short of the solid black area. Not technically legal but light enough that it's not likely anyone will notice and really cuts down on the heat.
Before posting this thread about NJ, I went back and read all the post I could on tinting here and I think you were using 3M Crystalline tint. That's what I want too, because I really am not going for a dark look, I really just want the IR protection to keep the cabin cooler. If I go about that thinking though, the windshield seems like a must. I'm having a real internal struggle with that though being I'm in NJ. Not just the fact that we're not allowed but mainly because of the inspection sticker. I'm pretty sure their metal scrapers will destroy the tint and I'll have a PITA job of redoing it all in a couple years. I'm not sure that's worth it to me.

Also, if I'm right you went with 3M Crystalline, how'd you do 80% on the windshield? Did you double their 90% film?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Before posting this thread about NJ, I went back and read all the post I could on tinting here and I think you were using 3M Crystalline tint. That's what I want too, because I really am not going for a dark look, I really just want the IR protection to keep the cabin cooler. If I go about that thinking though, the windshield seems like a must. I'm having a real internal struggle with that though being I'm in NJ. Not just the fact that we're not allowed but mainly because of the inspection sticker. I'm pretty sure their metal scrapers will destroy the tint and I'll have a PITA job of redoing it all in a couple years. I'm not sure that's worth it to me.

Also, if I'm right you went with 3M Crystalline, how'd you do 80% on the windshield? Did you double their 90% film?
Ceramic Tint is great, for inspection do not worry about it, just simply remove it after your 5th year. In NJ new cars do not need inspection until after 5 years old (or 3) double check on that. But generally speaking..say you replace front, and remove it at 150 USD...it means you are paying 30 dollars a year to have it..now I am not saying waste money but its all we can do as NJ sucks with laws.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
3,698 Posts
I did crystalline on the side and back and sunroof, front was from a different company that had an 80 with a higher IR rejection than 3M's 90
Is the sunroof and windshield tint on the interior or exterior of the glass?

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
3,698 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
3,698 Posts
I've seen 3M Crystalline install videos where they apply a layer to the exterior with a heat gun, then another layer on the interior side.

·
Registered
90 Posts
You may be misinterpreting those videos. Pretty sure they do the heat gun on the outside to mold the film to the shape of the glass where it's easier to work on then move the film inside to stick it to the glass. As far as a suction cup screwing it up not likely unless there was already a fairly large bubble, think of the film as a much larger suction cup covering the whole window, it's not like you can just pull it off from the edges after it's dried, much less pull it off from somewhere away from the edge. Might not want to stick it up there for the first week while it's still setting but after that I'm sure it would be fine.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
3,698 Posts
Do you know if wearing polarized sunglasses causes you to see any weird patterns through the windshield?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts