Infiniti Q60 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all

I have been fighting a Highway vibration for almost 10 months now. The car has been at the dealer too many times to count. They are always pointing at the tire/rims saying balance issues. So what have I done to remedy this issue:
New Conti DWS-06
OEM rims straightened and road force balanced. 10lbs and under on all
Same rim and tire package re-balanced. All under 10lbs.
New aftermarket rims with Michelin X-ice ( living in Canada has its privilege's...lol )
Aftermarket rims/tires road force balanced. Didn't get a reading from the balancer
After market rims/tires road force balanced again. All 10lb or under.

At this point the vibration is the "best" it's been so far. However it still has an unacceptable vibration at highway speed. Was out yesterday for a long drive and even my wife said " thought you had that fixed ? " . Ughhhh so did I .

It seems to get worse the longer I am driving and way more noticeable on smoother pavement. Vibration gets worse with increased speed 60mph + .

Oh , and to make this all the more interesting. My dealer is closing it's doors at the end of March and my warranty is finished in June. Hoping to have this resolved under warranty and not on my dime come June.

At this point it appears there is something inherently wrong with the car and even the slightest imperfection in the rim/tire multiplies the vibration.
I absolutely love this car, it gets way more comments than anything I have ever driven. Wife has a newer(2019) S5 Cabriolet and say " nobody ever gives me the thumbs up..." . That's because it's not a Q60 I say back to her...

So looking for any advice on where to turn next ? Has anyone had similar issues with these cars ?
I really don't want to have to sell this car.

Cheers and I really appreciate the forum.

Thanks,
Pleasantly frustrated.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
At speed, do you feel the vibration in the steering wheel or in the seat? This will tell you whether it is front (steering wheels) or rear (driven wheels). The Infiniti AWD system is rear drive biased under normal driving conditions.

If you feel it in the seat/floor pan, it could be an issue with the rear 2-piece driveshaft. However, before I get ahead of myself, where you can feel the vibration is the 1st step.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
At speed, do you feel the vibration in the steering wheel or in the seat? This will tell you whether it is front (steering wheels) or rear (driven wheels). The Infiniti AWD system is rear drive biased under normal driving conditions.

If you feel it in the seat/floor pan, it could be an issue with the rear 2-piece driveshaft. However, before I get ahead of myself, where you can feel the vibration is the 1st step.
The Vibration is definitely originating from the front of the car. There is only a slight vibration in the steering wheel. However the entire front of the car seems to be in oscillation. Perfect example is that I have my phone in one of those weather-tech phone cupholders. At highway speed the phone is vibration back and forth at a constant rhythm.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
The Vibration is definitely originating from the front of the car. There is only a slight vibration in the steering wheel. However the entire front of the car seems to be in oscillation. Perfect example is that I have my phone in one of those weather-tech phone cupholders. At highway speed the phone is vibration back and forth at a constant rhythm.
Isolating the vibration to the front, rotating the wheels from front to rear and vice-versa doesn't change anything, which then eliminates the wheels.

Have you had this car since new, or bought it used? Mileage? I see you mention "OEM wheels straightened". Why? Any pothole or raised pavement impacts historically?

For vibrations in the front end, it could be a bad wheel bearing(s), worn/damaged tie rod end(s), or a worn/damaged ball joint in the control arm.

Reactions: Bevo Horn

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Tried rotating back to front and no change.With both sets of tires and rims.
I purchased the vehicle used from my local dealer June 2020 with about 80,000 km. The OEM rims didn't show any major curb rash. I'm kind of pissed at myself that I didn't pick up on the vibration during my test drive. Did notice the tram-lining with those factory Dunlop RF and maybe just chalked it up to those awful tires. The new Continnentals went on pretty quickly. So it's scheduled for yet another trip to the dealer on Monday. Sure hope they can find out what's going on.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Sounds complex and maybe multiple causes?? Maybe ask the dealer to switch out a four wheels/tires for just a test run. I mean what else could cause it unless the vehicle was in a previous accident which records will confirm/indicate.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
UPDATE- Dealer had the vehicle for 5 days and was not able to identify anything wrong with the vehicle. Apparently what I'm feeling is road force vibrations through the steering wheel. The dealer has finished with their diagnosis and claims the vehicle is operating "normally". I didn't realize normal operation meant your passenger seat vibrates at a constant rhythm continuously at highway speeds and the front of the car vibrates as if a wheel is out of balance. As far as knowing what "road force vibrations" feels like, our other car ( Audi S5 on Michelin Pilot Sport 35 series ) exhibits none of these characteristics. I have called Infiniti Canada and received no further resolution, they did offer me a $200 gift card.
So I guess my only option is to either take it to different dealership or have a independent shop take a look at it. There is a Nissan/Infiniti specialty garage not to far from me.
Don't want to get rid of this car, but it's looking that way. Very disappointing as I really enjoy the looks and fun this car CAN provide.
Any advice is more than welcome as I am at a total loss.....

Hope everyone is safe and enjoying the spring weather.
Cheers.

·
Registered
85 Posts
UPDATE- Dealer had the vehicle for 5 days and was not able to identify anything wrong with the vehicle. Apparently what I'm feeling is road force vibrations through the steering wheel. The dealer has finished with their diagnosis and claims the vehicle is operating "normally". I didn't realize normal operation meant your passenger seat vibrates at a constant rhythm continuously at highway speeds and the front of the car vibrates as if a wheel is out of balance. As far as knowing what "road force vibrations" feels like, our other car ( Audi S5 on Michelin Pilot Sport 35 series ) exhibits none of these characteristics. I have called Infiniti Canada and received no further resolution, they did offer me a $200 gift card.
So I guess my only option is to either take it to different dealership or have a independent shop take a look at it. There is a Nissan/Infiniti specialty garage not to far from me.
Don't want to get rid of this car, but it's looking that way. Very disappointing as I really enjoy the looks and fun this car CAN provide.
Any advice is more than welcome as I am at a total loss.....

Hope everyone is safe and enjoying the spring weather.
Cheers.
man that really sucks sorry to hear that... i just picked one up myself.... i do know on my old g35 i had this issue. i actually found it it was my breaks/calipers lol. So my back calipers were SEIZED and i did not know- and for some reason that caused the car to shake without actually using the breaks. i got that fixed and never had an issue. maybe take a look at the breaks set up?

and what about the ball joints etc. my last G also had a TIE ROD issue making this weird hum sound

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
* UPDATE *
Vibration is gone !!!
And so are the Continental DWS06 tires.

Realized my original post was not 100% correct. Should have added more detail.
I purchased the car from my local dealer and it came with a very well used set of the Dunlop RFs , just driving around town for a couple of days on these Dunlops . Hadn't done any highway driving on the Dunlops, but just knew they needed to be replaced. So on went the brand new Continental DWS06 and that's where my highway headaches began.
These tires will not stay balanced. I hade them RF balanced at least half a dozen times (probably more, I lost track)
Was looking at all sorts of other possible causes to the vibration and was just assuming that a brand new set of tires wouldn't be the culprit. My bad ! They were definitely the source of vibration.
I would get them RF balanced to under 20lbs, not ideal but would make it somewhat better. Then a couple of weeks later the vibration would be back. Take the car back to my dealer and the RF numbers would be 30-50 ( 58 just this last time).Not to mention these DWS06 would flat spot like crazy.
So long story short , replaced with a new set of Michelin Pilot Sport AS 3+, like I was going to in the first place.
Have always put Michelins on all my vehicles and I'm kicking myself for straying...
My wife has the AS3+ on her S5 Cabriolet for couple years now. They've been a fantastic 3 season tire and highly recommend the Michelins.

I DO NOT however recommend the Continental DWS06.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
My wife has the AS3+ on her S5 Cabriolet for couple years now. They've been a fantastic 3 season tire and highly recommend the Michelins.
I have the A/S 3+ on my Red Sport wheels as my Fall/Winter tire.

No vibrations, good grip, no complaints...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts