Infiniti Q60 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm wondering if any of you who have a 3.0t Sliver or Red Sport AWD have replaced the OEM Run Flat tires. If so, what do you have and do you like them?

Thanks,
Dan

·
Registered
308 Posts
I think quite a few people have changed out their wheels and went with aftermarket rims and tires. I don't think anyone has really changed out the tires alone first. Typically I would just run them down as much as I can and then switch over.

·
Super Moderator
2,121 Posts
Hi,

I'm wondering if any of you who have a 3.0t Sliver or Red Sport AWD have replaced the OEM Run Flat tires. If so, what do you have and do you like them?

Thanks,
Dan
I haven't replaced my tires yet but do have some experience going from Nissan runflats on my GTR to MPSS tires (kept stock sizes at the time). Handling was much improved and road/tire noise was reduced. The ride was also much better (more compliant and comfortable). I plan to replace my runflats in the next year or so with Michelin A/S3+s or Continental DWS06 (slightly cheaper but a great all season tire as well).

Given my positive recent history with Michelin, I'm leaning towards them but I've also have very good history with Continental. Let us know what you go with and how you feel about the tires if you do change. I think only a couple folks have switched their tires here (while keeping the OEM rims).

·
InfinitiQ60.org Vendor
790 Posts
I've had past Q50 customers switching out from their run flats to "standard" tires. I've also done this before on another car as I really really wasn't a fan of the ride quality from those run flat tires..

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
I think only a couple folks have switched their tires here (while keeping the OEM rims).
why do you think that is? Is it mainly because those who want the higher performance tires just go all in and upgrade the rims too?

I'm seriously considering changing out of the runflats. I'm on a 39 mo lease, so I'll have to replace the tires at some point. I figure why not do it early and then put the run flats back on when I return the car (which I'll probably do). A rim investment on top of that is probably a waste although if one were to buy rims and tires all at once, it's an easy swap I suppose and you could use the rims on the next Q60.....

·
Registered
359 Posts
why do you think that is? Is it mainly because those who want the higher performance tires just go all in and upgrade the rims too?
I think the car is too new. Most people are just going to run down their runflats before they switch to something else. But when that time does come, in a couple years when everyone starts hitting ~30k miles, I suspect a huge portion of Q60 owners will choose a different tire over the stock runflats. There are even other runflat options that are far superior to the Dunlops that come stock (such as Bridgestone Driveguard).

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
3,698 Posts
So for people switching to non run flats, buying a spare or repair kit?
I'm doing this because there's no place for a spare inside the trunk.

:laugh:

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have actually swapped out my run flats for some Michelin PS4S.
Those tires are worth every penny.
Better tread life, better braking time in dry and wet surfaces.
Also better 0-60 times, these RWD Red Sport, tend to lose traction a lot, but with these tires i feel like i am driving an AWD car :)

Super Stickyyyyyyy

Reactions: Bevo Horn

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
3,698 Posts
I have actually swapped out my run flats for some Michelin PS4S.
Those tires are worth every penny.
Better tread life, better braking time in dry and wet surfaces.
Also better 0-60 times, these RWD Red Sport, tend to lose traction a lot, but with these tires i feel like i am driving an AWD car :)

Super Stickyyyyyyy
Let us know how long they last

·
Registered
102 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,121 Posts
Will do, so far so good, still like new. I think :D
Honestly, if they're anything like the MPSS, they will last ages compared to the OEM tires (at least that's what I would expect). My MPSS in stock sizes on the GTR went 20k miles and 5yrs before I got tired of waiting for them to need replacing and just bit the bullet.

It's a pity my Q60 is a DD that will see snow and ice (more ice than snow in the hills here in TN), so I'll have to stay away from the MP4S. Looks like I'll have to go to the Conti DWS06 since they have the 275/30/20 sizing that was recommended to me (for when I get the HREs). The closest Michelin has with the A/S3+ is 275/35/20 which is almost an inch larger in diameter than the stock tire sizes on the 2017 AWDs.

·
Registered
148 Posts
it is official - OEM Dumblop are The Worst Tires Ever
(combined with quiet powerful engine it is a death wish)

·
Registered
102 Posts
Honestly, if they're anything like the MPSS, they will last ages compared to the OEM tires (at least that's what I would expect). My MPSS in stock sizes on the GTR went 20k miles and 5yrs before I got tired of waiting for them to need replacing and just bit the bullet.

It's a pity my Q60 is a DD that will see snow and ice (more ice than snow in the hills here in TN), so I'll have to stay away from the MP4S. Looks like I'll have to go to the Conti DWS06 since they have the 275/30/20 sizing that was recommended to me (for when I get the HREs). The closest Michelin has with the A/S3+ is 275/35/20 which is almost an inch larger in diameter than the stock tire sizes on the 2017 AWDs.
275 is still great, can't wait till you get your HRE's :D. No snow or ice for me since i'm in California.
Check with HRE, you should be able to run 265 in the front and 295 in the rear; my current set up.
Unless Conti doesn't make 295's :eek:

Reactions: testrage

·
Super Moderator
2,121 Posts
275 is still great, can't wait till you get your HRE's :D. No snow or ice for me since i'm in California.
Check with HRE, you should be able to run 265 in the front and 295 in the rear; my current set up.
Unless Conti doesn't make 295's :eek:
I like the staggered look but I may just stick with the square set up this time. I'll have to check the rolling diameter on the 265s and 295s. I think I have to be a little careful and not give my dealership any reason to void my lifetime drivetrain warranty.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I like the staggered look but I may just stick with the square set up this time. I'll have to check the rolling diameter on the 265s and 295s. I think I have to be a little careful and not give my dealership any reason to void my lifetime drivetrain warranty.
Check it out and let me know, I didn't think that could void our warranty ?:(
I will look into it myself aswell. I will call my Infiniti technician later on today and inquire about it :|

·
Super Moderator
2,121 Posts
Check it out and let me know, I didn't think that could void our warranty ?:(
I will look into it myself aswell. I will call my Infiniti technician later on today and inquire about it :|
It should be fine as long as the rolling diameter is close to stock (a little larger or smaller won't hurt it). I think for the AWDs it's more important for the rolling diameter to be within 2% or 3% of each other (front & rear tires) if I remember correctly.

The big warranty question is really dealer dependent (and Infiniti to some extent) since the dealer has to be willing to push on Infiniti on your behalf in the event something goes wrong with the axles, suspension, other drive-train components, etc. In all honesty, there's a high probability nothing happens for the entire warranty of the car and then some since a lot of suspension/drive-train components are over-engineered.

But nothing's ever a sure thing and my luck is never as good as I would like or hope. So this is more a worry for me...and I am a worrier by nature LMAO.

·
Registered
102 Posts
It should be fine as long as the rolling diameter is close to stock (a little larger or smaller won't hurt it). I think for the AWDs it's more important for the rolling diameter to be within 2% or 3% of each other (front & rear tires) if I remember correctly.

The big warranty question is really dealer dependent (and Infiniti to some extent) since the dealer has to be willing to push on Infiniti on your behalf in the event something goes wrong with the axles, suspension, other drive-train components, etc. In all honesty, there's a high probability nothing happens for the entire warranty of the car and then some since a lot of suspension/drive-train components are over-engineered.

But nothing's ever a sure thing and my luck is never as good as I would like or hope. So this is more a worry for me...and I am a worrier by nature LMAO.

I'm the same way, I worry too much at times :|, specially for a 60-70k car

Reactions: testrage
1 - 20 of 20 Posts