Infiniti Q60 Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I posted last month about looking into a solution for the useless top screen of my Q60 (my vehicle does not have nav, so yes, the top screen is pretty much wasted space in my car). Before doing anything extensive or spending a bunch of money on one of those android modules we've seen on youtube that work on the Q50s, I decided to just try out mirroring my phone's screen first to the top display since this was a quick and cheap way to at least make some use of modern technology in the car.

If you've poked your head under the center console, you're probably already aware that the car's only video input is the old school yellow RCA composite video. Also your emergency brake has to be set if the engine is turned on in order for video to be displayed unless you install a bypass (more on that in a minute).

I used a mini HDMI to RCA converter off ebay ($10) along with a wireless miracast hdmi dongle which doesn't require wifi or hotspot or anything to cast to ($50), and then connected my Galaxy S7. If you have an iPhone there's a similar way to do this using a lightning adapter. Additionally, in order to get the video input to display while the car is actually moving (which was one of the main reasons for doing this so I could mirror my phone's navigation/waze to the top screen), there's a vendor who sells a video in-motion bypass for about $200, and I'd also need an RCA audio out to 3.5mm audio input to get sound to play. Instead of acquiring those two additional items right away, I thought I'd check out how screen mirroring looks on the car while stationary first.

I've attached pics below of the end result, and it's pretty bad in my opinion. I was expecting a noticeable downgrade when going from an HDMI display to RCA, but the screen resolution on the top screen is also low on top of that, meaning the video quality comes out kind of ugly.

When holding my phone upright to navigate through it, the image comes out so narrow that it's more difficult to see it on the car screen than it is to simply look at my own phone, which sucks. You might not be able to tell from the photos how bad it looks because I held the camera close to the top screen to capture the image close, but when you're sitting back in your seat and trying to look at this little strip on the screen, it's just painful.

Also, for some stupid reason, Infiniti has two black bars that run down the top screen which cuts off the left and right sides of whatever you display in the car, and there's no way to change the display to a widescreen mode to fit the entire image/video (which you'll notice on the two pics I took where I had my phone horizontal).

So yeah...to be able to perform screen mirroring from your phone while the car is moving and everything, you're looking at about $300, and you'll need some way to keep your phone horizontal the entire time. The purpose of this for me was to be able to navigate through my phone without actually needing to look at it with my eyes, and that's not going to happen when the screen comes out this small or if you use Siri or S-Voice whatever to get into everything on the phone. I just wasn't impressed enough with what I saw to move forward with this, and it's mostly due to the limitations Inifiniti has placed on this antiquated entertainment system.

Attachments

·
Registered
591 Posts
Good thing you tried it with just the converter before getting the bypass. Holy camoly it's horrible to look at. May as well invest in a dash mount for your mobile phone for navigation instead of trying to get it mirrored.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts