Infiniti Q60 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
3,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On Sunday was headed south on the West Loop in Houston. Came upon traffic and a Supra just before the two lane I-69 exit ramp for Downtown. The Supra punched it and took the outside lane. I decided to keep pace to see what's up. Entering I-69 the Supra aggressively made it's way through traffic to the far left lane, making his exhaust pop when approaching slower traffic. I followed. He punched it and I kept pace right behind him. Once I had a clear lane I went around him and gapped him. Probably got about 10 lengths on him when I slowed for traffic. He caught up in another lane, popping his exhaust. I got behind him again. He punched it. I followed, went around him, and gapped him again.

My only mod is the Infiniti Sport Exhaust Kit. I was surprised that the Supra wasn't faster.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Could it have been the 2.0 version? A quick duckduckgo shows it pretty much comes with the same flavors as a Q60. 2.0 at 255hp and 3.0 at 382hp, not sure if these are wheel or crank numbers though.

Either way you got to stretch the Q's legs which is all that matters

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
3,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
10 Posts
Either that guy really can't drive or it was the 2.0 version. Most races between redsports and Supras come out with the Supra winning by a few cars.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
3,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Either that guy really can't drive
Doesn't take much skill to mash the gas. Still seemed a lot better acceleration than 255hp. Exhaust pops were pretty loud for a 4 cylinder too.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Doesn't take much skill to mash the gas. Still seemed a lot better acceleration than 255hp. Exhaust pops were pretty loud for a 4 cylinder too.
Even in an auto it does take knowing your car and having an awareness of the cars power band to be an effective driver with an automatic. Theres a street racing channel on youtube that showed this the other day, was about a 1-2 car difference between drivers when one knew what they were doing.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
3,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Even in an auto it does take knowing your car and having an awareness of the cars power band to be an effective driver with an automatic.
We weren't roll racing. Doing around 60-70mph before the fun began.

·
Registered
2022 Q60 Red Sport - Slate Gray/Monaco Red and full of AWESOMENESS!!!
137 Posts
I can tell you personally that the 2.0 Supra accelerates at nearly the same rate as the Q. If it's a newer model 3.0 then it's the higher output motor that's over 400 hp and tq at the wheel even though Toyota cites less. The exhaust (stock) makes all the crackling/popping noises as well. If it was a 2.0 Supra then I'm not shocked. If it was the first model of this new gen 3.0 then I'm also not shocked. If it was the high output motor (new - newer models) then I struggle to believe our cars would keep up or beat it. The new 3.0 Supra - stock - is no question faster than the 60RS. (I had a deposit on a 3.0 premium 2022 model but gave up waiting for it since it was a giant question mark if it would ever arrive. I've personally driven a 2021 3.0 premium that has the high output motor and I can tell you it's faster than our cars.)

·
Registered
95 Posts
On Sunday was headed south on the West Loop in Houston. Came upon traffic and a Supra just before the two lane I-69 exit ramp for Downtown. The Supra punched it and took the outside lane. I decided to keep pace to see what's up. Entering I-69 the Supra aggressively made it's way through traffic to the far left lane, making his exhaust pop when approaching slower traffic. I followed. He punched it and I kept pace right behind him. Once I had a clear lane I went around him and gapped him. Probably got about 10 lengths on him when I slowed for traffic. He caught up in another lane, popping his exhaust. I got behind him again. He punched it. I followed, went around him, and gapped him again.

My only mod is the Infiniti Sport Exhaust Kit. I was surprised that the Supra wasn't faster.
I will be on the lookout for you on the highways of Houston now!!!!

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
3,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
3,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Reactions: HDI_Q and Brokeas

·
Registered
137 Posts
Based on this sound comparison it was a 3.0
That's interesting and honestly just makes me think they couldn't drive (not knocking you and your driving skills Bevo!). I'm also not knocking our vehicle but it's not remotely the same. That car is somewhere around 3400lbs with a much stronger motor compared to our nearly 3900lbs (RWD) and a weaker motor. Believe me, the Q is a MUCH MUCH MUCH nicer car but it's definitely more GT style sports car than straight sports car. The supra is straight sports car, consistently puts down 3.7 seconds 0-60 bone stock. Our cars are at 4.4 stock. The 2.0 supra is at 4.7ish (more in line with our car that has a 145 more hp). It sucks because in so many ways the Q could be SO much more and is SO much more than the BMYota in a lot of ways. That base motor on the BMYota will work with a 1000hp and not blow itself apart with a few changes. Unfortunately I don't think our motor would get close. The other possibility is that it was a 3.0 supra but the first run of them which had the 335hp motor. They're both good cars just different styles. The real question is do you like driving your Q? If yes, then it's all good! ;)(y)

·
Registered
137 Posts
If you haven't watched this then it's kind of interesting. He's running a tune (supposedly) on a base Q60 3.0. The driver's face at about the 5:59 mark is funny. -
Here's the Supra vs. C63 just for kicks -
The Supra vs. the Q60S -
(don't know how accurate this is since he claims he's used the "RED SPORT TUNE" but you get the general idea on that Supra)

I think of the Q just went a weight loss the car would be WAY quicker. It's an 800+ish pound difference which is pretty huge.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
That's interesting and honestly just makes me think they couldn't drive (not knocking you and your driving skills Bevo!). I'm also not knocking our vehicle but it's not remotely the same. That car is somewhere around 3400lbs with a much stronger motor compared to our nearly 3900lbs (RWD) and a weaker motor. Believe me, the Q is a MUCH MUCH MUCH nicer car but it's definitely more GT style sports car than straight sports car. The supra is straight sports car, consistently puts down 3.7 seconds 0-60 bone stock. Our cars are at 4.4 stock.
Answer: 400Z.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Answer: 400Z.
Yep most likely. I'm curious if it's the exact same motor as our cars or if it's been modified some. Information is kind of all over the place on its specs.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
3,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Reactions: MikesQ60_3.0

·
Registered
137 Posts
400-hp, Twin-Turbo V6 Engine
At the heart of the Z is a 3.0-liter V6 twin-turbocharged 24-valve engine. An aluminum-alloy block and heads keep things light, while a water-cooled intercooler helps keep things cool. An optical speed sensor brings power with turbine speeds up to a dizzying 220,000 rpm.
Thank you. I don't know why I struggled to find that, lol. It looks like it's the same motor! They don't give super detailed specs though that I'm seeing. No vehicle weight, etc.....?

Reactions: Bevo Horn

·
Registered
137 Posts
Reactions: SlateGreyRS400
1 - 20 of 22 Posts