Infiniti Q60 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Q60 Red Sport AWD
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all,

I'm looking to put some snow tires on my new 400 RS AWD and was wondering if anyone had tested out the stock Dunlop SP SPORT 5000 DSST CTTs in the snow yet. I've seen some shaky reviews, so was looking to go full winter vs all season. That said, there are very few options for the stock 255x40xR19s.

- PIRELLI Winter Sottozero, Sottozero Serie II, and Sottozero 3.

So, my questions are

(1) Has anyone taken the stock Dunlops in the snow, and if so, how did they fare?
(2) Any feedback on any of the Pirelly Sottozero options?
(3) Would it make more sense to go to a different size tire (to get more winter tire options), and if so, what size would be best on the stock rim?

Thanks in advance for your input!

·
Registered
298 Posts
The OEM Dunlops are terrible in snow. They are even pretty bad in dry and wet traction as well. I actually had my dealer swap them out for a set of Michelin's before I agreed to purchasing the car.

Anyways, back on subject. Unfortunately, I have not tried either of the ones you mentioned but I have had my fare share with other snow tires.

To start, if it is an option I would bump down to an 18 as well. If not, I would run a 235 or 245 max. In snow a narrow tire does much better than a wide one.

As far as brands. I have tried Blizzaks and wasn't a huge fan. Great snow performance but they handled poorly on dry pavement.

I currently run Michelin X-ICE. Relatively cheap and they handle exceptionally well. They are rated slightly better than all of the Pirelli you mentioned, and slightly cheaper.

·
Registered
2020 Q60 Red Sport AWD
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@Broxx appreciate your thoughts. I was out bombing around in 2-4" this morning with the stocks and was impressed by how well they handled when in Snow Mode. That said, I just came from a RWD G37 so any tire is most likely an upgrade with the AWD. I'm likely going to stick with the stock rims, as I'm leasing for 3 yrs so don't want to have to unload both rims and tires if I decide to upgrade at the end.

I've had Blizzaks on past cars and loved them, but I've heard they have been passed in recent years. The X-ICE have great reviews on TireRack, so I may look into those more. It looks like they have both 245 45 and 245 40 for the 19's. Thinking it may be nice to add some ground clearance with the 45s, but may be a tight fit and mess with turning radius.

Can I ask what size rim/tire you are running on yours?

·
Premium Member
329 Posts
With the Q60RS I can't say I've had a snow day with it yet here in VA, but with the G37 and G35 Conti DWS's were pretty **** decent in snow from my recollection.

·
Registered
298 Posts
@Broxx appreciate your thoughts. I was out bombing around in 2-4" this morning with the stocks and was impressed by how well they handled when in Snow Mode. That said, I just came from a RWD G37 so any tire is most likely an upgrade with the AWD. I'm likely going to stick with the stock rims, as I'm leasing for 3 yrs so don't want to have to unload both rims and tires if I decide to upgrade at the end.

I've had Blizzaks on past cars and loved them, but I've heard they have been passed in recent years. The X-ICE have great reviews on TireRack, so I may look into those more. It looks like they have both 245 45 and 245 40 for the 19's. Thinking it may be nice to add some ground clearance with the 45s, but may be a tight fit and mess with turning radius.

Can I ask what size rim/tire you are running on yours?
I currently have a set on my daily which is a G37 sedan. I do have a spare set from a previous car that is a 245/50/18. I'm debating if I want to buy a set of 18's for them or just sell the tires.

In your case I would run a 245/40/19

With the Q60RS I can't say I've had a snow day with it yet here in VA, but with the G37 and G35 Conti DWS's were pretty **** decent in snow from my recollection.
DWS are amazing all around tires. I would recommend those if you do not plan on going full snow tire.

·
Registered
2020 Q60 Red Sport AWD
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you are going to be driving in real snow I would drop the rims size. I live in Ottawa, Canada and went down to 18s.
@Snikt21 - Do you know the width/offset of the rims you got? What model tire? What size tire?

·
Registered
95 Posts
@Snikt21 - Do you know the width/offset of the rims you got? What model tire? What size tire?

I went with a set of these :

RWCWheels.com | WheelÂ*Â*Collection

I think they look amazing. I debated the gunmetal ones but looking around at other cars now everyone who has black rims in winter looks like they are missing their hubcaps ;)

If you are driving in real snow then I strongly suggest dropping to 18 inch wheels for the added traction. Where I live in Ottawa, Canada it is a must.

For tires , Michelin X-Ice Xi3.

We have had 2 snow storms already including this morning and the car does very well. Not quite as stable as the Audi S4 with Nokian tires I just came out of but still good.

·
Registered
2020 Q60 Red Sport AWD
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I went with a set of these :

RWCWheels.com | WheelÂ*Â*Collection

I think they look amazing. I debated the gunmetal ones but looking around at other cars now everyone who has black rims in winter looks like they are missing their hubcaps ;)

If you are driving in real snow then I strongly suggest dropping to 18 inch wheels for the added traction. Where I live in Ottawa, Canada it is a must.

For tires , Michelin X-Ice Xi3.

We have had 2 snow storms already including this morning and the car does very well. Not quite as stable as the Audi S4 with Nokian tires I just came out of but still good.
@Snikt21 Great find - those are sick. Unfortunately it looks like they don't easily come down to the States from Canada. I emailed both RWC and another dealer up there to see if they ship down here. Their website was one of the few that has any options for 2017; even TireRack has ***ZERO*** wheel options, and the car's been out 2 months!

·
Registered
500 Posts
Friend of mine picked up a set of Hankook Tiger Paw tires and said the braking distance on them before ABS kicks in isn't great at all. If there's anything to look out for in your new winter tires its braking. Not even an AWD system will save you from bad tires coupled with bad road conditions.

Whatever you get make sure to test them to know what its really capable of and not capable of.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts