Infiniti Q60 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
So... I just washed my car and it may sit in the garage for a few weeks due to wet salty roads, its winter time. My driveway and the street i live on is FULL of salt, and the streets are wet. I know i could just do some forward - backward driving with hitting the brakes a few times, but i really don't want to do that.... I'm looking for a way to have it not leave the garage. How long can i let the car sit in the garage and not drive (i.e. use the brakes) and let the rotors get a little rusty after the car wash?? I dont want to damage the rotors/brakes.

·
Super Moderator
3,123 Posts
Use a hair dryer to dry the rotors

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Use a hair dryer to dry the rotors
thanks for the reply Bevo. I washed my car yesterday and the rotors are already dry. How long can i let the car sit in the garage and not drive (i.e. use the brakes) and let the rotors get a little rusty after the car wash?? I dont want to damage the rotors/brakes.

·
Super Moderator
3,123 Posts
thanks for the reply Bevo. I washed my car yesterday and the rotors are already dry. How long can i let the car sit in the garage and not drive (i.e. use the brakes) and let the rotors get a little rusty after the car wash?? I dont want to damage the rotors/brakes.
It's not any different in Houston when I drive home in the rain and park a wet car in the garage. The rotors are going to build up a thin layer of rust and then the oxidation stops. It's not going to damage anything. Rotors and pads are wear items anyway. Road salt is one thing, rain water is no big deal.

·
Registered
34 Posts
There is no need for concern, rust will not damage the rotors or brakes. You just need to make sure the the pads are not touching the rotors as the rust will create a bond between the two which could cause obvious issues.
My rotors are typically caked after several months of storage & the rust is completely gone after a bit of moderate braking. I typically get a pulsing brake pedal on the Subaru for the first few days but the Infiniti has been hassle free every spring. YMMV

1 - 5 of 5 Posts