Infiniti Q60 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so admittedly its not much but it is something. Auto Express was speaking with Andy Palmer, Boss of Development at Nissan, during Frankfurt IAA and the topic swung around to the 370Z..

Palmer quipped that Nissan is really interested in revamping the 370Z into an entirely new sports car. He stressed how important it is for the new car to differ from the current 370Z and not resemble the FRS/BRZ twins..

Rumors have the new 370 borrowing styling cues from the Juke Nismo and potentially it will show up electrocuted, er, electrified. We could see that comboed with a diminutive turbo setup.

Lastly Palmer said the new 370 should be revealed at the Tokyo motor show in November.

Now this is where wild eyed speculation comes into play. Considering Q60 and 370Z are essentially the same cars. Maybe our next gen Q60 will be different from Q50 after all... What do you guys think if Q60 shrinks in size?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Well its nice to have a slightly different look. I wouldn't mind it actually. I feel that this is what the Q60 needs to draw in buyers. Having the same overall look as the Q50 but with two doors is boring.

No way will the Q60 shrink in size that would just compromise way too much.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Well its nice to have a slightly different look. I wouldn't mind it actually. I feel that this is what the Q60 needs to draw in buyers. Having the same overall look as the Q50 but with two doors is boring.

No way will the Q60 shrink in size that would just compromise way too much.
yeah it's already starting to take on some unique aggressive design lines that the Lexus IS coupe and the the BMW m4 has going on. just give them time, we'll see a crazy Q60 in full...soon.

·
Registered
364 Posts
That's what I'm getting at.

Infiniti needs to make the Q60 different.

What do they mean by electrify.. So a hybrid 370z?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's what I'm getting at.

Infiniti needs to make the Q60 different.

What do they mean by electrify.. So a hybrid 370z?
There was no details offered beyond his little comment about 370 getting electrified.

The other scenario is that Infiniti uses a smaller revamped 370 for something other than the Q60.

Infiniti President Johan de Nysschen has said that Infiniti will be adding 5 new models to its existing 6 models, saying that Infiniti needs diesels, smaller luxury and a high end halo car.

Ignoring the Halo car and ignoring the diesels, a smaller 370Z could form the basis of a Q30 coupe (Q40 anyone??) while the Q60 stays with its current dimensions....

·
Registered
225 Posts
There was no details offered beyond his little comment about 370 getting electrified.

The other scenario is that Infiniti uses a smaller revamped 370 for something other than the Q60.

Infiniti President Johan de Nysschen has said that Infiniti will be adding 5 new models to its existing 6 models, saying that Infiniti needs diesels, smaller luxury and a high end halo car.

Ignoring the Halo car and ignoring the diesels, a smaller 370Z could form the basis of a Q30 coupe (Q40 anyone??) while the Q60 stays with its current dimensions....

Make sure to add the new QX30 to that, now we have to find out what the other 4 models are.

What would a Q40 be? A compact performance sedan?

·
Registered
364 Posts

there is a potential for a hybrid Q60 just like the hybrid Q50.

So a hybrid 370z is possible.

·
Registered
76 Posts
For the hybrid 370z they just have to slap on two electrical motors and it will fly. Cna you imagine how much horsepower and torque that sucker would have.

·
Registered
225 Posts
For the hybrid 370z they just have to slap on two electrical motors and it will fly. Cna you imagine how much horsepower and torque that sucker would have.
They can just do that or, have a lower output engine that still delivers decent power and the electric motors to compensate for the power and even add a bit more on top. In the end they would have a 370z more powerful that gets more MPG's than the last.

·
Registered
228 Posts
this sounds a lot like what Acura is doing already.
if they can make it happen people will love it
it might turn out to be an AWD Z Car, no better way to make the Z even better.

·
Registered
76 Posts
They can just do that or, have a lower output engine that still delivers decent power and the electric motors to compensate for the power and even add a bit more on top. In the end they would have a 370z more powerful that gets more MPG's than the last.
that sounds reasonable as the v6 engines are known to be a gas guzzler. If they can implement the new hybrid tech in to it so they can start spreading what they are tryign to achieve with the whole hybrid perforance thing.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I think that Nissan is really trying to be on the fore front of electric vehicles. With electric sports cars coming out now, the 370Z seems like a likely contender for a hybrid engine.

I think that in the same vein the Q60 could be a hybrid as well.

The Juke styling on the 370Z will be really cool. As long as it doesn't go too far. I mean the Juke is pretty distinctive.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Nissan does have the iMiev EV which is doing OKAY, but it's a start, it's their foot in the door, something to build on to Nissan EV's on a mass scale.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I dont think the cars will be fully electric.

More so hybrids

Kind of like the Q50 hybrid and M class hybrid.

Hybrids that offer better performance and better mileage.
Rare breed of hybrids.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
they won't go fully electric in a performace coupe like 370Z or Q60 because its counter intuitive to performance. The torque will be more then enough for an exhilarating drive, but you can't just hop into your fulyl electric vehicle and go for a long cruise on deserted back roads or even run it up to a track day. Re fueling is the biggest issue.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I can't see them turn a 370 or Q60 into a fully electric vehicle but they might do what acura is doing and put electric motors at the wheels and still keep the petrol engine as is , along with some others and call it a hybrid

·
Registered
27 Posts
So when people are getting excited about making the 370z smaller... is the goal to make it a crotch rocket? The thing already has a trunk that is filled with a couple double size honey nut cheerios from sams club....

·
Registered
228 Posts
I'd say the goal is to make it a rocket to beat everything in it's class. Like what most car makers aim for.
Not sure the direction Infiniti wants to go, but making the next gen Q60 coupe no longer a 2 door version of a sedan is the way to go.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts