Infiniti Q60 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here in southern California, RWDs can be found everywhere. For obvious reasons, its a bit harder to come by an AWD (especially for the exact spec youre looking for). Yesterday, I test drove the RWD RS400 to see how it would hold up off the line and around a corner. As imagined, off the line, the tires on the RWD chirped when I smashed the throttle before the car could gain traction. Furthermore, around a corner, the tail end broke loose while I tried to make the turn with some gas.

I have yet to test an AWD and so I wanted to come to the forum to ask, has anyone test driven both the RWD and AWD RS400 and noticed a difference off the line and around corners with the AWD? Personally, I enjoy being able to take corners hard as well as having great launches off the line. However, if the AWD isnt that much better in those scenarios, It wouldnt really make sense for me to purchase an AWD.

If you guys can chime in with experience, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
2,121 Posts
I test drove both but was always planning on getting the AWD version. The AWD version has not had any traction issues for me either at launch, WOt during mixed driving, or coming out of a corner.

The RWD version would probably work just as well (despite being lighter) if it had better rubber. The rfs suck (to put it mildly).

·
Registered
159 Posts
As the RWD version isn't available for me to even special order (I asked), I haven't tried it, so I can't really compare.

However, based on my AWD version, which I've always had traction control off. I can also make the AWD version lose traction quite easily. Even if I pin it around a yield, I can feel the rear kick out a tad. Obviously, launches would be a tad better with AWD. but being in Cali, do you really need AWD? The AWD version from what I understand and can generally feel is heavily RWD biases and sometimes only RWD unless it needs the AWD.

I'd agree with testrage that a RWD Q60 with Pilot Super Sports would make a huge difference on traction, especially if you decide to go with a wider setup. ****, even the Q50 Silver Sport loaner I had was easy to make it lose traction because the RF's suck.

Your call, but I'd personally go RWD with better tires.

Reactions: Q602B

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I test drove both but was always planning on getting the AWD version. The AWD version has not had any traction issues for me either at launch, WOt during mixed driving, or coming out of a corner..
This^.

I agree - I have yet to say "Gee, I should have got the RWD version." With the rear (open) differential, having the two fronts pulling the car forward really makes up for the limits of the RFTs, allows you to get closer to the traction limit without getting squirrely, and it understeers predictably. I am happy with the acceleration, too.

https://youtu.be/05zgkblZ76w

I don't see straight-line performace drop-off on wet roads - Bonus!

·
Registered
327 Posts
I think it's kind of a given that the AWD would hold up better off the line and through corners and turns. Now given that (I don't think) it's a complete 50/50 split, you'll still have a way of getting the back end to give a little, but it'll obviously be less than a full RWD setup.

·
Registered
244 Posts
RWD needs better tires....the stock Bridgestone Potenza Summer Performance tires are merely adequate, but nothing special....waiting patiently until mine wear out so i can replace both the wheels and tires. :p

·
Registered
72 Posts
There is a Youtube video comparing the RWD vs. AWD. It's around 20 minutes and is from Infiniti of Tacoma. It shows actual driving footage. I'm not sure if it is the Red Sport or not.

It looks like a big difference to me. The RWD slides on sharp turns and when launching from a stop. The AWD was pretty planted.

Also, a lot of other video reviews mention that the 0-60 time of the RWD is slower due to traction issues off of the line and when transitioning to 2nd gear. With this car, especially the Red Sport, I'd get the AWD regardless of climate.

If you go with the RWD, I agree with others that high performance summer tires are a necessity. This car is under-tired, but it's not a huge issue with the AWD. I can feel it get a little squishy when cornering fast. However, when you consider the cost of changing over your Run Flats to something like a Pilot Sport, you might be getting close to the $2000 AWD price point differential.

Another issue to consider, the summer tires will ride significantly harsher. This car already has a firm suspension; even in the lowest Dynamic Digital Suspension setting. I leave it in Standard, as Sport Mode is just too harsh for me as a daily driver.

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I think that youtube video mentioned above was in the rain.At least the video I saw comparing the RWD to AWD was in the rain.

Was hoping to read more love on here for the RWD optionbecause:

Back when I was optioning out my car infinitiofusa showedyou could order optional black and silver wheels for the RS400 but only if youordered RWD due to offset. I was on the fence with the AWD, really didn’t likethe stock wheels, so I went with RWD and the wheels I wanted. When the car camein the dealer said the wheels would not fit over the larger brakes of the RS400so I was left stuck with the wheels I didn’t want, and RWD.

This was a mistake on infinitiofusa’s web site. Now, youcannot choose those black and silver wheels when you choose the RS400 but backin October when I ordered the car you could. It’s pretty messed up such a basicdetail like this was shown in error on infinitiofusa’s site. It cost me a driveoption I would have otherwise gone with had I known up front.

I guess I have to enjoy fish tailing now andavoid drag racing other Red Sports that are AWD. At least I’ll have my exhaustin June

·
Registered
90 Posts
I had a 2014 RWD Q60 IPL then a 2017 AWD Q60RS, granted they're not identical but they're close enough to compare knowing my driving environment, and esp since the RWD was actually lower power than the AWD I can say for sure that the higher power AWD can take much harder turns and take offs than the lower power RWD ever could, esp coming out of the subdivision onto the 50MPH 2 lane road I have to get on to get out of here, the RWD would chirp doing a hard left and traction control would kick in if I went too hard and stall the merge slightly, neither chirping nor traction control stalls happen with AWD, actually I've not felt traction control kick in at all for AWD yet for too much power. There's not even a little competition between the two if the roads are wet, you can floor AWD in the rain and accelerate as hard as when it's dry.

If you drive a 400HP coupe as if it's a 150HP family sedan then RWD and AWD are functionally the same, if you drive the 400HP coupe like a bright red sports car you will definitely notice the difference. RWD might give you better track stats and mildly better gas mileage but AWD gives a noticeable real world performance boost for (aggressive) daily driving.

I'm in the south for the record, ice and snow are extremely rare here so this is just my comparison for around town driving on dry and slightly wet pavement, I had to special order the AWD to get it here as the never stock them.

·
Registered
30 Posts
The other thing to consider is if you are planning on modifying. Adding another 50 whp for example would be adding to the RWD traction problem while AWD probably won't have much issue with it.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
The other thing to consider is if you are planning on modifying. Adding another 50 whp for example would be adding to the RWD traction problem while AWD probably won't have much issue with it.

And, in addition to some hp mods, reducing the unsprung weight with, for example, lighter 2-piece rotors and a lighter wheel/tire package, which will make it easier to spin-up the drivetrain, AWD will have a further advantage over RWD under all conditions.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wow! Thanks for all the in depth responses everyone. I think that for what I am after (best possible traction off the line and being able to take sharp turns without the tail end coming out), the AWD is the way to go. From what I've read, people arent too fond of the tires on the AWD. Would I be able to throw on some Michelin PSSs (245/40/19 front and 275/35/19 rear) on the stock RS400 rims? I currently have those sizes on my stock G37 19's at the moment.

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
So here in southern California, RWDs can be found everywhere. For obvious reasons, its a bit harder to come by an AWD (especially for the exact spec youre looking for). Yesterday, I test drove the RWD RS400 to see how it would hold up off the line and around a corner. As imagined, off the line, the tires on the RWD chirped when I smashed the throttle before the car could gain traction. Furthermore, around a corner, the tail end broke loose while I tried to make the turn with some gas.

I have yet to test an AWD and so I wanted to come to the forum to ask, has anyone test driven both the RWD and AWD RS400 and noticed a difference off the line and around corners with the AWD? Personally, I enjoy being able to take corners hard as well as having great launches off the line. However, if the AWD isnt that much better in those scenarios, It wouldnt really make sense for me to purchase an AWD.

Hey Tomro,
First off I wanted to say I've been trying to respond to your PM but I don't have enough posts yet lol.

2nd, I love the AWD feel and for like 2500 more I think its a good price for the system.

My goal is to get around 700-800 WHP so thats why I wanted AWD, its totally up to you and what your plan is for the car.

off the line, I feel like AWD its always be better than RWD.

Thanks,
Marco

·
Registered
63 Posts

Funny that you're having the same type of issue that I was having except I was looking out for an RS RWD variant here in the Northeast where AWD is all you see out on the road. Luckily for me, I was able to find one about an hour away from where I live with virtually the exact color combo (Graphite/w red) and options (Premium Plus and Driver Assist) that I desired. I also did test drive a Red Sport AWD though it was a Q50, and I agree with what most have already said with respect to traction and such...but for me it came down to RWD since I've never owned one, as all of my past vehicles have either been FWD/AWD. That said, I do have a winter beater, so in inclement weather there is no need to drive the Q.

Anyway, best of luck with your journey.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I chose the RWD over AWD for a number of reasons;

* The weight ratio front to rear is more offset with AWD. You want as close to 50/50 balance as much as possible according to the experts. I was looking at a M4 seriously versus the Q60 and you don't see Beemer M Series purist offering it.

* The Weight of the car goes up with AWD versus RWD

* Turning Ratio is less with AWD versus RWD

* Height of the vehicle is higher with AWD versus RWD

* Replace the tires with Continentals and you will get much better traction.

* I live in the North East and had to special order my RWD. Every vehicle on the lot was AWD.

* I came from a G35 and the zero to 60 stats were best with RWD but I have been corrected on this by someone before in this forum.

* I have had to replace axels on my two previous vehicles (IS 250 and Land Cruiser) both AWD, around the six year mark so for me another reason.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I chose the RWD over AWD for a number of reasons;

* The weight ratio front to rear is more offset with AWD. You want as close to 50/50 balance as much as possible according to the experts. I was looking at a M4 seriously versus the Q60 and you don't see Beemer M Series purist offering it.

* The Weight of the car goes up with AWD versus RWD

* Turning Ratio is less with AWD versus RWD

* Height of the vehicle is higher with AWD versus RWD

* Replace the tires with Continentals and you will get much better traction.

* I live in the North East and had to special order my RWD. Every vehicle on the lot was AWD.

* I came from a G35 and the zero to 60 stats were best with RWD but I have been corrected on this by someone before in this forum.

* I have had to replace axels on my two previous vehicles (IS 250 and Land Cruiser) both AWD, around the six year mark so for me another reason.
Yea, you did touch on a few additional points that drove me towards a RWD over AWD. In particular the appearance, I plan on doing no modding to the suspension/wheels, so the lower ride height and staggered setup was important factor.

Btw, what do you plan on doing in the winter? Do you have a winter beater or are you going with a winter wheel/tire package for the Q?

Also, how long did you have to wait on a special order?? I was told by my local dealership that it would be "several months," luckily I ended up finding one at a close by dealership in stock with the exact build that I was looking for.

·
Registered
33 Posts
My opinion may not count, as as I have always been a RWD drive pilot. AWD to me has always felt much like skidding down a neighborhood street in a soapbox derby. Very little connection with car, or road. Ugh.
Test drove the Mercedes AMG C63, Audi Quatros, Lexus RCF, etc prior to my RS400 RWD purchase. The AWD experiences did not change my archaic opinions re AWD. I will always curse the insane Stop/start stupido electronic feature that has been forced on many buyers too? (Not, for moi!).

I had to do an extensive search to find a non-AWD-non-DAS RS Red coupe. AWD adds weight, and more wear to the suspension & tire issues down the road of life? I also don't have the
nasty run flats as well.

As others have said, the weakness in the top-o'the-line RWD RS400 is the sucky tires. They DO suck! And, will be replaced after more miles (Only have 3+k miles on my car so far).

I basically drive challenging curvy roads. Mostly dry, except for small rocks/gravel in the roadway. Drunk drivers without insurance and license, and the usual plethora of brain-dead-texters. All of the "snow" appears in some "other form(s)".

So far, very satisfied with my RS400, without AWD, DAS & run flats.

AWD vs RWD, etc, etc? Depends on the pilot? And where they're driving?

Attachments

·
Registered
430 Posts
Yea, you did touch on a few additional points that drove me towards a RWD over AWD. In particular the appearance, I plan on doing no modding to the suspension/wheels, so the lower ride height and staggered setup was important factor.

Btw, what do you plan on doing in the winter? Do you have a winter beater or are you going with a winter wheel/tire package for the Q?

Also, how long did you have to wait on a special order?? I was told by my local dealership that it would be "several months," luckily I ended up finding one at a close by dealership in stock with the exact build that I was looking for.
We don't get a lot of snow normally here in the Washington DC area plus I always did well with my G35 Coupe RWD. As far as the order it was special only because this area gets all AWD. So it was like any order versus finding one in some far off place. It took four months (October - February) which was normal from what I heard from others. I also heard they stopped production and are working on the 2018 tweaked model so any order could take longer.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
We don't get a lot of snow normally here in the Washington DC area plus I always did well with my G35 Coupe RWD. As far as the order it was special only because this area gets all AWD. So it was like any order versus finding one in some far off place. It took four months (October - February) which was normal from what I heard from others. I also heard they stopped production and are working on the 2018 tweaked model so any order could take longer.
Infiniti stopped production on the AWD?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts