Infiniti Q60 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently driving a Q50S but my lease is up and I really like the Q60RS but for the same price I could get the BMW 440. Which one do you guys think is worth the money. I know many of you have your cars for awhile so maybe some opinions.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
3,698 Posts
Have you driven both?

·
Super Moderator
2,121 Posts
I've test driven the BMW but the Q60RS dealer don't offer it for test drive.
Find a different dealer. I took a 30min test drive in 2 RS models before I decided to buy. There were never any questions about test driving the car and the dealer knew I was working between them and another Infiniti dealer (which ultimately won my business).

It's really weird that the same dealer you leased your Q50 from would not let you test drive a Q60RS. It looks good for them if they can keep you and your business as opposed to loosing you to BMW.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Find a different dealer. I took a 30min test drive in 2 RS models before I decided to buy. There were never any questions about test driving the car and the dealer knew I was working between them and another Infiniti dealer (which ultimately won my business).

It's really weird that the same dealer you leased your Q50 from would not let you test drive a Q60RS. It looks good for them if they can keep you and your business as opposed to loosing you to BMW.
^ Agreed. That boggles my mind.

All 3 of the dealers I went to let me test drive the different vehicles (Porsche Cayman, C63, Q60RS) I was considering (without a deposit) and I'm 25, was wearing shorts, sandals, a Speed Factor shirt(my local performance shop) and a Ferrari jacket. So definitely nothing fancy that eluded that I had money.

Although, I've heard my local BMW dealership is pretty snobby when it comes to letting me go for test drives. Never tried though.

I'd highly recommend going to a different dealership and taking the Q60 for a trip, its a night and day difference from the 3.7.

·
Registered
33 Posts
From the research I did before I got my RS400 is that the BMW is slower, feels more sporty, but its steering is nothing compared to previous models (worse)

Interior of a BMW is what it is, some say the materials are inferior. Q50/60 materials are nothing to write home about. BMW interior is its classic style, personally looks good to me.
Its a sportier drive, better transmission, good power delivery.

The major thing holding Infiniti back is the transmission. I hope in 3 years when my lease is up they fix it, otherwise Ill be taking a hard look elsewhere.

·
Registered
125 Posts
From the research I did before I got my RS400 is that the BMW is slower, feels more sporty, but its steering is nothing compared to previous models (worse)

Interior of a BMW is what it is, some say the materials are inferior. Q50/60 materials are nothing to write home about. BMW interior is its classic style, personally looks good to me.

The major thing holding Infiniti back is the transmission. I hope in 3 years when my lease is up they fix it, otherwise Ill be taking a hard look elsewhere.
2nd that.

BMW all the way minus looks, unless you get the m-sport package on the 440, then again it will be the BMW as a purchase.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

But you don't regret getting the 400RS tho? Overall stilla great car and competes with the 4series.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I love how the 400RS looks all around just some minor stuff and same interior as my 3.7. The BMW just because it's simply a BMW. Quality wise my opinion I think BMW takes its without a doubt.

·
Registered
33 Posts
But you don't regret getting the 400RS tho? Overall stilla great car and competes with the 4series.
Just to clarify, I have the Q50 Sedan Red Sport 400. At the time I got my car there were no Q60 Red Sports available on the East Coast.

I dont regret it when comparing the features the RS400 has and overall price. My monthly lease is pretty good, which also helps. Sometimes I overhear coworkers and friends talk about how much they pay monthly for crappy domestic leases and I am amazed at the fact that they overpay so much.

As jgomezjr2 mentioned, if I was going to get one I would definitely do the M package.
The only way I would get a 440i is if the lease pricing was the same for the same amount of tech. I hear they lease around $550 or so, thats $90 over my RS400 AWD.

·
Registered
244 Posts
440i has a better transmission and better overall steering/handling, interior is bleh for me...I actually really like the interior of the Q50s/Q60s, it's very simple and practical and just works for me. Exterior design wise, Infiniti takes it hands down...BMW's design language to me has always been pretty underwhelming and uninspired across their entire range of vehicles, and they really haven't bothered to change things up at all in a long time.

It's hard to beat a Q60 RS400 though if you get a good deal....I got mine for essentially $48k from Infiniti and the only other car I was looking at as a competitor was the M4, which was EASILY another ~$25k for a comparable package...that made my Q60 RS a very, very easy buy, and I have zero regrets....I did get a ton of incentives to make the OTD price significantly below MSRP though, and I would assume that Infiniti isn't moving Q60s at that low of a price anymore (mine was also a referral purchase as well).

You just get a LOT of car for your buck if you can haggle a good price for a Q60 RS, and while BMW is definitely quality all around you're still paying a hefty premium for the name alone (and in my experience, Infiniti is still looked upon as a luxury brand by most folks regardless of it being a segment of Nissan, so name recognition isn't really a factor for me when purchasing 'luxury' vehicles).

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
440i has a better transmission and better overall steering/handling, interior is bleh for me...I actually really like the interior of the Q50s/Q60s, it's very simple and practical and just works for me. Exterior design wise, Infiniti takes it hands down...BMW's design language to me has always been pretty underwhelming and uninspired across their entire range of vehicles, and they really haven't bothered to change things up at all in a long time.

It's hard to beat a Q60 RS400 though if you get a good deal....I got mine for essentially $48k from Infiniti and the only other car I was looking at as a competitor was the M4, which was EASILY another ~$25k for a comparable package...that made my Q60 RS a very, very easy buy, and I have zero regrets....I did get a ton of incentives to make the OTD price significantly below MSRP though, and I would assume that Infiniti isn't moving Q60s at that low of a price anymore (mine was also a referral purchase as well).

You just get a LOT of car for your buck if you can haggle a good price for a Q60 RS, and while BMW is definitely quality all around you're still paying a hefty premium for the name alone (and in my experience, Infiniti is still looked upon as a luxury brand by most folks regardless of it being a segment of Nissan, so name recognition isn't really a factor for me when purchasing 'luxury' vehicles).
I agree with you for me the price will really make up mind. I really love the design of the Q60 redsport. Bmw has a boring interior and exterior hasn't changed at all just an lci. Appricate everyone's word on this.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I told this story before.

I was looking at the M4 versus Q60 RS. The BMW dealer didn't recommend test driving the 4 Series after I drove the M4 so I didn't. Feeling and handling of the M4 felt very similar which was perplexidng sicne I felt both didn't lety me feel the road like my 2002 G35 Coupe. I also read some independent pundit blog that picked the Q60's suspension over the M4 so I shrugged. BTW, The side mirrors on the M4 blocked so much of my view that I found it distracting. Performance wise, the M4 transmission felt better but I didn't feel the difference in engine performance. The zero to sixty tests have the M4 getting their in 4.0 seconds so it must better. I traded in my G35 Coupe and two independent reseller places (Carmax and Webuyanycar.com) both asked what I was looing at today. They both said without my prompting that if you are going to keep your car for long periods, the BMW's get burned head gaskets over time versus the Japanese engines. Pretty general comment which I didn't solicit.

The biggest reason though why I didn't go with the M4 is when I was there for a second test drive, both the sales and the technical support guy couldn't tell one BMW from another in their massive parking lot. I said to my self then, sh*t, I am not paying $80,000 for a BMW that looks like every other one on the lot, period...

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I told this story before.

I was looking at the M4 versus Q60 RS. The BMW dealer didn't recommend test driving the 4 Series after I drove the M4 so I didn't. Feeling and handling of the M4 felt very similar which was perplexidng sicne I felt both didn't lety me feel the road like my 2002 G35 Coupe. I also read some independent pundit blog that picked the Q60's suspension over the M4 so I shrugged. BTW, The side mirrors on the M4 blocked so much of my view that I found it distracting. Performance wise, the M4 transmission felt better but I didn't feel the difference in engine performance. The zero to sixty tests have the M4 getting their in 4.0 seconds so it must better. I traded in my G35 Coupe and two independent reseller places (Carmax and Webuyanycar.com) both asked what I was looing at today. They both said without my prompting that if you are going to keep your car for long periods, the BMW's get burned head gaskets over time versus the Japanese engines. Pretty general comment which I didn't solicit.

The biggest reason though why I didn't go with the M4 is when I was there for a second test drive, both the sales and the technical support guy couldn't tell one BMW from another in their massive parking lot. I said to my self then, sh*t, I am not paying $80,000 for a BMW that looks like every other one on the lot, period...
with the q60rs you deff get a whole lot of car for the money esp if you go with the tech pack. All these online reviews all they do is bash the infiniti.

·
Premium Member
61 Posts

I agree completely that the flaw of the Q60 is the transmission and I also hope the fix that by the time my lease is up. The car is great otherwise, but the paddles don't provide crisp shifts. Even my wife's 2008 328i wagon with paddles had crisper shifting. and using the stick for manual is not as crisp as you will get in the BMW.

I just went from a 335i to a Q60RS, so not a direct comparison as the 440i is a newer model, but the Q60 is a big upgrade in my mind. I didn't have M package on my 335, so the Q60 is definitely better in the suspension department. Q60 is decidedly faster than my 335; Q60 is similar to the 335i with a serious electronic tune. I think that the Q60RS slots right between the 440 and the Ms.

I was weighing an M2 versus Q60. 440 was just meh to me, but maybe that's because I had a 335. The M4, apples to apples with the Q60, is easily $25k more; maybe $30k. Sticker to sticker, the M2 and Q60 were similar for what I wanted, but the M2 is not selling below sticker and many dealers are still looking for a markup. But right now, you should be able to get around 10% off MSRP on a 2017 Q60RS. you have to be prepared to take what's on the lot.

BWM financing options suck. To lease the M2 would be around $1100-1200/mo. !!! Same with an M4. I looked at buying with 3rd party financing, but it was still expensive monthly payment wise and I'd need to put around $15-20k down to make it palatable to my "financial advisor" (e.g., spouse). I suspect the 440 would be slightly better just because of the lower sticker price as compared to an M4 and better RV compared to the M2 (BMW currently has a 46% RV on a 36 mo M2 lease!).

The Q60 leasing numbers are insanely good. It's pretty much free money. It is clear to me that BMW's business model has changed and they are no longer providing good lease incentives to buy their cars.

BMWs drive well, no doubt about that. Setting aside the SUVs, everyone I have driven just drives really well. I've owned 5 now, and when I get in other cars, I realize just how good they drive. I don't think that my Q60 is that far off. I definitely avoided drive-by-wire. and I don't have but 200 miles in mine, but it handles well and I don't regret the decision one bit. My wife drove the Q60 and said she was amazed how at home she felt immediately behind wheel. A friend at work with a Cayman drove my Q60 and was extremely impressed.

It's a beautiful car, and the interior is definitely comparable to the BMW. Intouch is sort of weak, but iDrive even in the latest incarnation is nothing to write home about. They are both quite a bit behind the Audis in terms of tech from what I can discern. (I got my wife a 2017 Q7 in Jan and the tech is really nice).

·
Registered
61 Posts
I know I'm late to this thread, but I would go with the 440i.

I currently have a Q60 3.0 (non RS) after leasing an m235i, and I miss the heck out of the bimmer. While my Q60 easily has a sleeker looking exterior, the m235i just had a lot more personality and thrill to drive than this car, was considerably faster (fairly certain it's faster than the RS as well) not to mention way better handling and tighter turning radius, plus the technology and interior were far superior in my opinion. And that car was 3 years older than my Q60! The free maintenance for 36k miles was nice as well.

If it weren't for the fact that I wanted to save a little money and try a different brand, I easily would have rolled into another 2 or 4 series. Also, like others have mentioned, BMW hasn't updated their exteriors/interiors in years, but then again, Infiniti didn't even bother to enhance the interior or technology of the Q60...it came straight off the Q50, which is without question the biggest letdown of the car for me. No signs of an Android Auto/Apple CarPlay update coming to existing Q60 owners any time soon either.

·
Registered
20 Posts
The 80's called and they want your BMW interior back.
Bleh. Can't even get the colors to match and the misplaced nav etc. seem like an afterthought.
Free maintenance because, well, they break down. A lot.
BMW is now a "me too" car. No personality.
To each their own... but I have a few friends who continue to buy BMW and complain to me constantly.
It's like the people who keep dating the wrong type and can't figure out why they're unhappy...
Uh oh Bruno - we forgot the nav screen

·
Registered
33 Posts
I know I'm late to this thread, but I would go with the 440i.

I currently have a Q60 3.0 (non RS) after leasing an m235i, and I miss the heck out of the bimmer. While my Q60 easily has a sleeker looking exterior, the m235i just had a lot more personality and thrill to drive than this car, was considerably faster (fairly certain it's faster than the RS as well) not to mention way better handling and tighter turning radius, plus the technology and interior were far superior in my opinion. And that car was 3 years older than my Q60! The free maintenance for 36k miles was nice as well.

If it weren't for the fact that I wanted to save a little money and try a different brand, I easily would have rolled into another 2 or 4 series. Also, like others have mentioned, BMW hasn't updated their exteriors/interiors in years, but then again, Infiniti didn't even bother to enhance the interior or technology of the Q60...it came straight off the Q50, which is without question the biggest letdown of the car for me. No signs of an Android Auto/Apple CarPlay update coming to existing Q60 owners any time soon either.
It isnt faster, but you have to compare AWD models not RWD. Both get sketchy traction in a RWD variant.

Didnt BMW stop the free maintenance and cut the warranty by a year recently?

I will agree that BMW is sportier, and feels like it has personality. That is what my G37 Coupe had before I got an RS400 Q50. New car is more refined but it doesnt have a personality.
From what I hear the sedan market from all luxury manufacturers is stale, everyone wants and SUV or an in between. Last I checked for a similarly prices 340i its about $100 more with money out of pocket. Is it worth getting some personality for an additional $100 and cash out of pocket? Most would say no with my agreeing because at the end of the day the RS400 is a great car, and plenty fast.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts