Infiniti Q60 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, just purchased my 2017 q60 3.0t premium few months ago. My first real mod was gonna be hks bov and while I was installing it I saw some oil in intercooler tubes on both turbos. I already installed bov but now I’m worried. I’m assuming oil in turbo hoses are not normal. At least to other turbo cars

if I were to get warrantied out on this, would hks bov void the warranty? The purpose was to prolong the life of turbo lol now turbo seems to be leaking oil.... fml

any inputs??

·
Registered
207 Posts
I’m assuming oil in turbo hoses are not normal.

if I were to get warrantied out on this, would hks bov void the warranty? The purpose was to prolong the life of turbo lol now turbo seems to be leaking oil.... fml
Remove the blow-off valves and take it to the dealership. I know my local dealership would not cause a stink, but most dealerships are difficult when it comes to mods. Just make your life easier and remove them before taking it in.

Congrats on the 2017 model year; you have the old turbo part number that has known issues with the seal. New turbo part numbers supposedly have a fixed turbo seal design/part that should eliminate or minimize the oil leak issue.

Feel free to read the Consolidated 3.0T turbo replacement thread over at infinitiq50.org.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah it was pain in the ass to install one and pain to take them off. Maybe I’ll just take off the bov only and take it to the dealer. Thank you for the tip I didn’t know there was an improved version

·
Registered
6 Posts
Oh
Remove the blow-off valves and take it to the dealership. I know my local dealership would not cause a stink, but most dealerships are difficult when it comes to mods. Just make your life easier and remove them before taking it in.

Congrats on the 2017 model year; you have the old turbo part number that has known issues with the seal. New turbo part numbers supposedly have a fixed turbo seal design/part that should eliminate or minimize the oil leak issue.

Feel free to read the Consolidated 3.0T turbo replacement thread over at infinitiq50.org.
oh **** ..! My is 2017 3.0 premium model too !! I havent had and mod yet except for the muffler deleted!! Should I be concerned and have the dealer check!? The car already paid off and it’s mine ..lol

·
Registered
207 Posts
oh **** ..! My is 2017 3.0 premium model too !! I havent had and mod yet except for the muffler deleted!! Should I be concerned and have the dealer check!? The car already paid off and it’s mine ..lol
Before the original warranty expires, I would express concern to the dealership and have them inspect while the vehicle is still under warranty; until that point, I would not worry about it unless issues arise.

Reactions: Choier

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Before the original warranty expires, I would express concern to the dealership and have them inspect while the vehicle is still under warranty; until that point, I would not worry about it unless issues arise.
So I’d assume intercooler tube with smudging oil is definitely not normal and should take it to the dealer, right? I don’t have any symptoms

·
Registered
207 Posts
So I’d assume intercooler tube with smudging oil is definitely not normal and should take it to the dealer, right? I don’t have any symptoms
If you see oil or coolant inside the turbo housing or the intake tube leading to the turbo, that is a sign of problems.

·
Registered
6 Posts
That’s definitely a good idea !! I am almost due for the oil change and will express that to the dealer and have them check !! Thanks for the put in !!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Let me get this straight . I'm kinda slow . This is actually from a oil seal and not blowby from crankcase or maybe a combo issue ? I have a 2017 premium model .

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

That black tube there when I took that off there was oil all over that tube. Blow off valve had a little bit of oil too( only had bov for 2 days)

putting stock things back in right now so I can take it to the dealer on Wednesday

·
Super Moderator
2,828 Posts
Where do you work at? Let me get my car in there haha

·
Registered
8 Posts
Where do you work at? Let me get my car in there haha
Sewell Infiniti of Dallas. I would love to! Hopefully you get a technician that will suggest replacing both at the same time. And if you have any aftermarket upgrades done, you might not even have to go through the trouble of removing them. Ultimately, the decision is up to the technician servicing your vehicle. If you get a stickler he can try to deny the warranty claim due to the upgrade. But i think most techs will look past it because turbo replacements are a pretty well paying job and I know I wouldnt want to lose it.

·
Registered
768 Posts
But i think most techs will look past it because turbo replacements are a pretty well paying job and I know I wouldnt want to lose it.
And... based on historical reporting on both the Q50 & Q60 forums, the pre-2019 turbos have a history of oil seal issues on totally stock VR30s. It's not like moderately-higher boost levels, i.e., from a JB4 or tune, is the factor in causing oil seal leakage. It appears to be simply a bad seal material or design that can fail at stock boost levels.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I emailed the pics to the dealership and they got back to me said thier ordering new turbos and may take a monthto get in . That was easy . :)
you didn’t even have to go in?! Sheeshhh I’m about to email my tech some pics. I took off my turbo coupler. And there is a little oil. I really don’t want to take my bovs off. Mostly because I’m lazy. And part 2. There couldn’t be any possible way they would blame my bovs on the turbos going bad?

1 - 20 of 49 Posts