Infiniti Q60 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just finished up the first oil change since owning the Q60RS. Let it go about 4k miles and man was it black!! Also, had to stop and make sure I wasn't draining my gas tank bc the oil smelled so much like fuel lol.

Now I'm waiting on the PB Blaster to set into the rusted screws on the LDPs. This looks like its gonna take a lost of bad words to accomplish removal of the top bolts.

The last few months I've been installing items here and there, like side skirts, new wheels, rear diffuser, chrome delete vinyl, etc. So I'll try to post a few photos of what's been done thus far

Gloss Black Painted Side skirts. You can see the side emblem delete as well.

New Verde VX 20x9 and 20 x 10.5

Tried to hide the JB4 wires as much as possible.

Booty

FI LPDs waiting for install

Chrome delete diy

Light tint on the tails and reflectors. Lights are still really bright. also removed all rear emblems except the Infiniti logo. I've been playing with wrapping it in different colors. My last attempt didnt turn out right so we will leave that out lol

Light tint on the side mirrors

Front chrome delete. This sucked and only looks decent up close. However I've never really wrapped anything before this car.

Hope yall enjoy the little mods I've done so far. Oh and dont flame me too hard on the center of the lug nuts. I have black replacements but had to see what the reds looked like hahaha.

Cheers

Tyler

·
Registered
585 Posts
Just finished up the first oil change since owning the Q60RS. Let it go about 4k miles and man was it black!! Also, had to stop and make sure I wasn't draining my gas tank bc the oil smelled so much like fuel lol.
My suggestion - on the next oil change, switch to a 5W30 oil, if you have not already. Before I switched oil brands, I had one oil sample which had > 2% fuel dilution, which caused the oil viscosity at the end of 5k miles to be a 5W20 vs a 5W30, because fuel in oil reduces effective viscosity. I have switched to using Valvoline Modern Engine 5W30, which is formulated for Direct Injection engines like the VR30DDTT. This oil has very good control of soot, which is likely causing your oil to turn black. It's best to order the oil from Walmart - I ordered the three (3) pack:

Valvoline Modern Engine 5W30 Oil

I have had at least two (2) oil changes with this oil, and the Blackstone Labs analysis ($28, BTW), has shown quite favorable results.

Blackstone Labs

I am using the Nissan-branded OEM oil filter.

Now I'm waiting on the PB Blaster to set into the rusted screws on the LDPs. This looks like its gonna take a lost of bad words to accomplish removal of the top bolts.
Before I upgraded to FI Catted DPs, I had FI LDPs installed for over a year. I installed the FI LDPs myself. The nuts will likely hold onto the exhaust studs (one from the top on each side) when you remove them, so it will seem like forever during the removal process. Also, make sure you use an elbow joint, especially on the driver's side, as the stud (nut) is slightly-inclined towards the firewall (i.e., not straight up-and-down). I almost rounded-off the nut when I first tried to remove it.

The last few months I've been installing items here and there, like side skirts, new wheels, rear diffuser, chrome delete vinyl, etc. So I'll try to post a few photos of what's been done thus far. Hope yall enjoy the little mods I've done so far. Oh and don't flame me too hard on the center of the lug nuts. I have black replacements but had to see what the reds looked like hahaha.

Cheers

Tyler
Looking good, yeah, except for the funky lug nuts.

You should also consider upgrading your rotors to Z1 Motorsports 2-piece rotors. Not only are they much better for braking performance and in a appearance than the stock rotors, they will also save 10 lbs/front corner and 5 lbs/rear corner, which will lighten the steering feel and make the suspension work less harder.

Z1 Motorsports FRT & RR Rotor Package

I highly recommend it.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Got these guys off finally. Two studs came all the way out with the nut.

LDPs about to go in

Thanks for the tips!! I'll check that oil out next change. Most likely will have Blackstone check at my next swap.

I've just been going slow and taking my time. Applied PB several times during the process.

I can say I've fully embraced my car, literally and figuratively. I had to hug the transmission to be able to reach the passenger 02. My forearm kept getting stuck when I tried to get up there lol.

About to wrap this up though and see how crazy loud this is with the Infiniti Sport Exhaust.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Got these guys off finally. Two studs came all the way out with the nut.
View attachment 22795

LDPs about to go in
View attachment 22796

Thanks for the tips!! I'll check that oil out next change. Most likely will have Blackstone check at my next swap.

I've just been going slow and taking my time. Applied PB several times during the process.

I can say I've fully embraced my car, literally and figuratively. I had to hug the transmission to be able to reach the passenger 02. My forearm kept getting stuck when I tried to get up there lol.

About to wrap this up though and see how crazy loud this is with the Infiniti Sport Exhaust.
Do you have a lift or just using ramps? I'm planning to change my LDP too.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
585 Posts
@IridiumRS400 can you confirm if 5w20 is the suggested engine oil? If it is, how did it affect mpg using 5w30?
The factory fill is 0W20, likely chosen for improving fuel economy. In the owner's manual, the recommendations are 0W20, but also 5W30 conventional - note: I would never use conventional dino oil in a TT engine! :

I did not mention to use 5W20, but rather, when I drained the oil at the end of the drain interval, ~5k miles, and had it analyzed, its viscosity was reduced to a 20-wt oil by virtue of having ~2% fuel dilution. The oil started out as a 5W30 oil.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
@tstod88 nice wheels. Is that flat black finish nd what is the offset?

Thanks! I really dig them. I'll have to check the offset for the rear, but the color is "Painted Black" Didn't specify if that was matte or satin. Looks more satin to me. I got the rears for 30 or 40% off from tire rack and found the fronts on eBay.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Do you have a lift or just using ramps? I'm planning to change my LDP too.

Just did it on the ramps with a big piece of cardboard to protect my back. A lift would have made it a bit easier but the biggest PITA are the top bolts. Once those are loose it's all down hill from there. Just take your time and go slow. I used that huge breaker bar on the top bolts - those things were on there!!!!

·
Registered
585 Posts
Also pardon my ignorance. What is FI Catted DPs?
Fast Intentions makes a Full Downpipe w/GESi Cats for the 2016+ Q50 & 2017+ Q60 w/VR30DDTT engine.

They look like this:

They replace the primary and secondary OEM cats.

The secondary cats are only there for cold-start emissions. Once the primary cats warm-up, or "light-off", then the secondary cats are just "along for the ride". A popular alternative option to Full DPs (Catted or Straight) is the Lower DPs, which only replace the secondary cats:

I started out with FI LDPs and CBE, and then upgraded to FI Catted DPs just before I got my Q60 Ecutek-tuned by SpecialtyZ. The FI LDPs are 2.5" diameter and the Full DPs are 3" diameter.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
did the LDPs give you more power and is it legal?
My butt dyno says I've gained a bit of low end torque. I had an issue with the tires spinning under 40 - 45 mph and now they break loose from 50 -55 if I push it to the floor. This is also due to having pretty much worn out Potenzas. New A/S 3+s are getting ordered soon. Didn't realize the backs were getting that bad. JB4 = tire killer

We don't do emissions testing where I'm located so pretty much any car is "Street legal" here, so Lower DPs are "legal". Not sure about other states that do inspections

·
Registered
585 Posts
We don't do emissions testing where I'm located so pretty much any car is "Street legal" here, so Lower DPs are "legal". Not sure about other states that do inspections
WA state ceased the state-wide emissions program as of January 1, 2020. Regardless, whether when I had the FI LDPs installed, or the FI Full DPs (Catted) installed, as I do now, either configuration would have passed the emissions tests, as WA state used to plug into the OBD system and check for "Readiness".

·
Registered
54 Posts
Fast Intentions makes a Full Downpipe w/GESi Cats for the 2016+ Q50 & 2017+ Q60 w/VR30DDTT engine.

They look like this:

They replace the primary and secondary OEM cats.

The secondary cats are only there for cold-start emissions. Once the primary cats warm-up, or "light-off", then the secondary cats are just "along for the ride". A popular alternative option to Full DPs (Catted or Straight) is the Lower DPs, which only replace the secondary cats:

I started out with FI LDPs and CBE, and then upgraded to FI Catted DPs just before I got my Q60 Ecutek-tuned by SpecialtyZ. The FI LDPs are 2.5" diameter and the Full DPs are 3" diameter.
Thank you for the feedback. I'm unable to see the photos though.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
DAV, Check out their site. It has all kinds of information, pics and vids.

Iridium, thanks for the info. Hopefully I'll be out that way in a few years for good. Tired of east coast life

1 - 15 of 15 Posts