Infiniti Q60 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

I am looking at purchasing a new Q60 but have some questions about the way the AWD system functions on it.

We are a big Skiing family, and currently have all AWD cars. We live up in Pennsylvania but go on many ski trips over the winter to VT and even Canada, and completely rely on good snow traction on these trips, as we often will be hit with big snowstorms while traveling.

My understanding is that the Q60 is actually in rear wheel drive all the time, and then will automatically shift power to the front wheels if/when the computers sense 'slip'. Is this correct?

So, a few questions:

1) Am I correct that the Q60 is really rear-wheel drive until it senses slip?
2) How much power can it distribute to the front vs. rear. For example, on my Audi Quattro and Volvo XC90, it can vary from up to 100% all the way to the front or 100% all the way to the rear wheels, depending upon which axles are getting traction.
3) Can it also allocate different power levels to different wheels on the same axel? For example, on my Quattro and XC90 , if one front wheel slips, it moves more power to the other front wheel. The beauty of this approach is that you can actually get yourself out of a snowbank as long as you have just one tire that has traction. The system will know to put power to just that wheel and you can power out.

We looked at the Q60 and really liked it. We are comparing against the Audi Q7, Volvo XC90 and Acura MDX.

But I am a bit worried that the Q60's approach to AWD may not be good enough for us.

We have an Audi Quattro, Volvo XC90, and two Subarus. All AWD cars that get snows on for the winter, and as big "snow birds", have spent many a harrowing drives forging through blizzards and snow covered roads, so we KNOW how important good 4WD can be and don't want to get a vehicle if the 4WD system just isn't up to par. Maybe for a snowy highway a part-time 4WD is ok, but we go up back roads through the mountains of Vermont and Canada. And our Volvo XC90 has always served us faithfully, so if we make a switch, we need to know the Q60 is up to the task.

Any technical advice or real world experience would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Michael

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sorry folks.. I posted this to the wrong site.. this is for a QX60.. I'll repost to the right site.. my bad... just missed the "X" in the site name !

Yikes! Embarrassing nebie mistake...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts