Infiniti Q60 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Forgive me for the dramatic subject title.

I have been reading which much anxiety on the Infiniti Q50/Q60 Facebook forum of at least 3 people who had their engines catch fire. The 3 individuals were running stock. The fourth individual was using a Visconti tune.

I should also throw in there the ECU de-compensations, the timing belt failures, or the coolant explosions.

Visconti took full responsibility and paid for the damage but posted in the forums that it wasn't their fault. The car had a poorly seated o-ring during the manufacture process.

The other 3 individuals stated that they were running stock and the "engine exploded". Their comments are vague with no explanation on what happened other than the fact that Infiniti just replaced the engine. One of the well know Infinti/Nissan custom tuners has chimed in that the new engine is crap.

Anyone have any worries or concerns about this new engine falling apart or it it all just a bunch of bad hype or rare circumstances?

·
Registered
244 Posts
Forgive me for the dramatic subject title.

I have been reading which much anxiety on the Infiniti Q50/Q60 Facebook forum of at least 3 people who had their engines catch fire. The 3 individuals were running stock. The fourth individual was using a Visconti tune.

I should also throw in there the ECU de-compensations, the timing belt failures, or the coolant explosions.

Visconti took full responsibility and paid for the damage but posted in the forums that it wasn't their fault. The car had a poorly seated o-ring during the manufacture process.

The other 3 individuals stated that they were running stock and the "engine exploded". Their comments are vague with no explanation on what happened other than the fact that Infiniti just replaced the engine. One of the well know Infinti/Nissan custom tuners has chimed in that the new engine is crap.

Anyone have any worries or concerns about this new engine falling apart or it it all just a bunch of bad hype or rare circumstances?
Not worried, this is a new engine and any major issues will be magnified a thousand-fold...if it were a widespread problem Infiniti would have done a recall already. Lemon laws exist for exactly these types of scenarios...i'm at 6K miles w/ only the sport exhaust w/ muffler kit, oil changes @ 1,200 and 5,000 miles and the engine is beasting along without any issues...and this is my daily driver, at least 40 miles of commuting a day.

·
Super Moderator
2,121 Posts
zenboy444, without having a lot of background on the 3 that failed, a lot of the other "failures" I've heard about seem to be manufacturing related. I'd be interested to find out if these were low VIN cars and if they were predominantly Q50s or a healthy mix of Q50s/Q60s since that will tell us how learnings from earlier builds & final engineering validation is being factored into the newer built vehicles.

I'd just enjoy the car for what it is at this point in time. The VR series of engine has been out since 2008 although the VR30 is considerably newer, has a slightly different design and DI to add more complexity. It is also the first mass produced version of the VR series with the previous VR38s being hand built by Takumis in a controlled facility. I expect some teething issues and so would every manufacturer. That's why we have a warranty although it's more the inconvenience & distaste of something happening to a brand new car that worries folks (myself included).

Now all bets are off the minute something happens that shouldn't have leading to driver/occupant injury. But we have systems in place to help in the event of something like that happening as well.

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
This is the reason why I'm not doing a tune. We have warranties for a reason. If it blows up.... I want it to be on Infiniti, not cause of something I did to change the engine management systems

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
I think some of the "blow-ups" may be related to the serpentine belt mis-alignment on the early S/N engines.

When the belt flies off, it would obviously cause chaos in the engine compartment and make the driver take notice. The water pump, alternator, etc., would lose drive and effect the coolant flow, electrical power, etc., and if the engine continued to run, conditions could degrade quickly.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I think some of the "blow-ups" may be related to the serpentine belt mis-alignment on the early S/N engines.

When the belt flies off, it would obviously cause chaos in the engine compartment and make the driver take notice. The water pump, alternator, etc., would lose drive and effect the coolant flow, electrical power, etc., and if the engine continued to run, conditions could degrade quickly.
Exactly. You'd be amazed at the number of people (even sports car owners) who will continue to drive even when smoke is coming out of their engine bay. I would not be surprised if 95% of the "explosions" were serpentine belt failures.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts