Infiniti Q60 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have had an Iridium Blue RS400 since January and love it! The one thing I do not like which is making me consider a vehicle change is the lack of a spare. My city is full of construction areas which makes flats not so infrequent.

Recently, I had a flat on a major highway which was caused by debris that left a hole not able to be patched by the kit it comes with so I had to call roadside assistance. After one hour on the phone, roadside could not pinpoint my location and I was asked to call 911 to have them locate me before they could send out assistance. I was not lost and was on a major highway in the city which made no sense to the confusion of my location. They even sent a locator service txt to my cell phone. 4 hours later after i was forced to call 911 to have them provide my location, the tow truck finally arrived. To add to the matter, the tow company almost damaged my front bumper as they were not being careful when loading the vehicle. I had to intervene to avoid damage. Finally, I get to the dealership and the tire is not in stock so more waiting and inconvenience for something as simple as a flat.

I prefer to change my own flat tire and avoid what I just described. Does anyone know if a previous model G37 spare would fit? Are there alternatives spares that would fit? I don't mind having it in the trunk to avoid having to call roadside and waste almost a full day while missing work and risking further damage in the tow. Plus if I had this much trouble in the city, I can only imagine going on a road trip and being in the middle of nowhere.

·
Super Moderator
2,121 Posts
Do you have a RWD or AWD Q60? I'm assuming non runflats and the RWD for now. I believe a regular Nissan spare tire can be used (provided the rolling diameter is close).

From what we've been able to gather, Infiniti welded in some metal blocks into the trunk area which make it impossible to place a spare tire under the trunk mat.

You could leave one in your trunk but it would end up taking valuable floor space. Have you considered a slime kit? The newer ones do not destroy the TPMS sensor from what I've heard but it would probably mean having to replace the tire which you might want to avoid if you are planning on patching the tire.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is a RWD with non runflats. In the case I described the puncture was almost like a slash so no kit would have been able to patch it. When i used the included one, it simply leaked out. One of my concerns is the caliper clearance on using a generic Nissan spare.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
3,698 Posts
Let us know if you find a space saver spare that works. There's no longer a place to mount a spare in the trunk so it will just be loose.

·
Super Moderator
2,121 Posts
It is a RWD with non runflats. In the case I described the puncture was almost like a slash so no kit would have been able to patch it. When i used the included one, it simply leaked out. One of my concerns is the caliper clearance on using a generic Nissan spare.
I wonder if the Maxima gets a spare. I believe they get larger wheels (because "sports car" - a FWD, CVT sports car.../sarcasm) so if they get a spare, you may be able to simply use the Maxima spare.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
3,698 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,121 Posts
I too have an Iridium Blue RS400 RWD (Q50 though) with non runflat tires. I was able to jimmy up a spare tire in the trunk of my car... Read about it here:

Lightweight 20" Staggered 255+295 Continental ExtremeContact Sports - Page 2 - Infiniti Q50 Forum

Not sure if this would work on a Q60, but it is certainly worth a shot.
That is pretty awesome. Any chance you can help OP with the spare you went with so @MrVigg can get one that will work. I'll leave the crafting up a space for the spare to him (??) but this is pretty cool. Thanks for sharing. :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have attached a picture of the spare tire that I had bought from eBay about a month ago.

I have also attached a picture of the potential spare tires that should fit our cars and clear the brakes (145/70R18 spare tire for G37 or 370Z or Q50) by doing a search for:
Q50 Spare Tire
on Ebay.

And yes, i test fitted the spare tire that I received on both the front and rear of my car, and it cleared the brakes. So, I am pretty sure those spare tires from eBay should work on a Q60 RS RWD (but unsure about fitment/placement in the trunk of the Q60).

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
3,698 Posts
I have attached a picture of the spare tire that I had bought from eBay about a month ago.

I have also attached a picture of the potential spare tires that should fit our cars and clear the brakes (145/70R18 spare tire for G37 or 370Z or Q50) by doing a search for:
Q50 Spare Tire
on Ebay.

And yes, i test fitted the spare tire that I received on both the front and rear of my car, and it cleared the brakes. So, I am pretty sure those spare tires from eBay should work on a Q60 RS RWD (but unsure about fitment/placement in the trunk of the Q60).
So if you had to use the 18 inch spare on the rear, wouldn't it be an issue having a 18 inch tire on one side and a 19 inch on the other?

·
Super Moderator
2,121 Posts
So if you had to use the 18 inch spare on the rear, wouldn't it be an issue having a 18 inch tire on one side and a 19 inch on the other?
As long as the rolling diameter between both sides is similar, it should be fine for a few miles (enough to get to a tire shop or for a couple days while waiting on new tires to come in).

As long as it's not like folks down here who seem to have no concerns running a donut on one end and driving at 90mph on the highway while weaving in and out of traffic. :laugh:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I too have an Iridium Blue RS400 RWD (Q50 though) with non runflat tires. I was able to jimmy up a spare tire in the trunk of my car... Read about it here:

Lightweight 20" Staggered 255+295 Continental ExtremeContact Sports - Page 2 - Infiniti Q50 Forum

Not sure if this would work on a Q60, but it is certainly worth a shot.

Great job EngineeredQ50 in retrofitting the spare to your trunk. I'll definitively give this a try. Info much appreciated!

·
Registered
189 Posts
Here is a shot of the famous welded blocks. I was told by the dealer that this was to make the spare level. Hmm. At any rate they offered to put together a spare tire set up but I did not look into it further. They did point out that it would reduce the depth of the trunk by about 6 inches. I doubt very few Infiniti dealers or tire shops have a Dunlop RF in stock. Adventures in motoring.

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
As long as the rolling diameter between both sides is similar, it should be fine for a few miles (enough to get to a tire shop or for a couple days while waiting on new tires to come in).

As long as it's not like folks down here who seem to have no concerns running a donut on one end and driving at 90mph on the highway while weaving in and out of traffic.
Indeed for the similar rolling diameter, testrage. And yes, if you absolutely have to drive on the temporary spare, then try not to drive like a lunatic (lol) and just make sure you get to where you need to go safely, and to then ultimately fix the damaged tire.

Note:

Spare tire: 145/70R18 has a rolling diameter of 25.99 inches.

OEM RS RWD Front Tire: 245/40R40 has a rolling diameter of 26.72 inches.

OEM RS RWD Rear Tire: 265/35R19 has a rolling diameter of 26.30 inches.

As you can see, the difference between rolling diameters are relatively similar (0.73 inches difference in rolling diameter is still considered relatively similar).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just got new tires, got rid of the run flats on my '17 3.0t premium awd; went with the Michelin Pilot Sports A/S+3 255/40r19's. Was wondering if anyone has found any spare tire solutions. I can't find any 18'' spare tire solutions, ebay however is full of 145/80/r17 spares, which would be about a 1inch difference in rolling diameter over the full size rims. My only concern is brake clearance on the from, factory specs say the discs are 12.6'', for a temp spare a 1inch difference in diameter wont be a big deal.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Took the plunge and bought the 145/80R17 wheel off ebay. It fits great on the 3.0T Premium with the 12.6'' front brakes. I couldnt add pics below but there is clearance for the brake caliper, also because of those welded blocks, having the spare and jack in the trunk doesnt leave much room left over for anything else.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
3,698 Posts
Took the plunge and bought the 145/80R17 wheel off ebay. It fits great on the 3.0T Premium with the 12.6'' front brakes. I couldnt add pics below but there is clearance for the brake caliper, also because of those welded blocks, having the spare and jack in the trunk doesnt leave much room left over for anything else.
There's still a cutout for a Nissan scissor jack and tools.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts