Infiniti Q60 Forums banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Read Only
343 Posts
I stay around 0.9 bar daily its safe at that (for me at least being a little more conservative lately) but people are certainly pushing higher.

·
Registered
2017 Q60 Red Sport AWD
1,649 Posts
18.8 tune 1.3 bar that is what I was thinking but with issues happening lately I’m a little worried. Your tune 91, 92, or 93 octane?
Red Sport w/93 Octane.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
18.8 tune 1.3 bar that is what I was thinking but with issues happening lately I’m a little worried. Your tune 91, 92, or 93 octane?
93 pump gas from Shell almost every time.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Thanks guys for the info... I’ll pass along some as well....Infiniti and Nissan will be using the VR 3.0 motor more in upcoming new models... I’m sure they will work the bugs out as based on what I’m seeing the VR is going to be the new VQ. Already public knowledge is Japanese Q50 Spring 2020 will now be using the VR30tt previously only used in the US & Canada. There is no doubt they have big plans for this motor. This can only be a good thing working out issues and having affordable parts in the near future.

·
Registered
54 Posts
First, HELLZ YES! Glad things went well and you got it covered under warranty!

I've been using 0w-20 on both Qs since I've had them. Bracket Race with them occasionally, and have not really had any problems.
Only time I've had oil related issue is when I over filled slightly. The car kept throwing camshaft codes and going into limp mode.
Not saying everyone who uses 5w-30 is wrong, just giving you my experience.

I would think Infiniti would be able to give you probable cause of the failure?

Updated tune files with map switching are awesome though. My car is always on stock map unless it is night time, or cooler than 85 degrees outside lol

So now after speaking with a pretty knowledgable individual, I've started to consider another possible cause of the knock.

I live in Florida, change my oil every 4-5k miles, and use Mobil 1 synthetic 0W-20. I was told that when modifying these cars, especially since they have turbos, the viscosity of the oil we're using will decrease a significant amount because of the added heat, thus making the life of the oil drop faster. Therefore, it's much wiser to use a heavier weight oil like 5W-30 to prevent the issues I had, especially since I live in a much hotter climate.

That's probably not rocket science to our local experts, but I don't pretend to know dick about cars and engines so this is all new to me.

What do you guys think? Is that more probable than the tune causing the problem?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've had my 2017 Q60 Premium for 3 years/36,000 miles. I've had Fast Intentions CBE and full catted Downpipes, HKS BOVs, AMS intakes and heat exchanger, and an ECUtek tune from Z1 Motorsports (19psi if I remember correctly). The tune has been on the car for just under a year (at approx 26k miles). I change the oil every 5k miles and don't beat the h3ll out of my car. It's my daily so I want to make it last. I've only REALLY pushed it maybe 4 or 5 times to race someone, but I never track it.

About 2 months ago, a couple days after I just changed the oil, I was leaving my neighborhood. As I was accelerating normally I felt something slip, almost like the transmission missed a beat. Then the car immediately went into limp mode. I pull over and do the normal Microsoft repair procedure; turn on and off. That's when the car started squealing. At first I thought it was a belt, since that's a known issue, but it kept getting worse.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=12WSuwR15PPdhL2ZJWNH8ITFVQBEEFKW3

I limped home, and every time I started the car after that it kept getting worse and worse; louder and louder. I made the mistake of asking the Facebook groups what they thought it was and then proceeded to have severe anxiety because everyone gave me the worst case scenario (for a change, they were right). I talked to some knowledgeable car friends and my shop and they all agreed that it was rod knock.

Second engine start: https://drive.google.com/open?id=11v6dGUku6ZnKtwUPFunnL8kn6mXAe8Rt

Fourth start: https://drive.google.com/open?id=125NvX1QfUB9k8x_KClENkaLGY1I4cvoB

So, off the modes went, and I flashed the ECM back to stock. I left the intakes, hx, air suspsension, brakes, and all of my aesthetic mods on when I brought it into Infiniti of Mobile. Side note: if you didn't know, if your car is still under warranty Infiniti will tow it to the dealer for free. My service advisor asked what the issue was and how it came about. I told her exactly what I said in the second paragraph. She really didn't deep dive into the problem at all. I warned her about the air suspension, so she saw the car was obviously modded, from the exterior at least, before I left with a QX80 loaner vehicle. I was living with total anxiety for next two weeks until I got a phone call from the SA. She said that they had sent pictures of the exhaust into Infiniti as well as ECM data, and Infiniti was asking for documentation of what work I had done to the exhaust. I was shocked at first because I had no clue how they possibly could've known. However, when I had a shop replace my OEM parts, I forgot that I did not bring them the OEM bolts so they had to use aftermarket ones. The rep at corporate saw that in the pictures and knew that something had been done. Naturally, I was freaked out, even though I knew there was no way that a CBE could cause rod knock. I wanted to get a read on the service advisor since I couldn't really pull one from her on our initial meeting, so I drove all the way to the dealer (it's 70mi) from my house. Of course, it was her day off, but the master tech who was working on my car was there. We spoke for about 45 minutes, and I only got a neutral vibe from him. He essentially said that he wasn't going to lie to Infiniti to help me out. I don't blame him since he didn't know me from Adam. He obviously knew that there was much more done to my car, especially since he looked where the exhaust met the cats (I trashed my heat shields doing installation of my DPs). I didn't think he told Infiniti anything more than what they asked for though. However, he said that this specific dealer had been highlighted for having a high number of warranty claims done, so they were trying to limit future claims. That didn't make sense to me, but also made me nervous because a fellow forum member also had his car in for service for a turbo warranty claim. He also brought his car in with all of the same mods I had, AND the tune still on. The tech said that they've never done an engine replacement before, and since Infiniti's motors are built so well, he would be surprised if they covered it especially since it's a $20k warranty ticket versus a $4k ticket for turbos, which are a known issue anyway. He still said it might be a 50/50 chance though. He said that the main bearings in cylinder 4 and 5 were completely destroyed.

Went home, sent in the invoice from Fast Intentions, and waited in turmoil. Three days later, the SA called the tell me that Infiniti had agreed to cover the replacement under warranty! Holy Sh1t, right? I'm one lucky S.O.B. In around two more weeks, they should have it finished.

Just wanted to share to keep everyone updated with how these cars are holding up. I'm still trying to determine what exactly caused this. I'm leaning heavily towards the tune, and how it was tuned. That's a whole other story in itself. I think my lesson "learned" from this is you get what you pay for, so I'll be using AMS next time. I say "learned" because going the cheaper route has burned me before and for some reason I continue to do it lol.
I've had my 2017 Q60 Premium for 3 years/36,000 miles. I've had Fast Intentions CBE and full catted Downpipes, HKS BOVs, AMS intakes and heat exchanger, and an ECUtek tune from Z1 Motorsports (19psi if I remember correctly). The tune has been on the car for just under a year (at approx 26k miles). I change the oil every 5k miles and don't beat the h3ll out of my car. It's my daily so I want to make it last. I've only REALLY pushed it maybe 4 or 5 times to race someone, but I never track it.

About 2 months ago, a couple days after I just changed the oil, I was leaving my neighborhood. As I was accelerating normally I felt something slip, almost like the transmission missed a beat. Then the car immediately went into limp mode. I pull over and do the normal Microsoft repair procedure; turn on and off. That's when the car started squealing. At first I thought it was a belt, since that's a known issue, but it kept getting worse.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=12WSuwR15PPdhL2ZJWNH8ITFVQBEEFKW3

I limped home, and every time I started the car after that it kept getting worse and worse; louder and louder. I made the mistake of asking the Facebook groups what they thought it was and then proceeded to have severe anxiety because everyone gave me the worst case scenario (for a change, they were right). I talked to some knowledgeable car friends and my shop and they all agreed that it was rod knock.

Second engine start: https://drive.google.com/open?id=11v6dGUku6ZnKtwUPFunnL8kn6mXAe8Rt

Fourth start: https://drive.google.com/open?id=125NvX1QfUB9k8x_KClENkaLGY1I4cvoB

So, off the modes went, and I flashed the ECM back to stock. I left the intakes, hx, air suspsension, brakes, and all of my aesthetic mods on when I brought it into Infiniti of Mobile. Side note: if you didn't know, if your car is still under warranty Infiniti will tow it to the dealer for free. My service advisor asked what the issue was and how it came about. I told her exactly what I said in the second paragraph. She really didn't deep dive into the problem at all. I warned her about the air suspension, so she saw the car was obviously modded, from the exterior at least, before I left with a QX80 loaner vehicle. I was living with total anxiety for next two weeks until I got a phone call from the SA. She said that they had sent pictures of the exhaust into Infiniti as well as ECM data, and Infiniti was asking for documentation of what work I had done to the exhaust. I was shocked at first because I had no clue how they possibly could've known. However, when I had a shop replace my OEM parts, I forgot that I did not bring them the OEM bolts so they had to use aftermarket ones. The rep at corporate saw that in the pictures and knew that something had been done. Naturally, I was freaked out, even though I knew there was no way that a CBE could cause rod knock. I wanted to get a read on the service advisor since I couldn't really pull one from her on our initial meeting, so I drove all the way to the dealer (it's 70mi) from my house. Of course, it was her day off, but the master tech who was working on my car was there. We spoke for about 45 minutes, and I only got a neutral vibe from him. He essentially said that he wasn't going to lie to Infiniti to help me out. I don't blame him since he didn't know me from Adam. He obviously knew that there was much more done to my car, especially since he looked where the exhaust met the cats (I trashed my heat shields doing installation of my DPs). I didn't think he told Infiniti anything more than what they asked for though. However, he said that this specific dealer had been highlighted for having a high number of warranty claims done, so they were trying to limit future claims. That didn't make sense to me, but also made me nervous because a fellow forum member also had his car in for service for a turbo warranty claim. He also brought his car in with all of the same mods I had, AND the tune still on. The tech said that they've never done an engine replacement before, and since Infiniti's motors are built so well, he would be surprised if they covered it especially since it's a $20k warranty ticket versus a $4k ticket for turbos, which are a known issue anyway. He still said it might be a 50/50 chance though. He said that the main bearings in cylinder 4 and 5 were completely destroyed.

Went home, sent in the invoice from Fast Intentions, and waited in turmoil. Three days later, the SA called the tell me that Infiniti had agreed to cover the replacement under warranty! Holy Sh1t, right? I'm one lucky S.O.B. In around two more weeks, they should have it finished.

Just wanted to share to keep everyone updated with how these cars are holding up. I'm still trying to determine what exactly caused this. I'm leaning heavily towards the tune, and how it was tuned. That's a whole other story in itself. I think my lesson "learned" from this is you get what you pay for, so I'll be using AMS next time. I say "learned" because going the cheaper route has burned me before and for some reason I continue to do it lol.
My q60 only had 60miles & I already experienced rod knock out of no where completely had to change my enegine my self because the dealer didn't want to cover me because I had it tuned befor .. I always check my oil levels & keep my car running good .. yes I have mods intakes/heat exchanger/ blow valves/ exhaust system & tune by specialtyZ .. I took it to unique Motorsport in Rancho Cucamonga who specializes in VQ's & he told me that he stays getting customers who come in with q60 with rod Knocks .. telling me that those engines are no good, of course I got all emotional because I love my q60 & take care of it like my baby .. I had to buy a use engine with 9k so hopefully it doesn't happen again .

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
My q60 only had 60miles & I already experienced rod knock out of no where completely had to change my enegine my self because the dealer didn't want to cover me because I had it tuned befor .. I always check my oil levels & keep my car running good .. yes I have mods intakes/heat exchanger/ blow valves/ exhaust system & tune by specialtyZ .. I took it to unique Motorsport in Rancho Cucamonga who specializes in VQ's & he told me that he stays getting customers who come in with q60 with rod Knocks .. telling me that those engines are no good, of course I got all emotional because I love my q60 & take care of it like my baby .. I had to buy a use engine with 9k so hopefully it doesn't happen again .
Saying they're "no good" is an over-generalization. That guy is a fool. How much did that whole experience cost you? Did you not go back to stock when you took the car back?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Saying they're "no good" is an over-generalization. That guy is a fool. How much did that whole experience cost you? Did you not go back to stock when you took the car back?
Like David Copperfield, he disappeared :).. lol

Spyderman i also live in Central Florida and use 5W30 as well. In the hottest months, August switch over to 5W40 Valvoline as well. My car is FBO.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts