Infiniti Q60 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I previously owned a 2009 Honda Accord EXL-V6. I loved the way it performed and would have bought another had Honda not changed the engine/body configuration. The closest thing I could find to my Honda was an 2018 Infiniti Q60 3.0t Luxe AWD which I now own.

I expected that my Infiniti would have "go cart" steering which equaled or exceeded my Honda. However, it did not (at least not to a significantly appreciable difference).

I changed the steering programing to "sport" and only experienced a slight improvement.

My factory Dunlop SP Sport 5000 DSST CTT tires may not be the best, but I still expect more.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Steering racks are pretty different b/w the two. A few people have complained about the lack of feel, but most get used to it after awhile, it took me a good bit of daily driving to get remotely used to it. Still don't love it. But I've had a C6 Z06, 1 road coarse prepped turbo S2000(~500rwhp), a stock S2000, 15 Z/28(read RaceCar), so I was used to having the raw, natural feedback from the road and steering wheel. Sadly as more and more tech gets built into these cars, the less "feel" or feedback we receive from the steering system.

·
Super Moderator
2,761 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
I expected that my Infiniti would have "go cart" steering which equaled or exceeded my Honda.
My factory Dunlop SP Sport 5000 DSST CTT tires may not be the best, but I still expect more.
If you wanted a "go-cart" feel, you definitely purchased the wrong car. The Q60 has about 500 pounds on the 2009 Honda Accord. Also, the Q60 has a soft luxury suspension. I have a 2009 Mini Cooper JCW--that is absolutely a go-cart.

If you want to improve the handling of the AWD Q60, here is your currently available list:
  • Light-weight forged wheels
    • I find my car handles so much better with a staggered tire setup. I know most people state that staggered wheels add understeer, but I find this platform is awfully [edit]understeer[/edit] heavy and the staggered setup reduces it substantially.
  • Quality ultra-high performance summer tires
    • I am assuming you want to drive this on the road as well, so I recommend at minimum proper summer tires and not track-focused rubber.
    • All-season tires are junk--their only positive value is that people get a single set of tires for summer and winter; they are junk in winter, they are junk in summer.
    • Also, run flat tires are hot garbage--combined with the unfocused all-season compound, these are an absolute disaster to be driving on.
  • Upgraded rear anti-sway bar
    • Again, I know people state upgrading the rear anti-sway bar and leaving the front relatively smaller adds understeer, but on my Q60 and my purpose-built track car I found the oppositive to be true.
  • Red Sport with Dynamic Digital Suspension
    • You have the Luxe, so we missed this chance.
  • No Direct Adaptive Steering (DAS)
    • I do not find DAS to be bad, really; even on a closed track, it performed well. That being said, it will never replace the natural feel and response of a traditional steering rack.
    • If you have DAS, too late.
  • RS-R coilovers
    • If you had the Red Sport with DDS, this would be perfect for the RS-R Active coilovers.
    • Seeing as you have the Luxe, we need to go with the RS-R Sports-I coilovers.
    • Also, I am not saying RS-R is the best and this will solve the soft suspension feeling; these are just the best readily available coilovers for our platform.
  • Time to round out your suspension with camber arms, toe and traction arms, tie rods, and endlinks: SPL Parts.
    • The adjustable rear anti-sway bar endlinks should always be installed with the upgraded rear anti-sway bar.
    • The camber arms, toe and traction arms, and tie rods should be installed with/after the coilovers; not all of these are required for proper alignment for road use, but for track purposes, you will want each of these upgrades.
After all of that and a good alignment shop, you will have a great handling car, but it will not feel like a go-cart. The car will be smooth through bends and chicanes, but it will be too big and heavy for a "snap" steering.

Can you recommend an aftermarket steering rack for the AWD?
Yeah ... but no ... that is not a thing (unless you want to talk about a custom-built track car).

·
Registered
123 Posts
If you wanted a "go-cart" feel, you definitely purchased the wrong car. The Q60 has about 500 pounds on the 2009 Honda Accord. Also, the Q60 has a soft luxury suspension. I have a 2009 Mini Cooper JCW--that is absolutely a go-cart.

If you want to improve the handling of the AWD Q60, here is your currently available list:
  • Light-weight forged wheels
    • I find my car handles so much better with a staggered tire setup. I know most people state that staggered wheels add understeer, but I find this platform is awfully oversteer heavy and the staggered setup reduces it substantially.
  • Quality ultra-high performance summer tires
    • I am assuming you want to drive this on the road as well, so I recommend at minimum proper summer tires and not track-focused rubber.
    • All-season tires are junk--their only positive value is that people get a single set of tires for summer and winter; they are junk in winter, they are junk in summer.
    • Also, run flat tires are hot garbage--combined with the unfocused all-season compound, these are an absolute disaster to be driving on.
  • Upgraded rear anti-sway bar
    • Again, I know people state upgrading the rear anti-sway bar and leaving the front relatively smaller adds understeer, but on my Q60 and my purpose-built track car I found the oppositive to be true.
  • Red Sport with Dynamic Digital Suspension
    • You have the Luxe, so we missed this chance.
  • No Direct Adaptive Steering (DAS)
    • I do not find DAS to be bad, really; even on a closed track, it performed well. That being said, it will never replace the natural feel and response of a traditional steering rack.
    • If you have DAS, too late.
  • RS-R coilovers
    • If you had the Red Sport with DDS, this would be perfect for the RS-R Active coilovers.
    • Seeing as you have the Luxe, we need to go with the RS-R Sports-I coilovers.
    • Also, I am not saying RS-R is the best and this will solve the soft suspension feeling; these are just the best readily available coilovers for our platform.
  • Time to round out your suspension with camber arms, toe and traction arms, tie rods, and endlinks: SPL Parts.
    • The adjustable rear anti-sway bar endlinks should always be installed with the upgraded rear anti-sway bar.
    • The camber arms, toe and traction arms, and tie rods should be installed with/after the coilovers; not all of these are required for proper alignment for road use, but for track purposes, you will want each of these upgrades.
After all of that and a good alignment shop, you will have a great handling car, but it will not feel like a go-cart. The car will be smooth through bends and chicanes, but it will be too big and heavy for a "snap" steering.

Yeah ... but no ... that is not a thing (unless you want to talk about a custom-built track car).
Great post, I wish I could like it more than once.

·
Registered
703 Posts

• Light-weight forged wheels (Fall 2020)
    • I find my car handles so much better with a staggered tire setup. I know most people state that staggered wheels add understeer, but I find this platform is awfully oversteer heavy and the staggered setup reduces it substantially.
  • Quality ultra-high performance summer tires (Fall 2020)
  • Upgraded rear anti-sway bar(Done)
  • Red Sport with Dynamic Digital Suspension (Done)
    • You have the Luxe, so we missed this chance. (N/A)
  • No Direct Adaptive Steering (DAS) (Done)
  • RS-R coilovers
    • If you had the Red Sport with DDS, this would be perfect for the RS-R Active coilovers. (May 2020)
    • The adjustable rear anti-sway bar endlinks should always be installed with the upgraded rear anti-sway bar. (Done)
    • The camber arms, toe and traction arms, and tie rods should be installed with/after the coilovers; not all of these are required for proper alignment for road use, but for track purposes, you will want each of these upgrades. (May 2020)
Couldn't agree more. I used your reply as a checklist for my suspension and rolling stock upgrades.

Here's what I contracted a race shop in OR with and had them ordered earlier this week:

The only SPL Parts I did not opt for (yet) is the traction bars. I can add those later. My Q should get the work done either later next week or the following week.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Couldn't agree more. I used your reply as a checklist for my suspension and rolling stock upgrades.

Here's what I contracted a race shop in OR with and had them ordered earlier this week:

View attachment 22901

The only SPL Parts I did not opt for (yet) is the traction bars. I can add those later. My Q should get the work done either later next week or the following week.
If you don't mind me asking, how much are they charging you for installation of everything?

·
Registered
703 Posts
This meme made me laugh:

In my case, getting this work done at a discount during the Stay-at-Home order was too hard to pass up.

The C/O installation is $1k, and the suspension bits installation labor was discounted since "we're in there anyways". The alignment and corner balance is $350.

And, yes, I'm expecting some steering improvement. ;)

Reactions: Heelsfan78

·
Registered
97 Posts
for go-kart steering buy you an AP1 or 04-05 AP2 S2000. 06 and up went drive by wire for throttle and I hated it compared to the 04-05 throttle cable. Also, 05 and under did not come with TCS so you can get her sideways without any computers telling you NO.

Upgrade that suspension with some KW V3 coilovers, decent wheels/tires and you are set haha. Could prob. find a decent used one for 10-14k

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts