Infiniti Q60 Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I posted this at Infinitiq50.org but since this question would follow both Q50/60 I figure I would put this here. This is my first time posting here since I currently do not own one. I also apologize if this has already been answered, I just couldn't find it. I currently own a heavily modified Subaru Legacy 3.6R, which is faster then a G37/Q50 3.7 but its starting to show its age and with Subaru being very boring and a WRX not something I would consider its time to move on to bigger and better things.

I am looking to get a RS400 in the next year but I have been asking around about reliability and lemons. I cannot find anything in this forum so I figure I would ask. I was talking to OrangeVirus about tuning and they basically said do NOT get this car. This is pieces of the email correspondence

"unfortunately at this time we are no longer offering tunes on this platform. We will be back, but for right now we have stopped due to the numerous issues with the drivetrain / engine that is causing a lot of problems with the vehicle (stock or tuned). Once nissan gets all these issues fixed and the cars are more reliable for tuning we will be back"

when I asked why I got this:

"The problem is that all the issues with the car is from STOCK problems. Like burning oil (blowing engines) killing EGT, MAF, and other sensors, brakes failing, transmission problems, rod knock, fuel injector failure, ...there is many, many problems with this engine I highly recommend you consider a differently vehicle."

They claimed there are many people who have complained about these cars being lemons and having all sorts of issues but I have yet to see anything relating to most of these issues. When I asked for links they said it was all over facebook, and I still found nothing. I want to be clear they are claiming this is stock..not tuned iussues.

Can anyone confirm or deny these issues exist on the Q50 RS400? I understand some tuners have their opinions but that was a pretty damning statement over the car. Obviously if those issues are common the car would be a bad purchase but I haven't seen anything of the sort on this forum (or anywhere).

I look forward to the feedback you guys can provide.

·
Registered
148 Posts
wow
no disrespect, but if it was yahoo - I'd say it is trolling.
But, I'll give you benefits of the doubts.
In all my over 25 years driving Nissans (Maximas) and numerous Infinities (35, 37c ipl, q50 3.7 with rattling p. seat, q60rs now) one thing that always survived rusted bodies was the engine (though MAF was a byatch in Maximas)
Are you sure you are not going to be a part of defamation lawsuit Infiniti might bring against ...whoever is saying what you say they are saying -...if that is really what "they" are saying?
I would tread very carefully from here on...just saying...

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hello,
I posted this at Infinitiq50.org but since this question would follow both Q50/60 I figure I would put this here. This is my first time posting here since I currently do not own one. I also apologize if this has already been answered, I just couldn't find it. I currently own a heavily modified Subaru Legacy 3.6R, which is faster then a G37/Q50 3.7 but its starting to show its age and with Subaru being very boring and a WRX not something I would consider its time to move on to bigger and better things.

I am looking to get a RS400 in the next year but I have been asking around about reliability and lemons. I cannot find anything in this forum so I figure I would ask. I was talking to OrangeVirus about tuning and they basically said do NOT get this car. This is pieces of the email correspondence

"unfortunately at this time we are no longer offering tunes on this platform. We will be back, but for right now we have stopped due to the numerous issues with the drivetrain / engine that is causing a lot of problems with the vehicle (stock or tuned). Once nissan gets all these issues fixed and the cars are more reliable for tuning we will be back"

when I asked why I got this:

"The problem is that all the issues with the car is from STOCK problems. Like burning oil (blowing engines) killing EGT, MAF, and other sensors, brakes failing, transmission problems, rod knock, fuel injector failure, ...there is many, many problems with this engine I highly recommend you consider a differently vehicle."

They claimed there are many people who have complained about these cars being lemons and having all sorts of issues but I have yet to see anything relating to most of these issues. When I asked for links they said it was all over facebook, and I still found nothing. I want to be clear they are claiming this is stock..not tuned iussues.

Can anyone confirm or deny these issues exist on the Q50 RS400? I understand some tuners have their opinions but that was a pretty damning statement over the car. Obviously if those issues are common the car would be a bad purchase but I haven't seen anything of the sort on this forum (or anywhere).

I look forward to the feedback you guys can provide.
I have had various vehicles through out my adult life (including Honda and Toyota). Specifically, I have owned 4 different Nissan/Infiniti vehicles. I can say without any hesitation or doubt that the Nissan/Infiniti brand is probably the most reliable trouble free vehicle that I have ever owned. Perhaps I've been lucky.

So lets focus on the VR30DDTT. The VR30DDTT is a brand new platform and brand new engine. However, much of this new advanced engine technology is borrowed from the Nissan GTR. As such, it is tried and tested and should be rock solid. Yes, the transmission may be the weakest link because it was the same one used in the VQ37. However, the word on the street is that the internal components of this transmission were beefed up for the VR30.

Yes, there have been some issues that have popped up. There was a recall on the 4 cylinder for the fuel pump. There were some isolated cases initially of the timing belt slipping off, and there were some other minor issues that popped up as well. As far as I know, there have never been any major or widespread problems.

In my personal experience, the Infiniti service department has always been phenomenal in customer care and any dealings I had with them. In other words, if you are one of the unlucky few that has issues, they will fix it. This is what the warranty is for.

My only negative experience with this vehicle was my own **** fault. I installed an aftermarket cold air intake and had issues with the transmission. I went back to stock and my problems went away.

Based on my personal experience with Nissan, I have no reason to believe that they would suddenly start producing lemons. Much of the technology in this vehicle is the same, the manufacturing process is the same, and quality control process is the same. No reason to become a crappy manufacturing company after 80 years of business.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
wow
no disrespect, but if it was yahoo - I'd say it is trolling.
But, I'll give you benefits of the doubts.
In all my over 25 years driving Nissans (Maximas) and numerous Infinities (35, 37c ipl, q50 3.7 with rattling p. seat, q60rs now) one thing that always survived rusted bodies was the engine (though MAF was a byatch in Maximas)
Are you sure you are not going to be a part of defamation lawsuit Infiniti might bring against ...whoever is saying what you say they are saying -...if that is really what "they" are saying?
I would tread very carefully from here on...just saying...
It was said in an email..not going after anyone, was watching the work they did on the 30vrddtt and was curious where they stood now more curious about the purchase of the car. Was actually rather shocked at their response but couldn't see where their info came from...with my time with my suby I learned one thing..when in doubt, ask the forum

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have had various vehicles through out my adult life (including Honda and Toyota). Specifically, I have owned 4 different Nissan/Infiniti vehicles. I can say without any hesitation or doubt that the Nissan/Infiniti brand is probably the most reliable trouble free vehicle that I have ever owned. Perhaps I've been lucky.

So lets focus on the VR30DDTT. The VR30DDTT is a brand new platform and brand new engine. However, much of this new advanced engine technology is borrowed from the Nissan GTR. As such, it is tried and tested and should be rock solid. Yes, the transmission may be the weakest link because it was the same one used in the VQ37. However, the word on the street is that the internal components of this transmission were beefed up for the VR30.

Yes, there have been some issues that have popped up. There was a recall on the 4 cylinder for the fuel pump. There were some isolated cases initially of the timing belt slipping off, and there were some other minor issues that popped up as well. As far as I know, there have never been any major or widespread problems.

In my personal experience, the Infiniti service department has always been phenomenal in customer care and any dealings I had with them. In other words, if you are one of the unlucky few that has issues, they will fix it. This is what the warranty is for.

My only negative experience with this vehicle was my own **** fault. I installed an aftermarket cold air intake and had issues with the transmission. I went back to stock and my problems went away.

Based on my personal experience with Nissan, I have no reason to believe that they would suddenly start producing lemons. Much of the technology in this vehicle is the same, the manufacturing process is the same, and quality control process is the same. No reason to become a crappy manufacturing company after 80 years of business.
That's kinda what I figured but I thought it was best to ask. Never had an aftermarket shop flat out say don't get this vehicle.

Just seemed odd to me

I'm also a little surprised the q50/q60s are on different websites.

I gotta get used to this Nissan game :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
I sent you an email with several pieces of proof (and that was just a 5 minute search).

I do not think any of this is being seen on the forums as a majority of people post on facebook groups.

I have zero reason to lie or deceive anybody.

People will surely spin this into "oh yeah those were cars you tuned" except that's not the case at all.

As far as I am aware there has been 2 vehicle with engine issues after we tuned them. Both were from excessive oil consumption / oil loss. However this happens even on STOCK vehicles, and several people have posted to that.

One person experienced rod knock and his engine was covered because his rod bolts were not tightened to spec.
I even posted his EXACT boost curves to quiet the chatter. They were just like OEM redsport boost.

again, people are going to spin this any way they wish. I've been tuning this cars since before ecutek existed on this platform, I have seen it all. I have watched belts explode on the dyno, I've seen a car with under 2000 miles 100% stock and the engine exploded. I have no reason to lie I am simply saying it would be best if you considered waiting until Nissan fixes whatever is wrong with them.

Does it mean this happens to all of them? No.

·
Registered
148 Posts
.... There were some isolated cases initially of the timing belt slipping off, ....
It is either drive/accessory belt which had tsb) or timing chain in our cars ...which you really do not want to "slip off" :D

·
Registered
3 Posts
It is either drive/accessory belt which had tsb) or timing chain in our cars ...which you really do not want to "slip off" :D
I never said timing belt. (good edit).

I also supplied the OP with several posts from several people showing what I was discussing with him.

Like I said people will spin this all sorts of ways, blame me, question my reputation, etc. If I was so evil I wouldn't give any care in the world and just continue to sell tunes. I'm sure people with a lot more stake in this market will go against what I am saying.

A lot of disinformation has been posted about us by others to the point that I don't even try to correct it. I say I've seen stock cars lemoned and people say it's because we can't control boost in high RPM. Makes no sense.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I never said timing belt. (good edit).

I also supplied the OP with several posts from several people showing what I was discussing with him.

Like I said people will spin this all sorts of ways, blame me, question my reputation, etc. If I was so evil I wouldn't give any care in the world and just continue to sell tunes. I'm sure people with a lot more stake in this market will go against what I am saying.

A lot of disinformation has been posted about us by others to the point that I don't even try to correct it. I say I've seen stock cars lemoned and people say it's because we can't control boost in high RPM. Makes no sense.
was not replying to you...you center of the universe :D

·
Registered
3 Posts
was not replying to you...you center of the universe :D
ok, I saw it before you edited. (like the comments about what you've read online)

anyways

I'm being 100% honest here and I get dragged through the mud for it. Have I seen cars with problems? yes. Above normal I think, and expressed that to the OP. Have I tuned cars that ended with problems? Yes. Was the tune to blame for these? no (except a specific case where boost was difficult to control. His car ended with no damage and was retuned). What we have seen more than anything is extreme oil loss / consumption. Which inevitably leads to catastrophic failure.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok, I saw it before you edited. (like the comments about what you've read online)

anyways

I'm being 100% honest here and I get dragged through the mud for it. Have I seen cars with problems? yes. Above normal I think, and expressed that to the OP. Have I tuned cars that ended with problems? Yes. Was the tune to blame for these? no (except a specific case where boost was difficult to control. His car ended with no damage and was retuned). What we have seen more than anything is extreme oil loss / consumption. Which inevitably leads to catastrophic failure.
I posted this not because I didn't believe you, in fact I absolutely did. I posted it because I couldn't find it and I'm doing my due diligence as a customer.

I showed my current tuner, one of the best and most knowledgeable subaru tuners your post on from 2016 and he was very impressed. He sees a lot of junk from that world and he is rarely impressed by anything he sees

Im not trying to spread misinformation. Going in what you said was very strong. I was just trying to get more information. I apologize for that

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
3,698 Posts
A lot of disinformation has been posted about us by others to the point that I don't even try to correct it.
That's pretty ironic right there :laugh:

·
Super Moderator
2,121 Posts
@Golferdude1087, I've only had my car for half a year and have only about 3k miles on it. So far, I've not experienced any issues but my car is still too new so it's not a very good data point. I think the Q50 3.0T engine reliability data should provide a better representation. I'm thinking there's probably around 50k Q50s running around with the 3.0T. I don't have this data or have access to it but I'd focus on trying to get to it versus using anecdotal information.

Let us know if you find anything else.

As a word of caution, please keep any attacks, personal or otherwise out of this thread. I expect everyone to behave like grown-ups!

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
3,698 Posts
At 5,000 miles not a dribble, drizzle, or drop of oil has been consumed by the VR30DDTT. However there has been some oil loss. It occurs when I wipe off the dipstick.

·
Registered
148 Posts
You use car oil for that :eek:???
As I said - Kerrygold or nothing. In all fairness even then there is a chance of oil leak in Nissans' engines

P.S. Good grace... I just realized what dipstick it was in reference to....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts