Infiniti Q60 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The windshield of my brand new Q60 RS LE has thousands of little chips that look embedded into the glass. I showed it to the dealer and they had the nerve to tell me it was lint from the cloth I used to clean the windshield. I've cleaned the windshield inside and out multiple times but they're still there, visible when the sun hits it at the right angle. Any suggestion?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
3,698 Posts
How many miles do you have on the car? Windshields will pit over time especially if you drive on heavily trafficked concrete freeways. Sand actually collects in crevices of all my vehicles even though they've never been to the beach. As far as I know there's nothing you can do to recondition the windshield. Only replace it.

·
Super Moderator
2,121 Posts
The manufacturing process used to make windshields and the fact that windshields are not a single layer of glass but a glass/polymer blend with a resin agent (and sometimes a vacuum region) to help with sound deadening means that almost every pane of windshield glass you see will have some "crystals" within the lattice of the glass framework. It's not a defect, it really is the way that the glass is manufactured.

Older cars didn't have this issue but in older cars, it wasn't uncommon for the glass to fracture into large & sharp chunks from any impact. Unless you can run your hand or fingers over the glass (or a fine tipped ball point pen) to where it catches in any grooves, etc you have what counts as a regular windshield in today's automotive world (this is based on my automotive experience).

I may be misunderstanding your concern though so please let me know if that's the case. It's hard to tell anything from a single picture. I'd recommend posting up pictures from multiple angles instead of just one in future.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your input. I bought the car in March and it has less than 6000 miles on it. I'm having trouble accepting that this is what a normal windshield on a $65K car looks like. It's actually compromising my ability to see through it when the sun is hitting it as the right angle. I drive in town and I don't live on the beach. Besides, the chips looks like they're embedded inside the glass, not the result of impacts on the surface.
I'll bring it to a car glass place and ask an expert.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
3,698 Posts
Thanks for your input. I bought the car in March and it has less than 6000 miles on it. I'm having trouble accepting that this is what a normal windshield on a $65K car looks like. It's actually compromising my ability to see through it when the sun is hitting it as the right angle. I drive in town and I don't live on the beach. Besides, the chips looks like they're embedded inside the glass, not the result of impacts on the surface.
Okay, well since the title was "Pitted windshield" I thought you meant on the surface.
If you don't already use them you might try polarized sunglasses.

Reactions: testrage

·
Super Moderator
2,121 Posts
Definitely get an expert's opinion but please please please don't let that expert be Safelite :laugh:

I'd recommend considering the following if you decide to replace the glass (because I really don't think there is an option to fill in these crystals in the glass) -
- there might be debris from the glass left in the car when they cut it out to replace it
- the replacement glass might take a while to arrive if using OEM (since the car is very new and not a volume seller)
- if you go with an aftermarket glass solution (if there is one), it may not be at the same level of quality or sound deadening, etc as the factory glass
- if the seal on the new glass doesn't set properly, you could end up with leaks and squeaks (heck, you might end up with squeaks anyhow)
- the new glass will probably have these crystals as well....maybe in a different location (or the same one)
- insurance wouldn't cover, and warranty probably won't either so you would have to pay out of pocket

Okay, well since the title was "Pitted windshield" I thought you meant on the surface.
If you don't already use them you might try polarized sunglasses.
- Bevo makes a very good recommendation. Polarized sunglasses will help. I use polarized sunglasses and have been using them for 6 or 7 yrs now.
- Another recommendation I would make would be to investigate tinting the front windshield.
--> They make clear tints if you are worried about being pulled over.
--> Heck, you can look at pics of my car if you want to get an idea of how the car would look with the clear front tint (you cannot tell it is there apart from a slight bluish sheen when standing outside the car and looking from a distance).
--> Tint would definitely help with your issues.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts