Infiniti Q60 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Sup Fellas, I got the RS&R down springs for my AWD I did the front which were easy however doing the back is freaking nightmare I removed a bunch of the panel and still could not get the top cover off and also breaking some tabs pissed me off more, I had to put back everything together hopefully I can tackle it another day. Anyway if u have installed your own springs can you please give me some tricks that you use to get to rear strut and off the car?
Thanks,
Khris

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have heard changing the rear springs on the q60 is a nightmare. You have to remove the rear seats and panels. I will just hire someone to do it if I ever decide to lower my car. But my car is RWD and it already sits lower than its AWD counterparts.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Major pita. I removed rear panels on 1 day then did springs another. Probably 30 clips & another 20 bolts altogether. All in tight quarters, with the rear window looming on each move... You also have to loosen the rear airbag brackets. PITA.

BUT WORTH IT....

·
Premium Member
329 Posts
So pretty much expect to kill 2 days doing the work that blows.

The task of getting to the top strut mounts in the rear is indeed a pita, but once you do it a few times it gets fairly easy. I have RSR coilovers in my Q, and have had to get to the adjustment knobs multiple times because I keep thinking "okay this is the last setting to try" and then decide to change them again. So at this point I consider myself a subject matter expert in this ordeal LOL! Just some key pointers.

1. The rear seat doesn't HAVE to come out, unless you're exceedingly tall or heavyset you can fold down the back seat and just sit indian style on it. Pulling the rear will make it easier to work in the back sure, but you gotta then pull the rear out and reinstall......

2. If you're going to do this, go ahead and order some Nissan Door Trim Panel Clips on Amazon. Just do it and have them there for replacements, I can't tell you how many of these I've snapped getting the panels back into place, and I don't freaking care cause I bought these.
2a. Also get some good socket ratchet extensions and swivel sockets, both are great investments for your DIY obsession!

3. Just TAKE IT SLOW when pulling the paneling, and when pulling the rear lower panel REMEMBER there is a speaker on each side and you need to disconnect it prior to completely removing the panel out of the car.
4. You DO NOT HAVE TO take off the panels around the C-beam completely, just detach the bottom of the paneling around the rear deck.
5. The rear deck is the WORST PART of this effort hands down. Each side as to hard plastic hooks that get latch to the upper rear paneling, as well as attaching to clips under the deck. Also, if you're fully removing the rear deck remember that there are two connectors under the paneling in the trunk that you need to disconnect.
6. Getting the rear deck will require a bit of bending (unless you decide to take to approach of removing the upper panel), so be fairly careful not the rip it since it is basically just Styrofoam (and around $600 to replace). But don't be afraid to put a small crease in it or anything.

7. Once you have the rear deck out and you see the metal plates covering the strut mounts, don't give up LOL. To get the plates out of the way you'll need to remove the screws holding the big cylinder thing in the way? What's that cylinder thing? Oh just the explosive part of the airbag system no big deal... JK BE CRAZY CAREFUL DON'T GO BANGING ON THAT WITH ANYTHING HEAVY OR SHARP AND DON'T YANK ON IT EITHER! Just unscrew the 3 bolts and gently move it up enough to get the metal plate out of the way.

Tools you'll need?
10mm socket

10mm ratcheting wrench
Socket wrench extension (12" will do)
Nylon panel tools (Harbor Freight FTW)

I just installed adjustment knob extensions on Monday in about 1.5 hours, that's with getting everything out and back in. Hopefully I never have to do it again!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Got my RSR springs and waiting to install them when I get 48 hours of free time, I will let others know what I encounter.
FYI , I also purchased the Nissan panel clips as suggested by Logan .

·
Registered
347 Posts
Got my RSR springs and waiting to install them when I get 48 hours of free time, I will let others know what I encounter.
FYI , I also purchased the Nissan panel clips as suggested by Logan .

Hey man, did you ever end up getting around to installing them? If so, how'd it go and how is the ride? Also, after what feels like weeks of researching it looks like the only springs actually designed for our AWD variants is the RSRs. Do you happen to know if that is indeed the case? I've checked Swift, Tein, Eibach, Tanabe & H&R thinking that maybe something came out but hadn't hit the boards yet but it appears that there still isn't anything other than the RSRs.

·
Registered
124 Posts
to tell you the truth I still haven't installed them.they are just sitting here and waiting for the 10mm spacers I ordered.
I hope to install them next week.

I'm dreading removing all the rear interior parts to get at the back springs BUT I own an Audio shop and my techs are well versed in removed interiors so it should be too bad.
I will document the removal and install of the springs and post here.

As for your questions of other brands are available for the AWD I haven't looked.
RSR has a great rep so I wouldn't be leary about them.

·
Registered
347 Posts
RSR has a great rep so I wouldn't be leary about them.
I'm hesitant only because of the handful of reported cases of the fronts dramatically sagging over time on both RWD & AWD applications. That said, most of the reports were from folks rolling the Q50 variants so that may have been it. Anxious to hear how it goes, I have zero problems going with them, maybe I'm just being paranoid.

·
Registered
124 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Now you are making me paranoid! lol
I've read those comments as well, have you contacted RSR with the concerns? I may today as well.

On a different note can you check out this link below.
Its a poll I'm doing for an incident that happened to me a few weeks ago.
I would like you to vote and maybe make a comment ....

thanks !

https://www.infinitiq60.org/forum/wash-wax-detailing/15066-member-opinion-needed-help-4.html
Sorry man, that certainly wasn't my intent! With enough effort one can find something wrong with anything using the internets. Great idea regarding RSR, I just submitted an inquiry via their website form. I couldn't find a direct email, hopefully I'll get something back soon. Will do on your poll!

·
Registered
124 Posts
If you get a reply from RSR please let me know what they say on the sagging issue for Q60 QWD owners.
Have you found out if an alignment is all we need after the drop?
I hope so, don't really want to spend more money on camber and other suspension parts.

Thanks for voting on my poll !

·
Registered
124 Posts
I received this from RSR :

Thank you for getting in contact with us,

Thank you for purchasing the RS-R lowering springs for your 2017 Q60 AWD. We design our springs to be vehicle specific, so as long as the springs you purchased are specific to your vehicle you should not have any issues. We also back our lowering springs with a 3 year 36,000 mile warranty against any sagging issues. What we would recommend doing, is taking measurements of your vehicle prior to installation on a flat level surface, and after installation taking the vehicle for a drive, and then taking measurements again to note the ride height difference of the before and after ride height change, and over time you notice a change in ride height, you can refer to the measurements and check them to see if there has been any change.

In regards to your question about other owner experiences, we have heard of instances in the past with the Infiniti Q50's and Q60's about discrepancies in ride height, and ride quality. Most of these issues have been due to the installation of springs that were not specific to the model vehicle; e.g. , utilizing non sport/red sport springs on a sport/red sport vehicle, utilizing Q50 springs on a Q60, RWD springs on an AWD or vise versa. As we design our springs to be vehicle specific, we do not recommend utilizing springs not designed for your vehicle, as it may produce unwanted results. Currently the only springs we offer for the Q60 AWD would be for the Sport/Red sport, so as long as your vehicle is this model, you should be fine.

Regards,

RS-R USA.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I received this from RSR :

Thank you for getting in contact with us,

Thank you for purchasing the RS-R lowering springs for your 2017 Q60 AWD. We design our springs to be vehicle specific, so as long as the springs you purchased are specific to your vehicle you should not have any issues. We also back our lowering springs with a 3 year 36,000 mile warranty against any sagging issues. What we would recommend doing, is taking measurements of your vehicle prior to installation on a flat level surface, and after installation taking the vehicle for a drive, and then taking measurements again to note the ride height difference of the before and after ride height change, and over time you notice a change in ride height, you can refer to the measurements and check them to see if there has been any change.

In regards to your question about other owner experiences, we have heard of instances in the past with the Infiniti Q50's and Q60's about discrepancies in ride height, and ride quality. Most of these issues have been due to the installation of springs that were not specific to the model vehicle; e.g. , utilizing non sport/red sport springs on a sport/red sport vehicle, utilizing Q50 springs on a Q60, RWD springs on an AWD or vise versa. As we design our springs to be vehicle specific, we do not recommend utilizing springs not designed for your vehicle, as it may produce unwanted results. Currently the only springs we offer for the Q60 AWD would be for the Sport/Red sport, so as long as your vehicle is this model, you should be fine.

Regards,

RS-R USA.
Very cool man!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Front RSR springs installed took about 2 hours.
Front have dropped almost an inch and Im sure when the rear get done and the springs settle I should get just over an inch drop.

Next the notorious rear spring installation ....stay tuned.

Attachments

·
Registered
347 Posts
Front RSR springs installed took about 2 hours.
Front have dropped almost an inch and Im sure when the rear get done and the springs settle I should get just over an inch drop.

Next the notorious rear spring installation ....stay tuned.
Nice man! This is super inspiring, thanks for taking the time to include some shots and notes.

·
Registered
124 Posts
here are a few photos using the RSR lowering springs.
The photos really don't do it justice.....
I need wheel spacers for sure !
I think 15mm would do it unless someone out there can recommend something else.
Z1 motorsports and concepts performance are having a big Black Friday sale so I may purchase spacers then.

Attachments

·
Registered
347 Posts
Any updates bro? Did you get the rears in?

1 - 20 of 67 Posts