Infiniti Q60 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What MB technology are they going to miss out on exactly?
I don't know about technology, but I imagine this greatly affects the future QX30 platform planning.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Wait, does that mean they can't use the MFA2 platform even though it seems like they've already developed it?
Sounds about right it seems..

Nissan (7201.T) decided in October its premium Infiniti brand would not use "MFA2", an upgraded Daimler (DAIGn.DE) car platform that the companies have jointly funded, in part because Infiniti was not performing well enough to absorb Mercedes technology costs, the sources said
Nissan has now ditched plans to use the updated Mercedes platform for successors to those models planned for Aguascalientes, the sources said - or for any future Infinitis. Other cancellations include a compact Mercedes-based Infiniti Q40 sedan earmarked for the plant in 2018.

·
Registered
231 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Sounds like Infiniti won't use Mercedes’ MFA2 platform, but the collaboration is still holding strong. So if they're still working together, wonder what platform they'll be coming out with for future Infiniti models instead of the MFA2.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
One of the interesting nugget out of this news is the confirmed (but officially unconfirmed) plans to re-introduce the Q40 nameplate. Sans the G37, it looked as if the Q40 was to be re-introduced using the bespoke MFA2 platform.

Now, I wonder how this will impact the Q40 project going forward...I will propose tapping in the Mitsubishi side of the house to reinvigorate a Q40 (Lancer Evo) collaboration.

·
Super Moderator
2,121 Posts
One of the interesting nugget out of this news is the confirmed (but officially unconfirmed) plans to re-introduce the Q40 nameplate. Sans the G37, it looked as if the Q40 was to be re-introduced using the bespoke MFA2 platform.

Now, I wonder how this will impact the Q40 project going forward...I will propose tapping in the Mitsubishi side of the house to reinvigorate a Q40 (Lancer Evo) collaboration.
I wonder if they won't go all electric like the Leaf for a Q40 type vehicle. This would allow them to share the new Leaf platform with Infiniti as well which spreads out their costs and makes an all electric vehicle with 200-300miles/charge (give or take) even more attractive.

The Leaf could be sub-30k and the Infiniti version sub-40k to take on the Bolt & Model 3...:nerd:

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I wonder if they won't go all electric like the Leaf for a Q40 type vehicle. This would allow them to share the new Leaf platform with Infiniti as well which spreads out their costs and makes an all electric vehicle with 200-300miles/charge (give or take) even more attractive.

The Leaf could be sub-30k and the Infiniti version sub-40k to take on the Bolt & Model 3...:nerd:
Could very well be.

However, Mr. Kruger is on record that the performance EV will be here first, in 2020:

Infiniti Electric Performance Car Coming in 2020

·
Registered
591 Posts
So far Nissan only has the Leaf on the streets and it's not exactly performance. I guess if we are to see a performance Infiniti electric vehicle, it'll share a platform with the Nissan IDS Concept which may not be a concept by 2020.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts