Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Reactions: SpeedyQ

·
Super Moderator
2,894 Posts
In Washington state.

2017 Infiniti Q60 3.0t Premium is underrated, makes 310 hp at the wheels - TestMiles.Com | Automotive Industry News / Car Reviews

That's a little better on HP, but significantly better on torque than current dyno numbers performed in California. I assume Washington state has access to 93 octane gas, opposed to only 91 octane in Cali...

Can anyone verify the octane difference between the two states?
Doesn't look like they stated what octane rating the fuel had that they used for the dyno test

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Side Note: @Bevo Horn, are you excited about Coach Herman...

I'm a huge college football fan (I root for Univ. of Southern Mississippi, TTT) and I found it absolutely amusing that UofH though they would be able to keep him if big brother (UT) came calling.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Doesn't look like they stated what octane rating the fuel had that they used for the dyno test
No they didn't...I am going to assume they used 93 because that torque number is significantly higher than what Fast Intentions and Stillen were able to produce on their dynos in California.

·
Super Moderator
2,894 Posts
Side Note: @Bevo Horn, are you excited about Coach Herman...

I'm a huge college football fan (I root for Univ. of Southern Mississippi, TTT) and I found it absolutely amusing that UofH though they would be able to keep him if big brother (UT) came calling.
Heck yeah I am. I knew he was smart, but didn't know how smart until Colin Cowherd asked him about his Mensa membership. Not going to miss every answer given at a press conference with, "When you look at it..."
No they didn't...I am going to assume they used 93 because that torque number is significantly higher than what Fast Intentions and Stillen were able to produce on their dynos in California.
At the bottom of the article a reader asked about the octane used

Reactions: Q602B

·
Registered
312 Posts
We use 93 in NJ and maybe this was why I was so surprised and impressed with the 3.0t compared to my G35 and the many G37s I've driven as loaners. Interesting read, thanks.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Reactions: Bevo Horn

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Great find. I believe the RS 400 is also underrated as well if you dig around the Q50 forums.
Indeed it is...consistently dyno'd at around 375hp and 350 lb-ft/tq to the wheels...on 91 Octane gas.

Fast Intentions got up to 393hp and ~375 lb-ft/tq to the wheels with their exhaust application. Imagine what if a dyno is performed on 93, with this exhaust system, and an applicable tune (3.0T version as well)...

·
Registered
45 Posts
i feel that the RS is way underrated. I was pulling up to a light of 3 lanes of traffic the other night, see a Cadillac swing over to the right lane. One of those where right lane ends so I knew what that car was doing. So I set the car in Sport and punched it, was not gong to let that Caddy get by. Once i took off, the Caddy could not catch or get by,was 2 car lengths, let off about 80 after the right lane ended. Took a right at the next light and it was a 2013-14 CTS-V Wagon Black Diamond, which on paper should have blown my doors off. May have caught him off guard, but the RS motor is strong. Very impressed with the launch off the line.

·
Registered
469 Posts
i feel that the RS is way underrated. I was pulling up to a light of 3 lanes of traffic the other night, see a Cadillac swing over to the right lane. One of those where right lane ends so I knew what that car was doing. So I set the car in Sport and punched it, was not gong to let that Caddy get by. Once i took off, the Caddy could not catch or get by,was 2 car lengths, let off about 80 after the right lane ended. Took a right at the next light and it was a 2013-14 CTS-V Wagon Black Diamond, which on paper should have blown my doors off. May have caught him off guard, but the RS motor is strong. Very impressed with the launch off the line.
Both the red and silver sport have been dynoed and they both put out more power than advertised.

·
Super Moderator
2,894 Posts
VR30DDTT engine model: INFINITI recommends
the use of unleaded premium
gasoline with 93 AKI (Anti-Knock Index)
number (Research octane number 98) to
obtain the maximum vehicle performance
and the best driveability.
I assume Infiniti would publish HP ratings based on their own octane recommendations. Also, there will be a variance between one dyno and another.

·
Registered
839 Posts
In Washington state.

2017 Infiniti Q60 3.0t Premium is underrated, makes 310 hp at the wheels - TestMiles.Com | Automotive Industry News / Car Reviews

That's a little better on HP, but significantly better on torque than current dyno numbers performed in California. I assume Washington state has access to 93 octane gas, opposed to only 91 octane in Cali...

Can anyone verify the octane difference between the two states?
WA State is 92 Octane. :( At least I have access to non-ethanol gas.

·
Super Moderator
2,894 Posts
Would throwing some octane booster in do any justice ?
I wouldn't risk jacking something up. If you just have to have more octane buy race gas.

Sunoco® FR™ is an unleaded oxygenated race fuel that performs well in turbocharged engines as well as air-restricted naturally aspirated engines that can benefit from an oxygenated racing fuel. It complies with certain race fuel regulations limiting oxygen to 4 volume percent.
Sunoco FR contains additives to enhance storage life. Sunoco FR will not harm oxygen sensors and can be used in any racing application requiring an unleaded fuel. As with any gasoline, FR should be stored in opaque sealed containers where temperatures are stable.

Octane (R+M)/2 96
Research Octane 102
FR - Sunoco Race Fuels

·
Registered
61 Posts
I assume Infinitive would publish HP ratings based on their own octane recommendations. Also, there will be a variance between one dyno and another.
Multiple Q50 3.0t and RS400 owners have put their cars on dynos and all have confirmed the cars put down more than advertised. Definitely underrated by Infiniti. Perhaps it's a marketing gimmick of having vehicles that produce exactly 300 and 400 horsepower.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Super Moderator
2,894 Posts
Multiple Q50 3.0t and RS400 owners have put their cars on dynos and all have confirmed the cars put down more than advertised. Definitely underrated by Infiniti. Perhaps it's a marketing gimmick of having vehicles that produce exactly 300 and 400 horsepower.
Do you have a link to share for any RS tests?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts