Infiniti Q60 Forums banner

Q60RS Heavier Than Q50RS?

19K views 32 replies 12 participants last post by  Jayce 
#1 ·
How is this possible?

Q50 Red Sport 400 @ 3,853 lbs
Q60 Red Sport 400 @ 3,862 lbs

Wheelbase 112.2 inches for both.

I'm really going to be pissed if a sedan walks away from me at a traffic light. :mad:

#6 · (Edited)
The coupe has always been heavier than the sedan, and yes, the sedan has been a tad bit faster as well if all things being equal (mostly a driver's race and auto vs manual). If you remember, the G37 coupe was tuned to 330 hp (Z was 332) as compared to sedan's 327hp.

IDK if that is the case for the turbo'd engines yet. There has not been a full test by the major car mags to conclude.

It has something to do with the reinforced two doors.

#14 ·
It is all the metal they use when the weld the back doors shut.

#16 ·
... I don't know where my mind went with that...

9 lbs isn't a lot, but just to make sure you'll have to find a Q50 red sport 400 and race them. Maybe their nose will be a quarter of an inch ahead of the Q60 in a dead sprint from a stop, but the difference is so minimal.

#18 ·
The extra weight is due to our coupes missing the middle B pillar which the sedans have between the doors. That requires the coupes to have a stiffer chassis which adds weight. You can feel how much heavier the doors are on our Q60s. Would not surprise me at all if the Q50s were a tad faster, but I'll take the Q60s sexier exterior any day over the Q50.

#19 ·
On the bright side, people driving 4-door Sedans are (probably?) statistically more likely to have a passenger inside than someone driving a Coupe...so there goes any weight advantage they'd have should you ever have to line up next to a Q50 RS 400 at a light...and if they have AWD and you have RWD...even better. :D

#24 ·
AWD is just so much better in day-to-day rl handling scenarios than RWD it isn't even funny... You can floor it in the rain and traction control won't even blink, you can floor it in a hard left turn across traffic to make it through a tiny hole and not even screech the tires. RWD is for marginally better gas mileage and "LOL I HAS THEORETICALLY BEST PERFORMANCE" bragging rights, AWD stomps it everywhere else (source I had RWD 2014 Q60 IPL and have a AWD 2017 Q60 RS, and it does things that 2014 couldn't have dreamed of even with runflats)

#26 ·
Lose 9 lbs :p

Reactions: Bevo
#33 ·
I think overall, AWD is amazing to have...just pure grip for days.

That said, here in the Bay Area where we get like a couple months out of the year with barely light showers and very rarely get notable storms in the same timeframe but once every like...20 years like this year...it's always going to be RWD for me. :)

If I lived anywhere else, i'd probably go AWD though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.