Infiniti Q60 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased the sport exhaust w/o mufflers about a month ago, but cancelled the order after reading through the forums. I then just purchased the sport exhaust w/ mufflers and it should be arriving on Wednesday. There are some that are saying that the drone is so bad that they need earplugs, and others saying it's not terrible and sounds great.

I'm thrown at this point. I was excited to get an exhaust tone in my RS400 that it should have come with, at least similar to my previous G37S. Will I be that disappointed with this exhaust? This has to be major preference amongst owners I presume, but is the general consensus that Nismo of all outfits couldn't get this right??

·
Registered
81 Posts
Caveat emptor. It sounds like everyone has a different opinion. Let us know your conclusion. It really takes about half an hour to install them yourself. Unfortunately, you need those rear wheel ramps and some way to bend the welded hangers because the exhausts don't quite line up like the original Sport Exhausts did. I used a large vice and a really long, heavy screwdriver to bend the hangers about half an inch toward the outside of the car so the exhaust tailpipes move inward. Luckily the hangers are relatively soft steel.

·
Registered
244 Posts
It's going to be subjective re: cabin drone. The idea of needing earplugs for me is completely ridiculous, to be honest, like...there is no way it's THAT bad...but apparently, one person has had that experience, lol.

My suggestion would be to try it out for yourself and if you don't like it, sell it and go back to stock...it's really the only piece of advice anyone can give you at this point. I've only seen negative feedback regarding this kit from two people on this forum and literally nowhere else, and even then, there are plenty of us here who are really happy with the kit. For instance, some people have the muffler delete/straight pipe kit (not the one with mufflers), and they are totally happy with it, whereas for me, the sound was too obnoxious and it was unbearable in stop and go traffic.

At the moment, there is no exhaust solution for the Q60, whether catback or axle back, that has absolutely ZERO cabin drone at every stage of driving....there is going to be some at one point or another. Sensitivity to drone matters a lot here and only you will be able to figure out what works and doesn't work for you.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Having experience with both the G35S and G37S exhaust, I can say that the Q60 Sport Exhaust w/ Mufflers is quite a bit louder, but has the familiar growl that I missed. Just like jroymd and Jayce said above me, it's going to be subjective. A lot of people are frustrated by the drone, but personally I don't mind it. If it ever starts to bother me or my wife, I'll put some Dynamat in the trunk, but I don't think I'll ever get to that point. The drone did seem to improve after about 150 miles of driving.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
3,698 Posts
Reactions: Znass02 and Coahman

·
Registered
46 Posts
Pretty sure that's due to hearing loss :laugh:
Haha... I think I've definitely been scared away from messing with the exhaust for now. That is until I can actually sit in the car and listen to it for myself. I wish I was as adventurous as some of you.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Hopefully you can find some member located in Toronto that has this setup or even a dealer that maybe has one installed on a car and check it out first before pulling the trigger. It would be the safer route to take, but not too sure if we have any members in Toronto that has the system installed either muffled or straight

·
Registered
1 Posts
Caveat emptor. It sounds like everyone has a different opinion. Let us know your conclusion. It really takes about half an hour to install them yourself. Unfortunately, you need those rear wheel ramps and some way to bend the welded hangers because the exhausts don't quite line up like the original Sport Exhausts did. I used a large vice and a really long, heavy screwdriver to bend the hangers about half an inch toward the outside of the car so the exhaust tailpipes move inward. Luckily the hangers are relatively soft steel.
I was able to install the Sport Exhaust w/ mufflers by myself, without ramps and without any effort bending hangers or modifying anything on the vehicle. It only took about 30 minutes. I found that the rubber bushings and factory headpipe gasket have plenty of play to make adjustments for a near perfect alignment on both sides, at least on the RS 400. Could be a manufacturing tolerance issue on the pipes they sent you -- just wanted to share my experience since I don't think Infiniti intended for bending / modifications to be necessary.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Forestii,

I'm glad that you had a positive installation experience. When I ordered the Sport Exhaust with Mufflers from Sid at Roswell (Gwinnett) Infiniti, he told me that there might be a need for some modification to the hangers, which for me was correct. I initially mounted the exhaust system as delivered, but the rubber mounts were pushed to the side. The tail pipes were off center at the cutout of the rear diffuser. This was not the case for the Sport Exhaust without muffler. Other people on this forum have had the same problem with the newer system. You are probably correct that there is a tolerance issue in the final build of the exhaust system components. I advised the use of the ramps for convenience only. When you drop the stock muffler is easier to get a better picture of the layout and properly torque the nuts, but you certainly can do without it. Also, I advise you to check the proximity of the passenger exhaust to the EVAP line, and apply a shield material if you think it is necessary (as recommended by Fast Intentions). Some installer don't think it is necessary.

·
Registered
45 Posts
i was one of the initial people who complained about the drone on the vehicle - it definitely settled and is a lot more tolerable now
most of the problem is hitting 70-80mph and staying at that speed - 2-2.5k rpm so i just stay out of that part of the band

went to rhode island over the weekend and the trip is 2.5hours each way
had the cruise control on at 60mph hit 35mpg and did not have any drone whatsoever. its all good and i have no regrets.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Forestii,

I'm glad that you had a positive installation experience. When I ordered the Sport Exhaust with Mufflers from Sid at Roswell (Gwinnett) Infiniti, he told me that there might be a need for some modification to the hangers, which for me was correct. I initially mounted the exhaust system as delivered, but the rubber mounts were pushed to the side. The tail pipes were off center at the cutout of the rear diffuser. This was not the case for the Sport Exhaust without muffler. Other people on this forum have had the same problem with the newer system. You are probably correct that there is a tolerance issue in the final build of the exhaust system components. I advised the use of the ramps for convenience only. When you drop the stock muffler is easier to get a better picture of the layout and properly torque the nuts, but you certainly can do without it. Also, I advise you to check the proximity of the passenger exhaust to the EVAP line, and apply a shield material if you think it is necessary (as recommended by Fast Intentions). Some installer don't think it is necessary.
No need to bend the hangers. Each rubber mount side has 3 bolts you can loosen and shift to where you need it to perfectly centre the pipes.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have to say, I am rather unhappy with the sport exhaust on a Q60 Red Sport 400 Launch Edition. The drone is very loud below 2K rpm. It's probably worse on the 3.0 engine. I was expecting a Corvette sound and I got a Ford 250! $950 with installation and I'm seriously thinking of putting the stock exhaust back on. Don't these people test stuff before putting them out?

The other thing that contributed to the mess is that the dealer did not turn the ASC off after installing the sport exhaust. The should at least ask the customer if they want to further amplify the sound of the louder exhaust.

·
Premium Member
472 Posts
I have to say, I am rather unhappy with the sport exhaust on a Q60 Red Sport 400 Launch Edition. The drone is very loud below 2K rpm. It's probably worse on the 3.0 engine. I was expecting a Corvette sound and I got a Ford 250! $950 with installation and I'm seriously thinking of putting the stock exhaust back on. Don't these people test stuff before putting them out?

The other thing that contributed to the mess is that the dealer did not turn the ASC off after installing the sport exhaust. The should at least ask the customer if they want to further amplify the sound of the louder exhaust.
$950 with installation?!?!?!?! My dealershipo charges sub $700 including installation and local sales tax! Ouch!

For drone, please consider this thread here: http://www.infinitiq60.org/forum/intake-exhaust/9914-exhaust-plate-sport-exhaust-muffler.html

There's been some positive feedback so far.

Yes, NISMO tests these things. Difficulty lies with sound being very subjective. Someone who works in a loud factory on a daily basis won't be bothered by such sounds whereas a librarian probably would.

NISMO is discontinuing the muffler kit once stock depletes in favor of a Helmholz redesign in an effort to reduce potential drone. These have a soft ETA of end of December, January some time. They are aware of the fix in the above mentioned thread, but, stated, per their restrictions, can't recommend that fix.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I misspoke, it was $700 for the muffler and $130 for installation. Still, a lot of money for a car that now sounds like a pickup!
I did see the exhaust plate thread and will do the mod this weekend. Fingers crossed!
Thank you for your help!

·
Registered
359 Posts
Just to warn you, removing the plate didn't really change the drone for me, just removed some of the vibrations and rattles that were bothering me. But I don't mind the drone so much.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts