Infiniti Q60 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else been experiencing vibration issues at highway speeds and on acceleration? I have had my car into the dealership at least 8 times since purchase for them to track this down. The condition is usually a constant annoying vibration that you can feel in the steering wheel and seat of the vehicle (passengers have noticed as well), but very occasionally it will turn into a downright shuddering of the vehicle above 65mph. The constant condition used to be intermittent but is now always there. The vibration is still there if putting the vehicle into neutral at highway speed.

The dealer at first claimed they could not reproduce the issue (3 appointments) and that the run flat tires ride poorly. Later they claimed it was balancing required (did not solve issue). Month's later they claimed I need 4 new tires. Purchased Continental Extreme Contact tires (not run flats) and it did not solve the issue. They then said two of the brand new tires were defective and needed to be replaced (done). After replaced, the car was worse. They then road force balanced the car multiple times and kept the vehicle to perform extended road tests. Received vehicle back, no improvement. I was then told, this is a normal condition for the coupes.

I eventually got more info from an Infiniti service mechanic who told me they are seeing this issues with many of the Q60 coupes. He knows exactly what I am talking about and feels it as well on test drives. Infiniti's internal database shows hundreds of owner complaints of this condition and none of them are getting fixed. Infiniti mechanics are frustrated as their hands are tied. He told me that he suspects an issue/defect in the drive line, but they are not authorized to swap out parts here under warranty to troubleshoot unless regional Infiniti master technicians are involved. They cannot isolate the issue otherwise. I am now working to escalate this within Infiniti Consumer Affairs but this is frustrating to say the least on a new car at this price point. I love everything else about the vehicle and just want to solve the problem. My car has been at the dealership's service department 5 out of the last 6 weeks. I have owned four prior Infiniti coupes G35's, G37, G37 convertible and have never had this issue. I hope to stay an Infiniti customer going forward but if I cannot get this resolved, I may be done.

·
Super Moderator
2,132 Posts
Chris, do you have DAS or do you have the regular steering rack set-up? My car has been fine. I noticed some vibration initially that I posted about previously which would go away after a few minutes but that has gone away ever since I switched tires & wheels.

Has all the work been done at the same dealership? Any chance you could take the car to a local tire/wheel shop and have them look at it? They tend to be very cheap but also very good at detecting issues based on my experiences with local tire shops. Heck, I got my wheels and tires changed at a local shop here in town and they did an awesome job.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have the regular steering rack set-up. Yes, all the work was done at the same dealership. I'm up for trying anything reasonable. The dealer did say they tested all the rims and detected no issues. I forgot to mention that they swapped the wheels/tires from the dealer's Q60 coupe, that I was using as their loaner, to my car. I had none of these vibration issues while driving the loaner. I took a test drive with the mechanic after the swap and we still felt the vibration issues in my car.

·
Super Moderator
2,132 Posts
I have the regular steering rack set-up. Yes, all the work was done at the same dealership. I'm up for trying anything reasonable. The dealer did say they tested all the rims and detected no issues. I forgot to mention that they swapped the wheels/tires from the dealer's Q60 coupe, that I was using as their loaner, to my car. I had none of these vibration issues while driving the loaner. I took a test drive with the mechanic after the swap and we still felt the vibration issues in my car.
That sounds like a car issue then but I'd get the wheels and tires looked at elsewhere just to be on the safe side. If the loaner didn't do it, I wonder how they can claim it's normal condition for the coupes.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I bet the loaner you received had the DAS (drive by wire) because with this option you shouldn't feel vibrations from your tires / wheels coming back through your steering wheel. I have DAS and its very very smooth. The only time I felt some vibrations is when I left my vehicle parked a few days and the tires would cause a vibration feeling until I went a few miles. I assumed by sitting a few days they had developed flat spots and needed to be worked out.

I agree with Testrage and would also check the lemon law and see how much time you have and what you a dealer and/or car manufacturer has to do and by what dates etc.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
3,800 Posts
Chris, what city are you in?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I bet the loaner you received had the DAS (drive by wire) because with this option you shouldn't feel vibrations from your tires / wheels coming back through your steering wheel. I have DAS and its very very smooth. The only time I felt some vibrations is when I left my vehicle parked a few days and the tires would cause a vibration feeling until I went a few miles. I assumed by sitting a few days they had developed flat spots and needed to be worked out.

I agree with Testrage and would also check the lemon law and see how much time you have and what you a dealer and/or car manufacturer has to do and by what dates etc.
Omenx- thank you for the suggestions. I am fairly certain the loaner was a regular steering rack setup. Steering felt exactly the same and I could still feel the normal road noise I'd expect in a stiffer suspension coupe. My entire car vibrates at predictable speed ranges (50 -80+) in a rhythmic manner on all road surfaces, including brand new paved roads.

Definitely checking into Lemon Laws...

·
Premium Member
329 Posts
So it may be a bit of a stretch but perhaps you have a bad brake rotor(s)? I only say this because my buddy had a shimmy in his 2014 Q50 when he first got it brand new, and it turned out to be warped front rotors. To this day he swears Infiniti OEM rotors are absolute crap. Does the vibration increase under braking?

Other then that if the wheels aren't bent, all I can think of is bad tie rod(s) or worse, drive train problems.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
3,800 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
In doing a bunch of research online on people complaining about similar issues in various vehicles, brakes did come up quite a bit. Also, faulty sensors causing ABS issues, etc. I mentioned it to my mechanic, and was told the brakes are fine. There are no noticeable issues during braking and no vibrations in the brake petal, etc.. Mechanic said he is suspecting drive train issues unfortunately.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Just FYI, I have '17 3.0t Premium without DAS and I have no vibration/shuddering issues. The only thing I note with my Conti DWS06 is a terrible resonance on occasion with certain speed and driving surface. Like the whole frickin' car is a tuning fork. Not often but when it happens it is awful.

·
Premium Member
329 Posts
Just FYI, I have '17 3.0t Premium without DAS and I have no vibration/shuddering issues. The only thing I note with my Conti DWS06 is a terrible resonance on occasion with certain speed and driving surface. Like the whole frickin' car is a tuning fork. Not often but when it happens it is awful.
Same here, non-DAS Red Sport with no vibrations. I also have DWS06's and know exactly what you mean by the occasional tone. I think it's something about the DWS's in general because I remember having the same thing on my G35 years ago.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I had this problem on my 2014 Q50, along with others. I even had my driveshaft replaced after taking an extended drive with an Infiniti engineer. Long story short, replacing the driveshaft did not solve the issue either. You can search the Q50 forums and there are a bunch of threads regarding this very issue.

When you got the road force balance, did they give you a printout of the results? I spoke to an Infiniti Master Tech and he said each tire/wheel assembly must be under 9lbs of road force (not to be confused with how much weight is needed to balance the tire).

I hope since your last post you’ve reached a resolution. If not, purusing the road force balance results may be the next best step. Typically Michelins and Bridgestone tires road force well and have less out of round issues.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Does it take a little while to develop after you're on the road? My money is on a brake Caliper sticking. Check your mpg's to see if they are low. When it rains next and it does it, pull over and touch your wheels. The one that is warm/hot is the one that's sticking. The rest will be cold. If it's been doing it long enough you'll be able to see extra wear on the pads. Likely uneven wear too. Try turning off active trace control in the settings menu to see if that helps. could be it engages and it's releasing.

Reactions: Coahman

·
Registered
13 Posts
Does it take a little while to develop after you're on the road? My money is on a brake Caliper sticking. Check your mpg's to see if they are low. When it rains next and it does it, pull over and touch your wheels. The one that is warm/hot is the one that's sticking. The rest will be cold. If it's been doing it long enough you'll be able to see extra wear on the pads. Likely uneven wear too. Try turning off active trace control in the settings menu to see if that helps. could be it engages and it's releasing.
Happens right away on mine (live close to highway)...
Tried turning everything off a while ago including active trace, no difference.
Touched all the rims after a long drive in the rain today, they were all cold.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
3,800 Posts
Touched all the rims after a long drive in the rain today, they were all cold.
The brake discs would be hot if the brakes were dragging, not the wheels.

·
Registered
145 Posts
The brake discs would be hot if the brakes were dragging, not the wheels.
I just got through replacing my wife's front brakes. Wheel indeed was very warm to the touch. I would no touch the caliper :D

1 - 20 of 36 Posts