Infiniti Q60 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Yeah, that's going to be loud and not necessarily in a good way. I've yet to hear a really pleasing twin-turbo exhaust note. I'd think you need some sort of resonator to mellow out the sound.

The Jaguar F-Type is the gold-standard of great exhaust notes today, but it's supercharged, and they also worked with Ducati extensively to develop a muffler design that developed just the right notes. It also has valves to allow one to quiet things down, when that's more appropriate.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Yeah, that's going to be loud and not necessarily in a good way. I've yet to hear a really pleasing twin-turbo exhaust note. I'd think you need some sort of resonator to mellow out the sound..
I opted for the Fast Intentions Downpipes & Cat-Back exhaust. It has the option for resonators, which is how I ordered it.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I opted for the Fast Intentions Downpipes & Cat-Back exhaust. It has the option for resonators, which is how I ordered it.

I saw FI's YouTube vid of their Dyno testing with just their catback and with both downpipes/cb and the sound is freaking incredible!!!

I'm in Cali so I can't get the downpipes due to emissions but i'm definitely on the fence regarding the catback...I really like the stock RS400 perforated exhaust tips though. :/

Also, Stillen has yet to release their exhaust products for the 2017 Q60 and NISMO I heard were coming out with some as well, so I might give it a few months to see how the competition pans out.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I can't justify spending close to $600 on a muffler delete. Berk Technology may come with something for it as they produce some pretty nice muffler deletes... or possibly even an muffler specialty shop to get it done for much cheaper and it's pretty much the same thing.

I can only imagine the drone that comes with it though.

·
Premium Member
329 Posts
I saw FI's YouTube vid of their Dyno testing with just their catback and with both downpipes/cb and the sound is freaking incredible!!!

I'm in Cali so I can't get the downpipes due to emissions but i'm definitely on the fence regarding the catback...I really like the stock RS400 perforated exhaust tips though. :/

Also, Stillen has yet to release their exhaust products for the 2017 Q60 and NISMO I heard were coming out with some as well, so I might give it a few months to see how the competition pans out.

Honestly, I liked the perforated exhaust tips at first too....until I realized that they collect a soot-like filth at the perforations from the exhaust mixing with moisture and sticking to the metal. All exhaust tips do this but since the stock tips have that extra surface area for the perforations and at a specific angle, it makes it far more noticable and ugly. That's one of the reasons I went the same route as Iridium and ordered the FI catback.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Honestly, I liked the perforated exhaust tips at first too....until I realized that they collect a soot-like filth at the perforations from the exhaust mixing with moisture and sticking to the metal. All exhaust tips do this but since the stock tips have that extra surface area for the perforations and at a specific angle, it makes it far more noticable and ugly. That's one of the reasons I went the same route as Iridium and ordered the FI catback.
I just use chrome polish, and the exhaust tips clean right up. Black powder-coating could be another option. Or just leave them dirty, because they get uniformly black after a while.

·
Registered
244 Posts
That's a very good point regarding the exhaust soot build up....honestly the more I drive my RS400 the less I care about the exhaust tips because the car just sounds much weaker than it should give the power it has....i'm pretty sure once I see my tax refund i'll be pulling the trigger on the FI catback....

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
i'm pretty sure once I see my tax refund i'll be pulling the trigger on the FI catback....

For planning purposes, the lead time on the FI cat-back is 6-8 weeks, since they are fabricated to order. I ordered in late November, and should be receiving it this week. FI requires a 25% down payment when placing the initial order.

·
Registered
500 Posts
One way around that might be to look into some product that will help make it easier to clean that. It might be as simple as some spray or lining we can apply and follow up by spraying with a powerwasher. I bet if you were to check an automotive detailing forum, someone there knows how to get around this.

·
Super Moderator
2,121 Posts
There might be some kind of ceramic coating available like CQuartz or Gtechniq that could be put on the tail pipes. I recently got Gtechniq put on my new wheels and that stuff is all kinds of nasty. We had grease from the lugnuts, tire sealant from the new tires when installing them and dust get on the wheels. All of that stuff just wiped right off with a soft cloth. It was crazy. The Gtechniq was pretty cheap and it supposed to last a number of years.

·
Premium Member
329 Posts
I just use chrome polish, and the exhaust tips clean right up. Black powder-coating could be another option. Or just leave them dirty, because they get uniformly black after a while.
One way around that might be to look into some product that will help make it easier to clean that. It might be as simple as some spray or lining we can apply and follow up by spraying with a powerwasher. I bet if you were to check an automotive detailing forum, someone there knows how to get around this.
There might be some kind of ceramic coating available like CQuartz or Gtechniq that could be put on the tail pipes. I recently got Gtechniq put on my new wheels and that stuff is all kinds of nasty. We had grease from the lugnuts, tire sealant from the new tires when installing them and dust get on the wheels. All of that stuff just wiped right off with a soft cloth. It was crazy. The Gtechniq was pretty cheap and it supposed to last a number of years.
These are all great examples of this forum's crew being actively trying to help others with ideas!

Yea when the soot gets to the point were I can't stand it I just use some chemical guys cleaner with a sacrificial MF towel, then their fine for a week or so. The really thing about the tips is that the soot is just more visually obvious because of the extra surface area of the tips which face rearward. I know this is just a cosmetic issue and I'm OCD about lil things like this. I guess if I wasn't swapping out exhausts I could just cerakote the tips.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Add to that, it always helps to use some Meguiars all metal polish or something along those lines, if you don't have a coating on there, to really bring the shine back and remove some discoloring that may be caused.

·
Registered
137 Posts
For planning purposes, the lead time on the FI cat-back is 6-8 weeks, since they are fabricated to order. I ordered in late November, and should be receiving it this week. FI requires a 25% down payment when placing the initial order.
So you're at just about 8 weeks then? Have you completed full payment and received word that they've shipped? Or just anticipating it will be this week based on time?
I'm just curious, as I ordered mine the first week of December, and am hoping they can stick to that 6-8 week production time.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
So you're at just about 8 weeks then? Have you completed full payment and received word that they've shipped? Or just anticipating it will be this week based on time?
I'm just curious, as I ordered mine the first week of December, and am hoping they can stick to that 6-8 week production time.
Package from Fast Intentions with the Cat-back & DPs arrived this afternoon on my doorstep, only 1 week later than promised. They charged my cc for the balance of the invoice when the package was shipped out.

76 pounds of exhaust hardware :D.

Now I have to schedule some time with my busy gearhead Corvette buddy. He has a drive-on Kwik-lift, which will be more than adequate for removing & installing the exhaust.

Reactions: Qx4Cor and Broxx

·
Premium Member
329 Posts
Package from Fast Intentions with the Cat-back & DPs arrived this afternoon on my doorstep, only 1 week later than promised. They charged my cc for the balance of the invoice when the package was shipped out.

76 pounds of exhaust hardware :D.

Now I have to schedule some time with my busy gearhead Corvette buddy. He has a drive-on Kwik-lift, which will be more than adequate for removing & installing the exhaust.
SO JEALOUS!!!! My estimated delivery is the beginning of March :crying:

You can ask the folks at FI to go ahead and charge the full amount for the catback instead of waiting for charging the remainder at shipping. That's what I did since I'll be at Mardi Gras the week before it ships and I didn't wanna get drunk and mistakenly spend all the money for the exhuast like an idiot.

Reactions: Q602B

·
Registered
175 Posts
SO JEALOUS!!!! My estimated delivery is the beginning of March :crying:

You can ask the folks at FI to go ahead and charge the full amount for the catback instead of waiting for charging the remainder at shipping. That's what I did since I'll be at Mardi Gras the week before it ships and I didn't wanna get drunk and mistakenly spend all the money for the exhuast like an idiot.
Smart, smart man...the benefit from those beads "could" have some additional costs.>:)

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Just wanted to add, for those owners on the fence about the DPs - they replace the the secondary or "pup" cats. The pre-cat or main cat is not affected. The secondary cats were designed to make the VR30DDTT 50-state emissions legal (yes, we're looking at you California). Therefore, except for California, the DPs are OK for the other states.

I found a good diagram showing the main cats on the left, and the "pup" cats on the stock DPs on the right.

·
Registered
244 Posts
@IridiumRS400 - any updates on the FI CBE install?

I'm interested in pulling the trigger for the cat back only (can't get DP in California) but I know FI in the past had been notorious for excessive cabin drone in the 2K RPM range...I definitely am in the camp that the exhaust notes of the VR30DDTT need to be a bit more aggressive and aftermarket exhaust is really the only way to solve that, but I do want my RS400 to maintain some semblance of being a 'luxury' vehicle still by not having to drown my passengers in excessive drone all the time...hopefully with 14" resonated FI was able to mostly eliminate low RPM droning...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts