Infiniti Q60 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
I've currently got a 2015 Q60S with the VQ motor. I am looking to get in to one of the new Q60's with the VR due to the way higher tuning potential. My Q is heavily modded but still NA so I've basically run out of options to increase power without going turbo which will cost a significant amount of money to build plus a trans rebuild. My question is that I've narrowed my search and found a 2018 Q60 luxe for about 31k with super low miles. This package does not have the sport brakes, which will be necessary. Is it worth it to buy the luxe and just upgrade brakes and everything after? Or do I spend an extra 5-7k to find a decent redsport? Are the upgrades on the RS worth the money or something that I can do to the luxe with all aftermarket parts for less? Thanks in advance for any advice!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Hey all,
I've currently got a 2015 Q60S with the VQ motor. I am looking to get in to one of the new Q60's with the VR due to the way higher tuning potential. My Q is heavily modded but still NA so I've basically run out of options to increase power without going turbo which will cost a significant amount of money to build plus a trans rebuild. My question is that I've narrowed my search and found a 2018 Q60 luxe for about 31k with super low miles. This package does not have the sport brakes, which will be necessary. Is it worth it to buy the luxe and just upgrade brakes and everything after? Or do I spend an extra 5-7k to find a decent redsport? Are the upgrades on the RS worth the money or something that I can do to the luxe with all aftermarket parts for less? Thanks in advance for any advice!
Check out here. IMO coming from an 17Luxe to a 21 RS, the RS is just a world of difference. If you have the money I would get the RS.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Is it worth it to buy the luxe and just upgrade brakes and everything after? Or do I spend an extra 5-7k to find a decent redsport? Are the upgrades on the RS worth the money or something that I can do to the luxe with all aftermarket parts for less? Thanks in advance for any advice!
I'm biased towards the Red Sport, as it is an excellent starting point for modding. As you said, with the Red Sport, you already get the Sport Brakes, in addition to 2nd IC pump, speed sensors on the turbos, and a high-ratio rear end (and front end for AWD) which helps with off-the-line performance. The Red Sport also gets you the Digital Dynamic Suspension (DDS), which uses magnetics to firm the dampening in "Sport" & "Sport+"(Red Sport only) mode.

In MY2017, they offered the "Sport" package, too. It would have had silver Sport calipers and the DDS Suspension. If you can find one, that could be an alternative to the Red Sport.

IMO, when reaching higher power mod levels, the speed sensors on the Red Sport turbos gives the ECM the ability to reduce/control over-boost conditions, which combined with poor maintenance and/or driving habits, i.e., rode hard, put away wet, can cause premature turbo failures. I have an Ecutek tune that has a 93-octane map with 1.3 bar (~19 psi) nominal boost levels. No issues so far w/27k miles knock wood.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Low mileage is important since you intend to tune.

BBKs are going to run you 2-3K (self install) add another 300-500 for installation. Honestly - try some upgraded stoptech or Hawkes brake pads first, you will be surprised at the performance increase. Plus the non-sport rotors are lighter.

You can add the speed sensors, 2nd water pump, paddle shifters, and a RS rear differential (RWD) for $1000 to $1200

While you can change out the front and rear differentials on the AWD model to achieve the RS final drive, it seems you have to drop the engine to change the front diff.

RS Final gear only affects acceleration above 125mph

If you plan to upgrade the suspension, the DDS becomes dead weight. The standard Q60 suspension is slightly tighter than Q50.

The RS 20" wheels are HEAVY, you may want to swap those out for something lighter - and grab some Michelin Pilot sport 4S or Continental extreme contact sport tires to complete.

You can control overboost with BOV's - but Infiniti seems to get triggered when they see BOVs (makes them think you are a "serious" modder)

Exhaust is where the RS shows the biggest difference. Going full catless relieves the back pressure and causes the turbos to overspin. Without the speed sensors, turbo life may degrade. Keeping 2 of the 4 cats or high flow cats with ECUtec tune is generally sufficient to prevent overspin, and maximize WHP.

SO many choices in the VR30 upgrade path - Enjoy building the car that's right for you!

·
Registered
29 Posts
We are on the same boat mate.

I have 17 Luxe in Solar Mica and want to get a RS version in the same colour but can't find.

I found one at a dealership last week, it got listed and sold at the same day! I didn't even have time to go check it and it was the PERFECT Q60 to me, 30k KM mileage, 2018 RS Solar Mica with White interior and mint condition and 7k CAD below market value.

Now I feel that I hate my Q60 but thinking about giving it some stage 1 mods and make it a RS itself but the fact that I miss some stuff like the sport brakes, different suspension and a bunch of sensors makes me sad..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts