Infiniti Q60 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was one of the early adopters of tthe Infiniti "Sport Exhaust" system, and have removed it twice. The first time was because I did not like the loud droning sound. The second time was due to not only the sound but also 2 potential safety concerns. (#2 is a separate thread.)

****** Please read this if you install the Infiniti Sport Exhaust ******

While looking for alternatives to the "Sport Exhaust" otherwise known as a "straight pipe," I was reading thhe installation instructions for the Fast Intentions Q60 exhaust system. I saw a section about wrapping an EVAP line with heat resistant material so as to protect it from the heat of the newly placed exhaust pipe, since the new system runs very close to the EVAP connector. I assume the connector is attatched to a sensor which trips a circuit and lights up a flashing red light when it fails. Quite frankly, I did't even know that the EVAP system was under the passnger side of the trunk. The section of the Fast Intention manual is shown in the first attached figure. With this information I looked at how close the EVAP line was to the EOM exhaust system as well as the Infiniti Sport Exhaust. The second attached figure illustrates that the EVAP connector is no closer than about 3.5 to 4 inches from the exhaust pipe. The third attached figure show a different story for the Sport Exhaust.The EVAP connector is about one quarter inch from the exhaust pipe and often closer since there is a little "wiggle room" in the hanger. I can see why Fast Intentions was concerned. Now I would imagine that both the connector and wire have a certain heat resistance, but I think that anyone installing the Sport Exhaust or any aftermarket exhaust system that mounts the pipes/mufflers/resonators that close to the EVAP connector should consider adding some heat resistant material to insolate the exhaust heat from the EVAP connector and wire. It seems as though Fast Intentions was concerned enough to make it part of their instruction manual.

Attachments

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Sport Exhaust #2 Concern

I am concerned about the practice of changing the position of the decorative exhaust tip on the new Infiniti Sport Exhaust system. I realize that the way the exhaust system is constructed, the end of the exhaust tail pipe should be out past the edge of the lower rear fascia, but loosening the clamp and moving tips further out may not be a wise choice, because i tried it and saw a potential problem inherent in that modification. The way the stock exhaust tip fits onto the exhaust pipe it is a tight slip fit. Anything less than proper stock positioning makes it a very loose slip fit. The keyhole slots on the sides of the exhast tip may leak exhaust gases underneath the vehicle while idling. The first attached figure ilustrates the end of the Infiniti Sport Exhaust without the clamp. The second figure shows the disassembled unit, indicating how much of the end of the pipe is inserted into the decorative tip. The third figure illustrates what happens when you lengthen the tail pipe by moving the tip distally. As you can see the end the the tail pipe is visible in the keyhole conpression slot, thereby acting as leak point. Unless you weld the entire tail pipe with decorative tip together, there is the potential for a exhaust gas leak under your vehicle.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thank you for the information. I just purchase the sport exhaust for my car. After reading this I might just return it. I sure don't have time for headaches.

I would like to hear from the guys that already installed their sport exhaust on the car.

This is a great post, help other weigh out there options.

Thank you

·
Super Moderator
2,121 Posts
This is interesting to hear and concerning. I'm hopeful Infiniti did their due diligence and testing before they released this to market. But it definitely doesn't seem like it from the pics.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
3,698 Posts
I am concerned about the practice of changing the position of the decorative exhaust tip on the new Infiniti Sport Exhaust system. I realize that the way the exhaust system is constructed, the end of the exhaust tail pipe should be out past the edge of the lower rear fascia, but loosening the clamp and moving tips further out may not be a wise choice, because i tried it and saw a potential problem inherent in that modification. The way the stock exhaust tip fits onto the exhaust pipe it is a tight slip fit. Anything less than proper stock positioning makes it a very loose slip fit. The keyhole slots on the sides of the exhast tip may leak exhaust gases underneath the vehicle while idling. The first attached figure ilustrates the end of the Infiniti Sport Exhaust without the clamp. The second figure shows the disassembled unit, indicating how much of the end of the pipe is inserted into the decorative tip. The third figure illustrates what happens when you lengthen the tail pipe by moving the tip distally. As you can see the end the the tail pipe is visible in the keyhole conpression slot, thereby acting as leak point. Unless you weld the entire tail pipe with decorative tip together, there is the potential for a exhaust gas leak under your vehicle.
I have my tips extended just enough so that you can read "INFINITI". The entire keyhole slot overlaps the pipe.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
3,698 Posts
I went ahead and wrapped the EVAP connector and wire myself with some heat shield.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
3,698 Posts
What did you use to do this? I am looking for a specific name or type to buy. Tks!
I just went to Autozone and bought some Heat Sheath Line Sleeving. When I got it home, it wasn't of a large enough diameter to slide over the connector, so I just cut the seams where it was sown together and used zip ties to wrap the wire and connector.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Great idea. If I switch back from the stock to the (original) Sport Exhaust (again), I would probably follow your lead. I am still trying to decide if I want to purchase the newer Sport Exhaust with the Resonators. I not wild about another $600 experiment. It is quite interesting how the "droning complaints" have blossomed recently. It seems like the vibration from the straight exhaust system is magnified by the trunk, not unlike a bass reflex speaker. I tried it for a couple of days again after I removed the straight pipes the first time. I just gave me a headache and made me a little nauseated (like one of the other posts mentioned).

By any chance, do you have a part number for the heat sheath line sleeving?

·
Premium Member
329 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
3,698 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
This also applies to to Sport Muffler exhaust... So the takeaway is don't extend the exhaust tips too far, and wrap the EVAP wires/connector w/ heat shield.
Thanks for bringing it to our attention.

·
Registered
79 Posts
So I just had my sport exhaust with mufflers installed and I stopped to grab some of the heat-shield. I wrapped it myself with two wire-ties the best/tightest I could and it seems like just a small bit of the heat shield it just about touching the exhaust. Is that OK? or will it be OK? I figured its got to be better than being that close to the sensor. I am still amazed that Infiniti is coming out with these exhausts and it seems like they didn't put that much thought behind them. Its a bit disappointing. If it was a total aftermarket item then I could see but usually when the actual car company comes out with it, its solid. This one isn't..

·
Super Moderator
2,121 Posts
This also applies to to Sport Muffler exhaust... So the takeaway is don't extend the exhaust tips too far, and wrap the EVAP wires/connector w/ heat shield.
Thanks for bringing it to our attention.
Or get extensions made for the exhaust tips. I replaced my Infiniti tips with non Infiniti aftermarket exhaust tips. Got a local muffler shop to make some extensions for me for cheap and have been running CF tips for the last week or so. The extensions ran me less than $40 and than included all the work to switch them out and bend the pipes so that they were dead center the way I wanted.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Or get extensions made for the exhaust tips. I replaced my Infiniti tips with non Infiniti aftermarket exhaust tips. Got a local muffler shop to make some extensions for me for cheap and have been running CF tips for the last week or so. The extensions ran me less than $40 and than included all the work to switch them out and bend the pipes so that they were dead center the way I wanted.
how far out do u have them?

·
Registered
85 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,121 Posts
Looks nice. Might even help a bit with the drone from what I've read... I moved my tips further out about 1cm today, essentially as far out as they can go without having this happen (jroymd): http://www.infinitiq60.org/forum/at...-sport-exhaust-1-concern-6_slip_gap1_text.jpg
Yeah that was something my installer was concerned about as well so the extensions bring me some peace of mind.

Bringing this back on topic, I purchased heat shielding for the evap plug/lines and never used it. I haven't actually looked myself but my installer told me that there was plenty of room for the heat to dissipate in the area especially after taking out the stock system. Add the fact that the exhaust gases should be moving quicker through the straight pipes than the stock muffler set up, and I'm thinking the heat in the area should not be as bad. Time will tell I guess. I'm taking her in for her first oil change this Friday. I'll ask the dealership what they think and if they think the heat shield is needed....or I may ask if I can get under the car when it's raised so I can see for myself.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts