Infiniti Q60 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was installing the FI lower down pipes this weekend and boy did I run into a mess.

I uninstalled the secondary catalytic converters, and was in the process of removing the O2 sensors to transfer to the Fast Intention down pipes.

The passenger side came out easy. Driver side would not budge with my 22 mm wrench. I took it to my local auto parts store and he had a 22 mm(7/8 ") O2 sensor socket tool. We put the socket wrench on it and gave it a good tug but it was stuck. I held the secondary cat and he gave it a massive tug and it finally moved. The gap between the sensor and the CC got wider and wider but the tension never eased up. It finally came out.

Low and behold, we stripped the threads. I don't know what we did wrong or how we could have avoided this. This was the first part of this nightmare.

Finding the O2 sensor was the second part of the nightmare. Not a single Infiniti dealership or online parts vendor had the O2 sensor in stock. This includes parts.com, z1motorsports, infinitiparts, etc. A few of the vendors showed inventory but no one actually had the item in stock and quoted me an ETA of 5 business days for the sensor to arrive in their hands from Infiniti Parts USA (one vendor said it would have to be shipped from Japan).

This is where our local Q60 forum friend Sid with DI_parts came through.
I spoke with Sid Monday afternoon (yesterday). He got working on it right way.
He had the part in his hand today and shipped it overnight. I will have it in my hands by 10:30 tomorrow morning.

The lessons I learned:
1.The O2 sensor will seize due to the high heat from the exhaust. I used anti seize lubricant on threads during the sensor re-install in case I have to go back.
2. Removal of the sensor may pose a challenge if you are unlucky. I didn't have problems on the passenger side, and catastrophe on the drivers side. You cannot get compounds such as PB blaster on the sensor as this may damage it. Also, its hard to get these penetrating compound into the threads that are already seized. If anyone has any other ideas on how to avoid this mess, please chime in.
3. If you need parts, Sid with DI_Parts is your guy. Most places wanted to charge me $260-$280 for the sensor. Sid charged me $180.

Thanks again, Sid. You are the best!

·
Registered
37 Posts
In cases like this heat is your friend. What I like to do with seized bolts, this applies to O2 sensors as well, is use a torch (Benzomatic hand torch will do). Carefully heat up the surrounding area (in this instance the bung). Get it nice and hot but not glowing cherry red. Once it's hot, pour cold water on the surrounding area. Rinse and repeat. This heating and cooling cycle will cause the metal to expand and contract eventually breaking the bond between the 2 parts. Take care when working with O2 sensors of course as too much heat will kill them. It sucks you had to go through this as O2 sensors are not cheap, but it's a fairly common problem when you have heat combined with CO2 and H2O byproduct getting in between the threads of the O2 sensor and the bung. Thumbs up to Sid for hooking you up though.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
3,698 Posts
Modding is fun

·
Premium Member
472 Posts
Glad I was able to pull through for you. Thanks for the props and let us know how it runs after all is back together!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Glad I was able to pull through for you. Thanks for the props and let us know how it runs after all is back together!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hi brother I had the same problem and after 3 month that I installed the lower Down pipe the check engine pop up the 02 sensor. Do you still have this part?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi brother I had the same problem and after 3 month that I installed the lower Down pipe the check engine pop up the 02 sensor. Do you still have this part?
I just installed my afe ldp and I have a cel. Do you still have a cel or did it go away?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I had the same exact problem- same side! I was able to muscle it out but when I found out how much a new sensor was I decided to try to clean up the treads. I used lots of anti-seize and it went back into the down pipe no problem. I’m sure I messed up the threads- hopefully I never have to remove it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts