Infiniti Q60 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I know this has been discussed before, but I thought I would add my experience to the mix. I have 3 issues with the driver's seat in my 2017 Q60 RS400 w/Red leather. First you can see in the attached pic. Discoloration on several spots. Second is the other day I grabbed the handle on the top of the seat to flip it forward and the entire handle/button assembly detached and lifted out of the seat. Third is along the bottom of the back about under the lumbar support area there is a spring or piece of metal (feels like) pressing outward against the leather. This has already cause a small piece of the outward layer of the leather to separate. If you look in the pic near where the seat and backrest meet you can just see it.

Also the other day I pulled up on the rocker switch for the passenger window in the driver's door and about a 1/8-1/4 inch piece of the chrome laminate on the top edge of the backside of the button peeled off/broke.

And last but not least, the other day while I had the car up on a rack having the custom cat-back installed I noticed it a leak. Seems to be coming from the seal where the half-shaft enters the differential on the drivers side.

I hope this is all the warranty work I will need. I got the car used about a month ago. Only had 8950 miles when I got it. Has about 10,500 on it now. I had less issues with my 08 G37S in the 150,000 I had on it when I traded it in.

Attachments

·
Registered
441 Posts
I have the stone white interior on my Iridium blue Q60 that I purchased used with 43k miles and it had the exact same tears and rips in the same place. Fortunately one good thing that came out of my recent accident was that I got a NEW drivers side seat out of it, due to the extensive damage the air bag deployments caused.

Typically I wouldn't even get such a light seat color but needless to say, NO ball point pens, sharp objects allowed in there. The material seems a bit TOO soft and fragile. But it's beautiful. I really wanted the red seats though, but didn't get a Red sport.

With the "fresh start" I'm torn between three products.

1. Per the Infiniti dealer I picked up Griots Leather condirioner (3 in 1).

2. My Dad just swore by Leather Milk. I've learned to trust dear old Dad's advice.

3. I have used Meguiers Leather wipes and cleaner, which is what my daughter who used to be an auto detailer used when she was in the business.

In fact, maybe it's not even mutually exclusive here? Maybe keep the Meguiers wipes on hand for quick clean ups, and then clean the interior with the Leather Milk and then condition it with the Griots periodically?

Really trying to prevent the same typenot damage from occurring this time around. Would appreciate some advice on this.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
From the research Ive done on the issue with the discoloration, I don't think any conditioning product is going to have much of and effect either way. I come across one guy in Australia how had the exact same issue Im having on his after just 4500KM. Infiniti replaced his seat only to have the same thing happen to the new seat after 2500KM more. Seems to be an issue with the dye/leather quality more than anything.

·
Super Moderator
3,119 Posts
From the research Ive done on the issue with the discoloration, I don't think any conditioning product is going to have much of and effect either way. I come across one guy in Australia how had the exact same issue Im having on his after just 4500KM. Infiniti replaced his seat only to have the same thing happen to the new seat after 2500KM more. Seems to be an issue with the dye/leather quality more than anything.
That's wear from entering and exiting the vehicle. I've got a preset seat position where the seat back is reclined so I don't rub against the side bolster when I enter and exit the vehicle.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's wear from entering and exiting the vehicle. I've got a preset seat position where the seat back is reclined so I don't rub against the side bolster when I enter and exit the vehicle.
If that's wear , it's a pretty crappy grade of leather. This isn't my first Infiniti with leather. My last one showed no discoloration after 150,000 miles. I'm pretty sure my egress and ingress style didn't radically change in my last 1000 miles of driving. ;)

I could see it being wear if the surface showed signs of damage, but it doesn't. This is strictly an issue of the dye being gone in those spots.

·
Super Moderator
3,119 Posts
If that's wear , it's a pretty crappy grade of leather. This isn't my first Infiniti with leather. My last one showed no discoloration after 150,000 miles. I'm pretty sure my egress and ingress style didn't radically change in my last 1000 miles of driving. ;)

I could see it being wear if the surface showed signs of damage, but it doesn't. This is strictly an issue of the dye being gone in those spots.
Yours is not the first red leather to suffer this on the side bolster. It's from clothes rubbing against the leather. I have leather race suites. Same thing happens when the back of my helmets rub against the speed humps.

Attachments

·
Registered
56 Posts
I agree completely. They've replaced my seat covers TWICE (driver and passenger) and I have 31K miles on my '17 Sport. I condition my seats with Meguiar's Leather Wipes twice a month and I noticed a tiny spot on my passenger side seat. I love the car (the red leather seats were the deciding factor) but it is frustrating to deal with this - knowing it will get worse with age.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I got an update from the dealer. Seems this is the second time for this seat as well. Service record says the original owner has already had this seat cover replaced for the same issue. So twice in under 10,800 miles for this car.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Happened to me as well. Dealer replaced the leather recently after going after corporate for a year. (dealer i got it from did not want to deal with it when I reported it at 10k miles, so found a dealer closer by with better service and mod friendly!) Good news is the new leather seems more sturdy and feels more like bmw's leather. Seems they caught onto this problem, but if the problem comes back then I might as well look into aftermarket options lol other than this and the water pump & belt being replaced it is a great car/platform. I do see it lasting a long time if properly taken care of.

·
Registered
220 Posts
My black leather seat has a discoloration, almost like a wear mark (except much thinner--maybe 3/4 of a centimeter), in a spot on the side that I should not rub against while getting in and out. Also, my steering wheel has a section that is ripping to pieces--at about "7 o'clock to 7:30"--where I absolutely have never placed my hands or made contact with.

At my next oil change, I will be pointing out both. Very, very disappointing, as my other two cars are 11 and 12 years old respectively with 10 times and 6 times as much mileage respectively, and their leather seats and wheels are in perfect condition -- not even any dry cracking or stretching.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Dealer replaced my leather (for the second time in this car), fixed the handle that flips the seat up, replaced the passenger window switch in the driver door, and replaced the driver side seal in the differential. All good.
I added a carbon fiber spoiler I got off eBay. And now it’s at a shop getting the front bumper, hood, mirrors, a-pillars, and headlights clear vinyl coated. After that I should get to drive it for more than a few hours without another shop having it.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So here we are, months later and back to the same issue again. Almost the exact same wear/dye gone on the bolster on the drivers seat again. It actually started to show signs of wear 2 weeks after they installed the new leather last time. Per Bevo's suggestion above I even set the #2 memory setting on the seat to all the way back to try and minimize the rubbing on it. No help. So here is what Im thinking now. I'm thinking about having the front seats changed to black. If you've ever seen the Monaco Red interior its black dash, black wheel and steering column, black sections on the doors, red sections and light carbon on the doors, red center console, black carpet. So what I would end up with is black front seats and still the red rear. Opinions? Thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
3,119 Posts
So here we are, months later and back to the same issue again. Almost the exact same wear/dye gone on the bolster on the drivers seat again. It actually started to show signs of wear 2 weeks after they installed the new leather last time. Per Bevo's suggestion above I even set the #2 memory setting on the seat to all the way back to try and minimize the rubbing on it. No help. So here is what Im thinking now. I'm thinking about having the front seats changed to black. If you've ever seen the Monaco Red interior its black dash, black wheel and steering column, black sections on the doors, red sections and light carbon on the doors, red center console, black carpet. So what I would end up with is black front seats and still the red rear. Opinions? Thoughts?
That sucks. I'm very careful about not rubbing the side bolster on entry and exit by placing my hands on the seat and using my arms to support me.

·
Registered
56 Posts
My first Q60 was white/red leather, and the dealership replaced my driver's side seat cover twice (once at 12K, second at 28K), and passenger's side once (30K - I had about 45K miles when I returned the lease). I knew they wouldn't keep doing it so I ended up buying some leather dye from seatdoctors.com to use to repair small leather discolorations I had between 35K-45K miles. I used a red permanent marker to use as the base and used the dye to cover the spot. It looked like it had never been affected. I currently have a blue/white Q60 and I decided to get seat covers that I use during the cold weather months, as I wear jeans and clothing that would wear the bolsters. Not the best idea, but my seats look new and the seat covers match the car almost perfectly.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts