Infiniti Q60 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I remote started the car (2017 Q60RS, 7900km) yesterday for a quick trip to the grocery store, and on the drive there it felt as if the turbos were "off".

I drive easy when the engine is cold (winter up here), but half way there it was obvious something was wrong...
Instead of the normal acceleration when the turbos spool up, there was literally no extra acceleration at all and the car was louder than usual. Actually sounded exactly as if I had a cold air intake (loud and deep)...
After shopping, on the drive home everything was back to normal.

Anyone else ever had this? Lol
With my DAS steering shake, engine rattle and now this, just glad I am leasing the thing :rolleyes:

Bringing the car in on the 17th for the ECM reprogramming recall, but I doubt I will get any answers...

·
Super Moderator
2,103 Posts
I think there is a valve that engages a few seconds into start-up that diverts the exhaust gas through the turbo compressors. I wonder if that valve got stuck (ice build-up, etc) and since the logic is programmed for it to switch over only around start-up, it never switched over until it reset (at next start-up).

·
Super Moderator
2,103 Posts
I'd also check all the hoses/piping and make sure it is properly seated and sealed. Maybe throw on some sealant since the combination of head/cold can cause issues if the seal wasn't set properly and since your car seems to be a proverbial "Friday" or "Monday" car.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your input testrage.
Yeah, I'll just tell the dealership about it and see if they can find anything when I take it in for the ECM recall...

Sadly I am not attached to this q60rs and really couldn't care less if something happens to it... I am leasing it from them so I'll let them deal with it.
If they say nothing is wrong and the engine blows up, not my problem :) All I can say for sure is that I won't be buying it out at the end of the lease.

I had an 08 G37S with 70000km before this (bought out in 2012) and it was a real gem. Kind of miss that car now and then.

p.s. Attached ECM recall letter if anyone is interested...

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,103 Posts
Sadly I am not attached to this q60rs and really couldn't care less if something happens to it... I am leasing it from them so I'll let them deal with it.
If they say nothing is wrong and the engine blows up, not my problem :) All I can say for sure is that I won't be buying it out at the end of the lease.
Honestly, I don't blame you. I'd feel the same if I'd leased or bought a faulty product. The thing though is you don't have to live with it. You could potentially lemon law it and get a replacement Q60RS that you can actually rely on and that is trouble free.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
3,211 Posts
I always let my car idle 2 minutes for a cold start. In just over a year of ownership it runs like a champ before and after the ECM reprogram.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I always let my car idle 2 minutes for a cold start. In just over a year of ownership it runs like a champ before and after the ECM reprogram.
I usually do as well, remote start it a few minutes before leaving.

I have the "send data to Infiniti" thing enabled.
Wonder if they will be able to pull anything up from my "faulty" ride last Sunday?

Have not had the turbo problem since, so leaning towards testrage's locked valve theory rather than a loose pipe (which would have been audible and recurring I think)...
Will report back if it happens again or if they find anything.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Came back from service, they did not find anything wrong and think it might have been a "computer glitch"...

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
3,211 Posts
Came back from service, they did not find anything wrong and think it might have been a "computer glitch"...
I make sure I keep the electrons at the proper level :D

·
Registered
159 Posts
That's really odd. I haven't felt any issues on my end and I'm dealing with anywhere from -5 to -45 C with the wind.

I can't imagine it would be something to do with the cold.

Were you driving in Tip Tronic or Automatic? I know my previous G and this car sometimes sucks if its between gears or something that you press the gas lightly (10-25%) while in automatic. However, that's a winter and summer thing.

How far was your gas pedal pressed when you noticed this lack of acceleration? like 25%, 50%, 75%

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
3,211 Posts
That's really odd. I haven't felt any issues on my end and I'm dealing with anywhere from -5 to -45 C with the wind.

Were you driving in Tip Tronic or Automatic? I know my previous G and this car sometimes sucks if its between gears or something that you press the gas lightly (10-25%) while in automatic. However, that's a winter and summer thing.

How far was your gas pedal pressed when you noticed this lack of acceleration? like 25%, 50%, 75%
On cold start up the electronic waste gate actuators are open and the turbos are bypassed for around 25 seconds. That's why the Sport Exhaust Kit is so loud at that time as the turbos act as mufflers. From his description it sounds like the electronic waste gate actuators never closed.
A new electronic wastegate actuator allows closer control of exhaust gas flow away from the turbocharger, restricting the amount of exhaust gas flowing through the unit to improve overall engine efficiency.
https://www.infinitiusa.com/now/news-and-events/twin-turbo-v6-engine

Reactions: testrage

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Happened again today... Parked on the side of the road to switch engine off and it was fine after restart.
Was about 3c out, remote started and only waited about a minute or 2 before driving this time.

I take it very easy when the engine is cold, drive down a hill from my place to a round about, then back up a hill...
This is where I noticed it at first both times, accelerator maybe 25% pressed and in automatic + standard drive mode.
My wife was with me this time, so I did switch to manual after, crawling up the hill at maybe 50-60% throttle until I found a safe place to park :eek:

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
3,211 Posts
Happened again today... Parked on the side of the road to switch engine off and it was fine after restart.
Was about 3c out, remote started and only waited about a minute or 2 before driving this time.

I take it very easy when the engine is cold, drive down a hill from my place to a round about, then back up a hill...
This is where I noticed it at first both times, accelerator maybe 25% pressed and in automatic + standard drive mode.
My wife was with me this time, so I did switch to manual after, crawling up the hill at maybe 50-60% throttle until I found a safe place to park :eek:
If your dealership can't figure it out, shoot a video the next time it happens and play it back for them. Obviously your car needs to be fixed. You're the only member that's posted this issue.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If your dealership can't figure it out, shoot a video the next time it happens and play it back for them. Obviously your car needs to be fixed. You're the only member that's posted this issue.
I'll try that... Was also thinking I should drive to the dealership next time and leave the engine running so they can test drive.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Happened again today...
Drove like that to the dealership, had a mechanic drive with me to show the problem. Going in on the 16th which is earliest for a longer term loaner...

This time I drove in second gear and floored it, absolutely no power at all (felt like a 75hp car).
Switched engine off to show the guy that fixes it, but it didn't. So that rules out anything with remote starting the thing...
Restarted a second time and it was fixed.

I'll keep everyone posted on the outcome...

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
3,211 Posts
Switched engine off to show the guy that fixes it, but it didn't. So that rules out anything with remote starting the thing...
Yeah, starting remotely shouldn't make any difference.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Happened again today...
Drove like that to the dealership, had a mechanic drive with me to show the problem. Going in on the 16th which is earliest for a longer term loaner...

This time I drove in second gear and floored it, absolutely no power at all (felt like a 75hp car).

I'll keep everyone posted on the outcome...
Curious what became of this?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts