2010 Hyundai Sonata Interior:

And for $hits and giggles...

2008-2015 Infiniti G/Q40 Exterior Front Design:

2007-2009 Hyundai Sonata Exterior Front Design:

2010-2013 Hyundai Sonata Exterior Front Design:

·
Registered
175 Posts
^ Good comparison, from this we've learned (as expected) that hyundai likes to play catch up :D
I can appreciate Hyundai for how they've advanced as a car company, from their humbling beginnings. But I can't stand how they've essentially copied nearly every established car manufacture since those humbling beginnings...and have profited majorly.

They haven't had a coherent, indigenous design (outside of the Veloster) since those humble beginnings as well.

Reactions: IPL-Q-Sixty

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I can appreciate Hyundai for how they've advanced as a car company, from their humbling beginnings. But I can't stand how they've essentially copied nearly every established car manufacture since those humbling beginnings...and have profited majorly.

They haven't had a coherent, indigenous design (outside of the Veloster) since those humble beginnings as well.
same here, i know what you mean
but the name of the game is profit and them riding off the coat tails of the rest of the industry while using other attractive methods helped to create their success.

now though, they're at a stage where they can be truly original.

·
Registered
95 Posts
To be fair, the industry tends to follow some of the same design trends just because those are what look good on cars right now. I don't think they are actually copying or anything. Just going with what they think looks best.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
To be fair, the industry tends to follow some of the same design trends just because those are what look good on cars right now. I don't think they are actually copying or anything. Just going with what they think looks best.
This is actually very true, even back in the 50's and 60's it was like that. The same can be said for many other industries for the changing times, they all just adapt and add their own unique touches.

·
Registered
95 Posts
If you really want to see copy cats, go to an auto show in China.

Lifan 320 = Mini Cooper

Dongfeng Crazy Soldier = Hummer H1

Zotye S21 = Audi Q3

·
Registered
108 Posts
Do you think the Chinese themselves care that they are getting copies? The business model must be viable.

Do Chinese companies with original designs also get copied? Don't they lobby the government for some intellectual property rights?

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If they're all about image and getting that image at a cost that which works within their (low) budget, then it works. As you can imagine buying a real Rolls Royce or a real Range Rover/Land Rover costs A LOT, then there's the ridiculous cost of maintenance.

·
Registered
591 Posts
You get what you pay for. Heard the Chinese copies do very poorly when it comes to safety tests in other countries.
At least Honda's similar models are safe.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You get what you pay for. Heard the Chinese copies do very poorly when it comes to safety tests in other countries.
At least Honda's similar models are safe.
That I can imagine being the case as developing technology like that to keep occupants safe takes millions, even hundreds of millions... doubt those chinese companies have that coin.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Not only do Chinese have to buy the car, they also have to insure it and get a license. The license is given away through a bidding system. It costs tens of thousands of dollars to win one. And if you don't win this month, then it will only be more expensive. With those costs factored in as well, it's no wonder why less expensive models are quite popular in the country.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts