Infiniti Q60 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Premium Member
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
*This is a replacement thread for my Photobucket failure on my original thread "Stillen Intake Issue Resolved".

So before I get into the weeds on this, please note that while the following resolved all my throttle jerkiness for me I make no promises that this will solve it for everyone (okay I kinda do, but don't come crying if it doesn't).

So we all know too well that the Stillen CAI kit has given most Red Sport owners that lovely little jerk when releasing the throttle at low RPM. I read most of the posts on FB and the Q50 forums and tried the MAF orientation idea to no avail and even fabricated some heat shield for experimentation to no change really. So I decided I'd set out on an adventure to try to answer the riddle to our jerky woes. One day when starring down into the depth of the engine bay I noticed that on the passenger side's intake the transition tube connecting the Stillen MAF tube and the turbo inlet was binding from needing to bend with filter attached, so I pulled the passenger side and started to compare the Stillen transition tube to the stock intake tubing.

As you can see from the side perspective the Stillen tube almost matches the length of the stock tubing. However when you compare both from the top, the issue presents itself.

Reactions: Bevo Horn

·
Premium Member
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
That issue is the fact that the stock intake tubing has TWO angles where the Stillen tube has only ONE! The 30 degree bend on the stock tube's 2" end isn't just by chance, it's there because the offset of the inlet in relation to the filter housing mount area demands it be there, plus there's a cluster of wiring right in front of the turbo inlet that requires the bend to avoid it. So I proceeded to fashion my OWN tubing solution.

Quick name drop for those who want to know, but SiliconeIntakes.com is where I purchased most of the components and their products are absolutely great. My final solution incorporated some parts from TurboHoses.com, but that's more of a bonus step I threw in there for myself to improve line angles.

Materials for Passenger Side Intake Tubing From SiliconeIntakes.com:
1x 90 degree Silicone Reducer 2.5" to 2.0"
1x 2" 30 degree elbow
1x Stainless Steel Joiner, 2"
2x T-Bolt clamps for 2" Silicone Parts
2x Dual Cone Air Filters, 2.5" Inlets

Materials from TurboHoses.com (optional):

2x 60 degree transition tubes 2" to 2.5"

·
Premium Member
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So first I cut the 30 and 90 degree tubing to closely match the stock intake tubes oreintation, and used the Joiner to connect the two pieces.

Two pieces compared to stock intake:

Then I attached the 30 degree section to the turbo inlet like so:

Wider view:

·
Premium Member
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Now here's the part I didn't take pictures of, but after attaching the 90 degree section and MAF tube one thing became clear....The K&N filters Stillen provided would be too tall. So I bought a number of different filters.

From Left to Right: Airaid 700-540, SiliconeIntakes Dual-Cone, K&N RX-4950 (Stillen Supplied)

So as you can see the KN filter's flange is crazy long. If you want to go the cheaper route, you can trim the flange down an inch on the passenger side's filter and it will fit just fine albeit a bit tight under the filter cover (tested). The Airaid's work great and are a fine filter with a really easy fit for this, but ultimately SiliconeIntakes.com's filter won in all categories. Plus their price tag is AWESOME! Love the inverted inner section look.

So it's really important to note that with the 90-30 degree combo on the passenger side only and a filter set to match this solves the problem COMPLETELY. But of course I didn't stop there :D
Enter in the TurboHoses.com 60 degree transition tubes.

Passenger Side (attached to 30 degree elbow):

Driver Side:

Now these tubes allowed me to fit the SiliconeIntakes.com filters. And they really are gorgeous looking, almost hated to cover them up.

And BAM all done and NO JERK!!! ZERO NONE NADA! And all the spool sound I could want :D:D:DThe only things I reused from the Stillen CAI kit was the MAF housing tubes, the tube bands on the turbo inlets and filter flanges and the filter covers, everything else is all ME!

·
Premium Member
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So conclusion as to why this fixed the jerkiness? My working theory is that the binding passenger side tube Stillen provides with the kit is just simply inadequate on the RS. Why then does this seemingly occur on the RS models mostly? My guess is there's a difference in engine vacuum which effects the partially collapsed tube when you let off the gas which introduces a restriction in air flow and thus the jerk. Honestly though all crazy assumptions and ideas aside, all I care about is my solution fixed it for me. +1 LoganB, -10 Stillen!!! Not trying to bash on Stillen tho (eat it Stillen I win you owe me a partial refund!!), but I think in trying to maximize air flow and minimize flow restriction due to turns, they failed to consider and test the effects of the this with a binding soft tube.

Now I'm sure everyone wants to moan about having to spend MORE money to fix Stillen's CAI setup, but just consider what I'm suggesting as the bare minimum stuff you need.

1x 90 degree Silicone Reducer 2.5" to 2.0" = $20
1x 2" 30 degree elbow = $17
1x Stainless Steel Joiner, 2" = $8
2x T-Bolt clamps for 2" Silicone Parts = $6
2x Dual Cone Air Filters, 2.5" Inlets = $30

TOTAL = $81

The 90 degree reducer might be able to be left out and you probably could use the 45 degree tube from Stillen, just trim it down.

Also worth noting that for the passenger side, don't be surprise by how snug the cover is in regards to the new filter height and dimensions.

Well that's it! I really hope this helps some of yall out and let me know if you give it a go cause I'd love to know all this helped at least SOMEONE other than me!!

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
3,698 Posts
Nice, now clean that filthy carpet on the stairs :laugh:

·
Premium Member
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nice, now clean that filthy carpet on the stairs :laugh:
Haha I was waiting for someone to call that out. They always get filthy thanks to the workshop in the basement.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Boy, Stillen really rushed their design out the door. Makes me wonder if they have any Mechanical Engineers working for them. Does anyone think they will make it right to all those customers who have spent $500 on this tossed together CAI? I doubt it

·
Premium Member
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Boy, Stillen really rushed their design out the door. Makes me wonder if they have any Mechanical Engineers working for them. Does anyone think they will make it right to all those customers who have spent $500 on this tossed together CAI? I doubt it
I doubt they'll make it right purely because not everyone experiences this jerk issue, which probably gives them a certain amount of plausible deniability. They'll probably do a subtle kit revamp behind the scenes and no one will be the wiser. All things being equal their approach DOES actually have less air resistance due to the single angle approach versus say a 2 angle approach like I did here. It just seems like that was where they kinda stopped designing and started selling. It also could just be a QA issue with the silicone tubes they include where the angle is off a tad?

I will admit for $500 I'd expect more from them.

·
Registered
33 Posts
LoganB good work on figuring out the problem and applying some elbow grease to figure out a workaround. Personally I wouldn't keep anything Stillen in my car at this point, thats almost a $600+ intake with the fix.

This is what happens when you rush production and put out a subpar product.

Youd think with all the dynos and turbo research their page has on the new VR30DDTT engine they would realize their mistake, but no. Charging $500 for roughly $100 in parts is ridiculous as well.

Burger Tuning will be coming out with a kit soon which seems to avoid these problems and will cost less.

·
Premium Member
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
LoganB good work on figuring out the problem and applying some elbow grease to figure out a workaround. Personally I wouldn't keep anything Stillen in my car at this point, thats almost a $600+ intake with the fix.
Yup, thanks for kicking in my teeth more on that fact :crying:

It does make me think tho that if one simply found some universal MAF tubes (their out there) and spent a little time fabbing a cover, one technically could build there own entirely and save a few hundred bones. The only part that would be a pain is the crankcase vacuum line connection, but it could be done. But since I'd ponied up the dough for the Stillen, I might as well use the parts that I can reuse!

Reactions: Coahman

·
Registered
244 Posts
Nice job dude, this is amazing!!!

I have to say this makes my wait worth it, definitely not going with Stillen for anything moving forward on my RS...$500 and still have to basically customize your own tubing to correct Stillen's issues?? Lol, noooooo thanks. :p

·
Premium Member
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well, take heart in the fact that this thread has made you famous on the interwebs :D

I've seen this thread copied into multiple forums and the fb group as well.
That's awesome, I hope it helps people out or maybe inspires somebody to fabricate a full kit. I really wanna see someone masterfully craft a set of custom filter covers!

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm sure everyone wants to moan about having to spend MORE money to fix Stillen's CAI setup, but just consider what I'm suggesting as the bare minimum stuff you need.

1x 90 degree Silicone Reducer 2.5" to 2.0" = $20
1x 2" 30 degree elbow = $17
1x Stainless Steel Joiner, 2" = $8
2x T-Bolt clamps for 2" Silicone Parts = $6
2x Dual Cone Air Filters, 2.5" Inlets = $30
I thought I could live with the stuttering/jerking/lurching due to the Stillen Intake on my Q50 RS... but nope... just ordered these parts! Thanks for posting this, @LoganB.

·
Premium Member
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I thought I could live with the stuttering/jerking/lurching due to the Stillen Intake on my Q50 RS... but nope... just ordered these parts! Thanks for posting this, @LoganB.
Happy to offer a workaround. If you find the passenger side fit with the 90 degree reducer tube is too tight in relation to the cover don't be afraid to trim to fit. I found that I preferred the tight fit because it force the cover to sit higher and thus mate with the air duct completely.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts