Infiniti Q60 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Curious what the spare tire in the RWD RS is all about. Looks like there's only room for a donut under the carpet in the trunk.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
3,698 Posts
There is no spare. You get run-flats. I pulled the trunk apart on mine, and there is a depression for a spare, but it's got two metal blocks on either side so a spare will no longer fit. Those blocks may be added for structural strength. Not sure. TireRack.com only has one set of tires for the RWD model (Dunlop). Looks like it's hard to find rear run-flats in the OEM size right now.

·
Registered
479 Posts
It was my impression that the RWD RS400 is the only one that comes with conventional summer tires and included a spare donut tire kit? I thought that all other versions came with the run flat tires?

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
3,698 Posts
It was my impression that the RWD RS400 is the only one that comes with conventional summer tires and included a spare donut tire kit? I thought that all other versions came with the run flat tires?
Yeah, the Infiniti website is confusing. There's no place in my RWD trunk for a compact spare, plus the car came with an inflation repair kit with sealant. No jack, just a lug wrench.

·
Premium Member
329 Posts
Yeah, the Infiniti website is confusing. There's no place in my RWD trunk for a compact spare, plus the car came with an inflation repair kit with sealant. No jack, just a lug wrench.

I just had my sales rep take my jack out of my G37 I traded in and give it to me for the RS.

Reactions: Bevo Horn

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
3,698 Posts
I was misinformed. The RWD Red Sport DOES NOT HAVE RUN-FLAT TIRES. Stopped by a tire store today and they checked the OEM Bridestones as not being run-flats. That's why we have the Emergency Tire Puncture Repair Kit instead of a compact spare.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Supposedly, the RS400 RWD has conventional summer tires (with the sealant and air pump kit) and EVERYTHING else has Run Flats. Pricey ones, that have less than rave reviews on some tire websites. No spares, no jacks.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow. That got confusing quickly.

Am I understanding that RWD RS400 models, which come with standard tires, are equips with only a repair kit? No spare? Not even a donut, which there appears to be a place for?

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
3,698 Posts
Wow. That got confusing quickly.

Am I understanding that RWD RS400 models, which come with standard tires, are equips with only a repair kit? No spare? Not even a donut, which there appears to be a place for?
There used to be a place for the spare, but now on the right and left side of the depression in the floor of the trunk where a spare would go, are two metal boxes about the size of bricks welded in place. I assume they were added to strengthen the structure of the body, but there is no longer a space for the spare tire unless you just have one sitting loose in your trunk.

Infiniti included a supplement to the owners manual that specifically instructs the owner on how to use the repair kit. It also states to check the expiration date on the sealant before you attempt to repair a punctured tire.

The kit is a small compressor and about a quart of sealant. You screw the bottle of sealant onto the compressor and it pumps the sealant into the flat tire and inflates it.

·
Registered
479 Posts
There used to be a place for the spare, but now on the right and left side of the depression in the floor of the trunk where a spare would go, are two metal boxes about the size of bricks welded in place. I assume they were added to strengthen the structure of the body, but there is no longer a space for the spare tire unless you just have one sitting loose in your trunk.

Infiniti included a supplement to the owners manual that specifically instructs the owner on how to use the repair kit. It also states to check the expiration date on the sealant before you attempt to repair a punctured tire.

The kit is a small compressor and about a quart of sealant. You screw the bottle of sealant onto the compressor and it pumps the sealant into the flat tire and inflates it.
Thanks for explaining that. I was thinking sense the RWD RS came with conventional tires that it had a jack and spare tire. Not sure how I feel about the sealant and compressor kit. Especially sense I had planned to to swap the run flats for conventional tires, once they ware out.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
3,698 Posts
Thanks for explaining that. I was thinking sense the RWD RS came with conventional tires that it had a jack and spare tire. Not sure how I feel about the sealant and compressor kit. Especially sense I had planned to to swap the run flats for conventional tires, once they ware out.
Yeah, I need to check the expiration date on my sealant so I'll know when to replace it.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
3,698 Posts
I asked about a compact spare at Discount Tire yesterday. Since the car is not in their database yet, they said it would be tricky to try to figure one out. The issue on the front is clearing that giant brake caliper. The issue on the rear is the offset of the wheel center line.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I asked about a compact spare at Discount Tire yesterday. Since the car is not in their database yet, they said it would be tricky to try to figure one out. The issue on the front is clearing that giant brake caliper. The issue on the rear is the offset of the wheel center line.
I'm not too concerned with the sizing, as I am sure that there will be tires that will work on the car, but more concerned with where the spare will go in the trunk, sense there is not a spot to secure it down. Can't just have a spare tire sliding around in the back of the car,lol.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
3,698 Posts
I'm not too concerned with the sizing, as I am sure that there will be tires that will work on the car, but more concerned with where the spare will go in the trunk, sense there is not a spot to secure it down. Can't just have a spare tire sliding around in the back of the car,lol.
If I get a spare, I'll just keep it in the garage when I'm driving around town. If I go out of town I'll just have to throw it in the trunk and fold the rear seat down for any luggage. Trust me, the spare will not fit under the Cargo Mat

·
Registered
189 Posts
How about the 'World Road Rallye' look, strapped to the roof of the car???

Reactions: Bevo Horn

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
3,698 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
RWD v. RWD spare tires

My understanding is:

RWD does NOT have run-flats and has a spare tire

AWD DOES have run-flats and has NO spare tire.

~~~~

RWD tires are asymmetric from front to rear, with rear tire being slightly larger

AWD tires are symmetrical -- 245/R19 on my AWD RS

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
3,698 Posts
My understanding is:

RWD does NOT have run-flats and has a spare tire

AWD DOES have run-flats and has NO spare tire.

~~~~

RWD tires are asymmetric from front to rear, with rear tire being slightly larger

AWD tires are symmetrical -- 245/R19 on my AWD RS
If you can find a spare tire, or a place specifically designed to store a spare in my 2017 RWD Q60 Red Sport 400, I'll sign the title over to you.

This is what comes in the RWD

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
3,698 Posts
1 - 20 of 41 Posts